Votes: 22 61.1%
  • B

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I've never smoked an ISOM before. Honestly, I'm not even convinced that it's not just hype. Please don't be offended by this--but most people that I've met (forums excluded) who smoke them are not people who I'd consider knowledgeable about cigars at all. They just get them to impress clients or look cool.

Granted, I'm still new to the regular cigar-smoking world, but it seems like some of the folks here would put various ISOMs as their top 20 or 30 favorite cigars...to each his own, but I find it hard to believe that so many cigars from one place are nearly "automatically" superior.

I mean, are there really 30 cigars that can "blow away" an Olde World Reserve, just to pick one example?

Anyway, I'm really not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just trying to understand. Is it just that some people really like a specific flavor profile that happens to be from a specific area? Is it just nostalgia or status? WHAT'S THE DEAL! lol.

I guess the only comparison I can make is that my wife and I love sweet wines from Germany--specifically the Rhineland, and specifically 2 regions of the Rhineland. Now, I'm guessing it's more that those areas happen to make the wines we like at affordable prices rather than some "magical" element that allows those wines to only taste good in that one place. I.E.--seed taken from the ground of one place and grown in another very similar place may be slightly different, but will it really be THAT different? We have had sweet wines from places like Canada and even the US that are also great.

Another example: Are Napa Valley wines really so superior to other US wines, or is it just good PR?

Okay, rant ended.

Last edited:

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I understand perfectly what ye are saying there, mate; yet ye must admit: Cuba is an important exponent for cigars be it for history or for whatever motive ye might have. Ye should not think that if it's Cuban it's good, or vice versa at all; but, it's a completely different flavor profile that one of ISOMs which ye have yet to try. That is the reason behind me doing this list. To have a reference for all those who are looking to try but are uncertain wether to what to try. It is not that they are better; it is simply that they are and shouldn't be disregarded, just as Dominicans, Nicaraguan,...

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Njstone:
- Cuban cigars are not automatically superior (There is the Cuban 'twang' that only really comes from the tobacco produced there. Some Tatuaje stuff has been getting pretty close.)
-"..are there really 30 cigars that can "blow away" an Olde World Reserve?" - Absolutely.
-Your last bit is spot on. It's a taste thing, as always. Cuba does not hold exclusive rights to the best tobacco in the world, but they definitely have some. There is nothing else out there that truly compares to an Opus, Padron, LFD, etc., etc...
Not to mention that my 'palate' is constantly changing and making me crave new things. Lately I've had a few that made me realise how incredibly good a cc can be.

Bottom line for me is that variety is the spice of life. I wouldn't want to smoke any one cigar for the rest of my life. (Either that or I just haven't found it yet!)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I mean, are there really 30 cigars that can "blow away" an Olde World Reserve, just to pick one example?

Partagas Sdc #1
Monte #2
Monte #1
Cohiba Sig series
ERDM Choix supreme
PsD4
Just to name a few
Some of the aged stuff are the best cigar experiences I've ever had.

It is a different flavor, and different pallets/people enjoy different stuff.

And the guys that buy them to look cool are probably getting fakes anyway. For a lot of people the risk is not worth it, since there are a lot of really good non-Cuban cigars that are readily available, with no legal reprocusions. For some the allure of the Darkside is irresitable and wouldn't consider buying anything but.

Personaly I love em, but don't have the means to explore too often.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks for all the info, gang. Hopefully the Embargo will end sometime soon and I can try everything on both lists and let you know :skew:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add:

Por Larranaga Magnificos
Bolivar Corona Extras
H. Upmann Magnum 50, Super Corona
El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme
Partagas Shorts

Probably a bunch more I could add, these were the ones that I have been smoking lately.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like A are the best choice, but don't know all of them. I suspect i will learn more about them in time!

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok, since list A won by over 60%, that one is the one that will stay as reference for anyone venturing into the world of Cuban cigars. Anyone knows how to take the poll option out?