What's new

Is this mold or plume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Is this mold or plume/bloom?

It's the only Cigar in my humidor that has it.

I'm thinking plume because my humidor is a glass top made in China and I can never keep the humidity up near 70. Usually only in the 50-60 range.

Ironically, I'm in the process of setting up a larger tupperdore to house my sticks when I found this one.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
We need to setup an algorithm that automatically closes threads like this
This is something I've been thinking about lately too. There have always been these 'mold or plume' threads but it seems like an epidemic lately. As you say, it's ALWAYS mold - no matter what your overseas vendor may tell you. If you're fortunate enough to have a cigar that has been aged long enough to acquire plume, you know exactly what you're holding. If you have to guess or you're not sure....it's mold. Also, that's a brutally fake Cohiba, as others before me have said.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Guys, I'm sorry. I've been a member for a couple of years. I Introduced myself back when I started but since then I've only lurked. I'm def not trolling.

I guess I'm confused because you said it's a fake, but I'm not asking if nor claiming that this cigar is "real". I honestly don't care if it's a fake -- it was given to me by a friend several years ago, so no loss on my part if it's a fake. I do not purchase cigars from overseas vendors because I know the likelihood of it being fake, and honestly I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

I was legitimately concerned that it might be mold, and if so I would def banish it from my humidor. So I came here to get some expert advice. My apologies because it seems that I've asked a stupid question. I def did not intend to annoy.

@nachodaddy -- When I said "I don't get it" it was because I didn't understand why you were telling me it was a fake when I was asking about whether it's mold or plume. Also the "don't stick cigars in your ears" comment seemed kind of obnoxious so I wanted to clarify. I guess your comment was justified because apparently I've asked a very stupid question.

The only reason I asked instead of assuming it was mold, is because it is the only cigar (out of 100+) in my humidor that has that. And it is only on the head/cap area, and not on the foot. Since I don't know how long my friend had it before giving it to me, and because my humidor is never above 80% humidity (as I mentioned it actually has trouble holding humidity) I was hoping it wasn't mold.

Since this is obviously a fake, I guess there's no reason to risk it, so I will just throw it away.

Thanks for the help and I apologize for asking such an obviously annoying and dumb question.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Guys, I'm sorry. I've been a member for a couple of years. I Introduced myself back when I started but since then I've only lurked. I'm def not trolling.

I guess I'm confused because you said it's a fake, but I'm not asking if nor claiming that this cigar is "real". I honestly don't care if it's a fake -- it was given to me by a friend several years ago, so no loss on my part if it's a fake. I do not purchase cigars from overseas vendors because I know the likelihood of it being fake, and honestly I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

I was legitimately concerned that it might be mold, and if so I would def banish it from my humidor. So I came here to get some expert advice. My apologies because it seems that I've asked a stupid question. I def did not intend to annoy.

@nachodaddy -- When I said "I don't get it" it was because I didn't understand why you were telling me it was a fake when I was asking about whether it's mold or plume. Also the "don't stick cigars in your ears" comment seemed kind of obnoxious so I wanted to clarify. I guess your comment was justified because apparently I've asked a very stupid question.

The only reason I asked instead of assuming it was mold, is because it is the only cigar (out of 100+) in my humidor that has that. And it is only on the head/cap area, and not on the foot. Since I don't know how long my friend had it before giving it to me, and because my humidor is never above 80% humidity (as I mentioned it actually has trouble holding humidity) I was hoping it wasn't mold.

Since this is obviously a fake, I guess there's no reason to risk it, so I will just throw it away.

Thanks for the help and I apologize for asking such an obviously annoying and dumb question.
It's a fine question and I apologize for some of the responses on this thread, some were rather rude. This is a great community to ask questions and no question is a dumb one in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Gents, once again be respectful when making posts. Not everyone may or may not share your expertise about cigars. Remember, hiding behind a keyboard and screen people may not understand you are being humorous or see the emotion behind your wording. And for the so called experts, remember, you did not start off this hobby knowing everything and I guarantee you that someone knows more than you do. But for the most part, you have been shown respect and understanding during and to your Ascension to Guru status.

Shaking my head at some of you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.