What's new

ISO Veteran Picks by Brand

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The problem with this question is it’s like asking “Which clothes should I try from what clothing brands?”

It’s hard to answer unless we know your style. Figure that out first.

What kinds of flavors appeal to you? Do you like heavy flavors or are you a more medium guy? Lots of brands have lots of lines and if you prefer Connecticut wrappers and a mild profile, recommending Crowned Heads’ heavy maduros which typify their brand is just going to turn you off to the brand... but they make a great Connecticut that’s a bit outside their regular box and not what I think of when I think “Crowned Heads.”

Does that make sense? Rather than pursuing brands, take brands you see mentioned a lot here (or, the ones your local shop actually carries) and try cigars within that brand that appear to be up your alley. Or start a thread asking for recommendations of cigars that meet certain criteria. You’ll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Illusione - any lines really

But my top smokes from them...

OneOff any
Fume d amour clementes
ECCJ corona gorda
And the Rothschildes
Oh the holy lancero natural too

And the MJ12
Thanks, I've had the Roth on my shopping list for awhile. It's good to know I'm on the right track and not chasing mediocre sticks.
The problem with this question is it’s like asking “Which clothes should I try from what clothing brands?”

It’s hard to answer unless we know your style. Figure that out first.

What kinds of flavors appeal to you? Do you like heavy flavors or are you a more medium guy? Lots of brands have lots of lines and if you prefer Connecticut wrappers and a mild profile, recommending Crowned Heads’ heavy maduros which typify their brand is just going to turn you off to the brand... but they make a great Connecticut that’s a bit outside their regular box and not what I think of when I think “Crowned Heads.”

Does that make sense? Rather than pursuing brands, take brands you see mentioned a lot here (or, the ones your local shop actually carries) and try cigars within that brand that appear to be up your alley. Or start a thread asking for recommendations of cigars that meet certain criteria. You’ll get a lot more bang for your buck.
All these answers make sense. And I'm asking an impossible question to answer, due to personal tastes being unique to the individual. I guess I'm just looking for a narrowing of the field by brands. A "my experience with brand X, but YMMV..."

In terms of flavors... I'm not one to recite all the flavors I taste in a cigar because, well, I dont really identify them well. Same with bourbon, which is a hobby I consider myself fairly advanced in. I know what I like, and can give some very basic descriptions, but that's as far as it goes...

My biggest handicap in cigars is that I don't smoke enough. My wife hates them, and I have both older (anti-smoking) and younger (impressionable) kids around. My opportunities are limited... that makes exploring an entire brand a long process. Not to mention that many of the B&M have a limited selection of certain brands, or a vast selection of others. In the first case, am I even seeing a good cigar on the shelf? In the second, am I getting the good cigar, or one of their lesser offerings?

I guess it's a journey... ill get there eventually.

FYI, I just smoked a MF Le Bijou while doing some outside work. Loved it. A tight draw, but flavor was spot on.20181202_131758.jpg

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks, I've had the Roth on my shopping list for awhile. It's good to know I'm on the right track and not chasing mediocre sticks.

All these answers make sense. And I'm asking an impossible question to answer, due to personal tastes being unique to the individual. I guess I'm just looking for a narrowing of the field by brands. A "my experience with brand X, but YMMV..."

In terms of flavors... I'm not one to recite all the flavors I taste in a cigar because, well, I dont really identify them well. Same with bourbon, which is a hobby I consider myself fairly advanced in. I know what I like, and can give some very basic descriptions, but that's as far as it goes...

My biggest handicap in cigars is that I don't smoke enough. My wife hates them, and I have both older (anti-smoking) and younger (impressionable) kids around. My opportunities are limited... that makes exploring an entire brand a long process. Not to mention that many of the B&M have a limited selection of certain brands, or a vast selection of others. In the first case, am I even seeing a good cigar on the shelf? In the second, am I getting the good cigar, or one of their lesser offerings?

I guess it's a journey... ill get there eventually.

FYI, I just smoked a MF Le Bijou while doing some outside work. Loved it. A tight draw, but flavor was spot on.View attachment 126494
It looks like you are well on your way my friend. You are blessed to have an excellent B&M within reach which is something many of us don't have. You have gotten some excellent advice and its just a matter of time! The cigar hobby is a great patience builder. But always keep an eye to the skies!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I can give you an assignment find these 4 cigars and tell me which one you like the most and why.
Tatuaje j21
H uppman Florida sun grown
Warped el oso
Aging room f55
They are all nice cigars that I would smoke on any given day but they are all very different in profile

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
OK lots of good responses here....one thing I didn't see mentioned is 'Don't take sand to the beach'.

There are tons of good NC's we have available to us, and many are much better than some CC's. That being said if I were traveling to a country where I could acquire and smoke my favorite CC's, I would plan on that instead. Where are you flying into? Maybe @herfdog could point you to some places to get you some decent smokes in his country.

Other than that (and I am far from a vet) the advice given so far is a good starting point. The number one thing I saw here to follow religiously is to keep a journal. The first time I smoke a cigar, its band gets taped in my journal with my notes so I have a reference point that is specific to my tastes.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Coming to Canada eh?

Whereabouts are you heading at?

Remember Canada's the second biggest. Lotsa places.

Be ready to have a hard time finding cigar stores, not being able to smoke in them, and pay at least 3x your usual price.

That said, you'll find all the CC you ever wanted to try.

Don't be shy if you have any questions

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
OK lots of good responses here....one thing I didn't see mentioned is 'Don't take sand to the beach'.

There are tons of good NC's we have available to us, and many are much better than some CC's. That being said if I were traveling to a country where I could acquire and smoke my favorite CC's, I would plan on that instead. Where are you flying into? Maybe @herfdog could point you to some places to get you some decent smokes in his country.

Other than that (and I am far from a vet) the advice given so far is a good starting point. The number one thing I saw here to follow religiously is to keep a journal. The first time I smoke a cigar, its band gets taped in my journal with my notes so I have a reference point that is specific to my tastes.
Coming to Canada eh?

Whereabouts are you heading at?

Remember Canada's the second biggest. Lotsa places.

Be ready to have a hard time finding cigar stores, not being able to smoke in them, and pay at least 3x your usual price.

That said, you'll find all the CC you ever wanted to try.

Don't be shy if you have any questions
Sorry, I must have been confusing... My trip to Canada was in October, and was my first real immersion into cigars. I took a selection along and smoked daily, giving me the opportunity to figure out what I preferred while previous selections were fresh in my mind. This trip is where my decision to "delve deeper" happened... Did see some CC at the duty free, but wasnt sure about import policy, so didnt pursue.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I can give you an assignment find these 4 cigars and tell me which one you like the most and why.
Tatuaje j21
Warped el oso
Aging room f55
They are all nice cigars that I would smoke on any given day but they are all very different in profile
I'll do this. Quick online search showed 3 of 4, the Florida Sungrown wasnt shown. I'll check the B&M today and grab what's available.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Tatuaje j21
Warped el oso
Aging room f55
My usual shop was a complete swing-and-a-miss. I'll try #2 tomorrow. I did find an Illusione Roth, though.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
@navyvet, I checked for your 4 cigars on my homework assignment at another B&M and only found the aging room f55. Took it to the lounge and had a smoke.

Overall, I liked it. I'm horrible at describing flavors, but this one seemed to have a reasonable level of spice, and a coffee like bitterness. There was a lack of the hint of sweetness I've found in cigars I've really enjoyed (MF judge, le bijou, CAO brasilia), although it left a pleasant leather like taste in the palate between draws.

This one, the Expressivo 5x50, had a very easy draw, almost too easy compared to what I'm used to, but burned flawlessly and held a good ash.

Btw, I did have a medium roast coffee I occasionally sipped while smoking.

On a side note, the H Uppman Florida Sungrown has proven elusive by that specific name. Plenty of Sungrown, but nothing with "florida". 20181204_112319.jpg
Bought a CAO Amazon fuma em corda and CH Jericho Hill too.

Last edited:

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0