What's new

Is there an outlet device that will not power up after power outage?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am having a hard time Googling this for some reason, but I would think something like this exists. Rather than a temperature controller for my wineador, I am looking for a device to plug it into that will not power it back on after a power outage. Don't they make something like that for computers and other electronics?

We don't get power outages often by me, but they do happen, and a simple thing that just won't power my cooler after an outage is plenty good for my needs, the temp controllers seem like too much bother. Is there such a device?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I believe there may be a way to do this through utilizing a battery backup or UPS system. Let me do some digging and report back to you!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks! Anything that will not power up after an outage is fine, the cheaper the better, but a small computer UPS system would be great because it would smooth right over a short outage. If it depletes the battery I need to know power will not be restored after that, however.

My fear is that if I'm gone for a weekend or for a business trip it will come back on and take my 'gars down to 54*. Not good. Thanks for the help, brother!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
That's what I'm thinking. If I recall correctly, there is a model of UPS that after 9 minutes will automatically shut down and deactivate all appliances plugged in, but I want to be absolutely certain before pointing you in that direction!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh, they will definitely do that! My question is after power is restored will they power things up? That's what I want to avoid. After shutting stuff down, I do not want it to power it up again. And now that I think of it, a temperature controller will be cheaper than a UPS, sorry I did not think of that earlier. I'm really looking for a power strip that does not power on after an outage, if there is such a thing. That would be ideal.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any reason you dont want to go with an ETC?
Not really, I suppose. If I could find a power strip that just stays off after an outage, it is simpler and probably cheaper, no probe to use. Just set cooler for 66* and plug it in. If I cannot find that, I'm considering this ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4TJR00?psc=1

But a simple power strip that won't come on after an outage is ideal, I've just not ever seen one.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Not really, I suppose. If I could find a power strip that just stays off after an outage, it is simpler and probably cheaper, no probe to use. Just set cooler for 66* and plug it in. If I cannot find that, I'm considering this ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4TJR00?psc=1

But a simple power strip that won't come on after an outage is ideal, I've just not ever seen one.
Here's the ETC I used, it's only $15 on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-STC-1000-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-w-Sensor-AC-110V-/281368781200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4182e2e190

Here's my build, it's actually really simple to do:
http://www.botl.org/threads/stc-1000-wineador-electronic-temp-controller-build.67008/

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did see your project, looks great! But I'm lazy, if I don't find a simple power strip that won't come on after an outage, I'll just buy that unit on Amazon. I do like your project, though. And I have a few boxes that would work ...

Hmmmmmmm

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BINGO!

Found what I need!

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufacturing-30338018-08-Length-Connectors/dp/B0049B3DJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1436464411&sr=1-1&keywords=30338018-08

Must manually reset after power outage--it will remain off, perfect! I'll just use this and set the cooler to 66*. If power goes out it will wait for me to restart it. Simple.

I had the wrong part number earlier, it was an auto-reset. I fixed it and if you see this message, then the device linked to is the right one. I talked to a representative at the manufacturer. From the description ...

This Tower Manufacturing 30338018-08 15-amp, 125V 18" GFCI cord set is a ground fault circuit interrupter that shuts off an electric circuit when the current flows along an unintended path, providing personal protection from ground faults and open neutral conditions. It has a manual reset so equipment will not restart unsafely following a power interruption. This cord set has a three-prong National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) 5-15P plug to connect to grounded outlets and a single grounded NEMA 5-15R outlet for a tool or machinery. It has an impact-resistant case for durability and safety, a red LED indicator to inform users when the power is on, and test and reset buttons for periodic testing of the device. This GFCI power cord is suitable for use with heavy duty power tools and portable equipment on construction sites.
[/thread]

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There is a less-expensive alternative, I just ordered! It is a male, 3-prong outlet with the manual reset functionality. Just cut off the male plug for the NewAir and wire this onto the power cord! Easy-peasy.

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufacturing-30334010-08-Yellow-Attachable/dp/B002072CUW/ref=lp_3445700011_1_16?srs=3445700011&ie=UTF8&qid=1436465157&sr=8-16

Perhaps not as "cool" as the temperature controller, but very simple, I like it a lot!

Edit and one more, midway between other two price-wise, but no wiring required

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049B3DJ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
If you change your mind about the ETC ...
FWIW... the ETC stores settings on an EPROM chip so that in the event of a power failure it retains its steins once powered back on.
Ive wired two of them and they are easy.

I use the ETC111000 units and get them new on eBay for under $45.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, I do get it. The temp controllers are fool-proof. I understand. But I keep my place no higher than 75* when I'm gone and we have maybe 2-3 brief outages a year. I think folks tend to overthink wineadors (I'm prone to that affliction, too), but this plug and then setting it manually back to 66* when I need to is fine. I think additional fans are unnecessary, too, and won't bother with them unless I see a problem. Thanks for the thread, though, I can always do a temp controller if I want to.

And given my somewhat OCD nature, it wouldn't surprise me if I do someday. :D

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
BINGO!

Found what I need!

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufacturing-30338018-08-Length-Connectors/dp/B0049B3DJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1436464411&sr=1-1&keywords=30338018-08

Must manually reset after power outage--it will remain off, perfect! I'll just use this and set the cooler to 66*. If power goes out it will wait for me to restart it. Simple.

I had the wrong part number earlier, it was an auto-reset. I fixed it and if you see this message, then the device linked to is the right one. I talked to a representative at the manufacturer. From the description ...

[/thread]
That will not do what you are looking for. It works just like a GFCI outlet. You can plug and unplug power tools from it all day and they will work fine until you drop your electric mower in the pool or draw to much power, cut through the cord, ect. Then it will trip and you will have to reset it manually after setting said power tool in a safe condition. The cheapest rout is with an ETC.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
It looks like you found what your looking for. Another option you could have gone with is a powers trip that they use to save energy. If your tv turns off ( monitored by the first or master ) then all other outlets turn off. If you had say a cable box plugged into the master plug it would kick off in the outage and keep everything else on the plug from coming on until you turn it on after the outage.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That will not do what you are looking for. It works just like a GFCI outlet. You can plug and unplug power tools from it all day and they will work fine until you drop your electric mower in the pool or draw to much power, cut through the cord, ect. Then it will trip and you will have to reset it manually after setting said power tool in a safe condition. The cheapest rout is with an ETC.
Just to clarify for anyone else following this thread, and with respect (not trying to step on your toes), this does EXACTLY what I want it to do. I think you understand what the device does, but not my objective. There are two types of GFCI outlets, at least with respect to how they handle power outages. One is "auto reset" and after a power outage, when power is restored, it will pass power. The other is like this one, after power outage it WILL NOT pass power until I reset it, and this is what I wanted. Others may want different functionality, but for me, this is both a) perfect, and b) my cheapest route.

For those who do understand what I wanted and why I wanted it, this is the perfect solution for you. If you want the cooler to always be on and set at its highest temperature setting, even after a power outage, then you do, in fact, want a temperature controller.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just to clarify for anyone else following this thread, and with respect (not trying to step on your toes), this does EXACTLY what I want it to do. I think you understand what the device does, but not my objective. There are two types of GFCI outlets, at least with respect to how they handle power outages. One is "auto reset" and after a power outage, when power is restored, it will pass power. The other is like this one, after power outage it WILL NOT pass power until I reset it, and this is what I wanted. Others may want different functionality, but for me, this is both a) perfect, and b) my cheapest route.

For those who do understand what I wanted and why I wanted it, this is the perfect solution for you. If you want the cooler to always be on and set at its highest temperature setting, even after a power outage, then you do, in fact, want a temperature controller.
Cool with me. I know what you are trying to accomplish and in my misguided opinion this wasn't it. Hopefully it will work out for you and your intended purpose.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I appreciate you looking out for me, I could have been making a mistake (not an uncommon occurrence) but yeah, that does it. The part numbers that don't have the "-08" are the auto reset versions and they won't, so to anyone who is looking to do what I am doing be very careful what you order. The auto reset ones will pass power after an outage and you'll come back to find your stogies at 54*!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sorry, I meant to come back here and confirm this thing works. It does. If, like me, your apartment should be at 75* or less and you are not worried enough about that to have a Temp Controller, this is perfect. I have it plugged into a power strip and when I turn the power off, it trips, and when I turn the power back on, this stays dead until I reset it. That's exactly what I want and if there is a power outage when I'm out for a business trip, the worst that happens is the cigars are at 75* till I get back. If the outage lasts several days and temps could go higher, well, the temp controller won't help you anyway, right? Power is out. And I freeze everything in storage anyway, so I don't worry about it.

If you like this simple system, buy with confidence, just make sure you find one withe "-08" in the product number. BTW, I don't fiddle with extra fans, either. According to my two hygrometers, my cooler is at 67% RH near the top and 65% near the bottom, and even my OCD is not bad enough for me to worry about that. As long as all parts of it stay within the 65%-70% range I don't care about small differences. Wineadors can be simple! :)