What's new

It truly is all about the cigar

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Folks,
I beg your indulgence for a few minutes, as this post doesn't fit most of the "standards" of the normal post on this board, but it does have a point.

I've been a member of this forum for a while now, but have been off the grid for a while. I joined the board back in ’07, and from the beginning cigars were a large part of my life. I had no specific stress, no real worries, but in a good cigar I found solace and retreat.

In 2008 I went back to work for DOD, and ended up doing two rotations in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. No, I wasn’t doing the fighting, and I would never sully the honor of those that were, and are, by implying that I was anything other than one of those guys who worked on the gear in the rear echelon. I did my time in utilities (what we called them before they became “BDUs”), but those days are more than a decade past.

During those periods of deployment cigars were a huge part of my life. All the bases I was on were dry, civilians were forbidden from dalliances with Military members, and recreation was where you could find it. I planned each deployment out as far in advance as I could, and that always included pre-staging cigars. I always sent a Pelican Case full of cigars ahead, and that box always included the basics. I am a big DPG fan, so a box or two of 1950s always went, along with some Padron brown labels. The key part of the equation, though, was the Tatuajes. The Petites were a great 25 minute smoke for a break during the day, and the Noellas were just the ticket for the evening when there was time for a longer escape. I’ve always loved the flavor of those two cigars, and they really became my main source of relaxation.

For most of the time I was deploying, and since I got back for the last time in January of 2010, I have not been active on BOTL, for reasons that seemed completely rational to me at the time. I was always too busy, I didn’t have the resources, it was cloudy/rainy/hot/cold, whatever. When I got back this last time, I moved from Maryland to Mississippi, and part of that move involved the cigars. I’ve got a down sized Stabel cabinet I bought from Bob a few years ago, and a Cuban footlocker, both full of boxes. I continued to smoke cigars, but would often go weeks in between. Just too busy worrying about everything else, I guess.

Then, yesterday, I decided that I needed a fairly short smoke to scratch the itch, since I don’t have a couple of hours to dedicate to a longer one in the evening. Dug through the mental archives, and realized that I needed a relatively short Tat to fill the bill. Visited the local B&M, but stock is limited. So I called NHC (outstanding service as always Dan), and ordered a box of Petites and a box of Noellas. Then, this morning, I decided to check the cabinet and the footlocker to see if maybe I didn’t have a stray of either one of those already on hand. Eureka!! At the bottom of the footlocker I found an unopened box of Noellas.

After supper and walking the dog tonight, I opened a Guiness Extra Stout, and put flame to a Noella.

That small, very basic, yet exquisitely flavorful cigar truly landed me back at my base. That feeling, that satisfaction, is why I smoke cigars. From the hands of the workers who planted, tended, and harvested the plants, and finally rolled the tobacco into the cigar I so enjoyed, to the here and now. Thank you Pete, and while I will always have Don Pepin’s cigars in my humidor(s), the Noella truly brought me home.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your community,

Mark

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Enjoyed the read as well. Great story and welcome back. :)

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Thanks for sharing!

On a side note, I just went and checked the bottom of my fridge and the one empty humi I left to season....NO aged boxes of Tats in either of em, so apparently it doesn't work for everyone...lol

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
That was a great piece you wrote, there. I really enjoyed reading it.

Thanks so much for sharing. Those experiences - and our willingness to share them with each other - are what make this place so very special.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Great story man. Stop and smell the roses. :cbig:I see you have excellent taste in both beer and cigars. I love Guiness from the tap but bottle does the job.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent story. Every time I have a few mediocre cigars in a row, I fire up a Tat something-or-other, and all is right with the world again. :)

Thanks for sharing.

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Great read i really enjoyed it and i truly know what you mean. Being in Afghanistan now between missions/convoys i find truly little time to relax and enjoy in the traditional sense being that groundhog is everyday out here. But believe me you can never be too prepared for a deployment i know when im out of the Marine Corps in 6 months ill miss those cool desert nights in Helmand with my stogie and a nice stiff Becks Non-Alcoholic.
-Cheers Brother and always the best!

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Great story and welcome back. However, I say, cigars are never the main event, it's the people, the conversation, the laughter, the brotherhood.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great story and welcome back. However, I say, cigars are never the main event, it's the people, the conversation, the laughter, the brotherhood.
I do enjoy going to the B&M on the weekend and having a smoke and conversation. On the other hand I also enjoy having one sitting quietly by myself reading a good book with the dog on the couch. But then again it's been said that I'm not an overly social creature by nature.

Mark