What's new

Is this a problem?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How do beatle infestations occur? Is it something that happens at retail usually or due to humidor conditions over long periods of storage?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My understanding is beetles lay eggs on the plant, after the tobacco is rolled if allowed to reach temps above 71 degrees, allows the eggs to hatch and begin the eating process, and eventually laying more eggs and more destruction. vacuum sealing is one way to destroy the eggs before they hatch. Another way to revent is to maintain temps below 70 degrees, thus the winador comes in. I keep my house at 70 degrees, thus my cooler stay at 70-71 with rh of 67%. Hopefully preventing growth of eggs.
This comes from "The Idiots guide to Cigars".

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Interesting that vacuum sealing would destroy the eggs. Temperature and humidity control are definitely the surest way to prevent or control the problem. It's hurricane season so I sure hope we don't lose power for an extended time!

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The vacuum crushes the eggs.
"To destroy the eggs, most manufacturers place finished cigars in large vacuum chambers. The process doesn't harm the cigars, but it crushes the eggs."
Interesting process.