What's new

Its called a LP for long play.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Last night, I setup a stereo in my office. Cheap receiver that's loud enough to piss off my wife, 5 disc CD player, two book shelf speakers and I decided to hook up THE TURNTABLE. Now for you youngsters who are unfamilar with the terminology we'll get Sherman, Mr. Peabody and the Wayback machine and dial back to 1985.

I broke out albums that I have not heard in twenty years. At least not in their true form. Pink Floyd, Wish you were here. Joe Walsh, Bruce Springstein, The Kinks, Foghat, Steppenwolf, and so on. All in genuine vinyl with all the skips, pops, and hisses that the analog gods intended.

This station thought you'd like to know.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I wonder what the potheads use in place of a double album to get the seeds out? I can see them now trying to use a double CD or MP3 player for that task.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Awesome.

As a kid I used to listen to my Dad's old reel-to-reel and 8-track player...not many records though.
got my dad's reel-to-reel and all the tapes! hours and hours of the Ventures, Platters, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley Diana Ross and the Supremes, Bill Cosby (great stuff,,, NOAH??), Chet Atkins, Johnny Cash, Doc Severson, Glen Cambell, Neil Diamond.... WOW, nice memories!! ha! how about the Smothers Brothers!! now THAT's funny stuff!!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
We used to have some pack rat storing his stuff in our garage and basement, he had probably a hundred crates of assorted records he had picked up at garage sales over the years. He skipped out on us and stopped paying rent for the storage space and we ended up owning them all. Eventually my dad found buyers and we sold them off. I still have a few crates of hand picked stuff from the collection, but some days I wish they were still there because you learn about some new kind of music or artist and who knows what treasures were in there that we had no idea about. I guess the record collectors who hand picked stuff days before the official announced garage sale knew what was worth money anyway.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Nikko direct drive turn table. 250 some odd albums. Don't use it much anymore but its funn once and a while. Retro ha. Nice.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I grew up with a turntable and albums. Thats all my parents had. When I started to buy tapes my parents were not to big on the technology. Once CD's came out I had a hard time to get them to convert over.

Every once and a while I go over my parents and they got the old albums playing.

Too bad most youths today will never hear the sound of an albums because I think they have their own distinct sound

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Originally Posted by Headbanger
I wonder what the potheads use in place of a double album to get the seeds out? I can see them now trying to use a double CD or MP3 player for that task.

Just make brownies and forget the seeds!

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had one tonight with a bad scratch that kept skipping. I was tempted to stack nickels on the arm until the stylus bored a new line, but I have no idea where the hell I'm going to find a replacement stylus.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I had one tonight with a bad scratch that kept skipping. I was tempted to stack nickels on the arm until the stylus bored a new line, but I have no idea where the hell I'm going to find a replacement stylus.
The tricks us young kids don't know about.....