What's new

Javaman's coffee

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Thejavaman hit me with a bag of coffee. What he didn't know was today was my first official day as a FOG. My wife brewed a batch this morning. She is a coffee snob and me not so much. I just have to say a big thanks to Kevin as this was the perfect way to start my day. This may have been the best cup of coffee either of us has had. It's med-full body and full on flavor. The power of the coffee doesn't over power the complexity of flavors. I got dark chocolate and roasted nuts with a hint or caramel. If compared to a cigar it reminded me of the first PAM 1964 I ever had. Thanks again. I will not forget this.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sounds delish! But let's be real Mike, this wasn't your first official day as a FOG. You just don't remember your true first day as a FOG which is understandable. :)

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Sounds delish! But let's be real Mike, this wasn't your first official day as a FOG. You just don't remember your true first day as a FOG which is understandable. :)
You could be correct. Now thinking that cup of coffee this morning made time travel a real possibility. It was just that damn good.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I'm really glad that you & your wife enjoyed it! The thing I love about coffee roasting is the variety (sort of like fine cigars). For example, take that El Salvador bean I sent you, if I chose to roast it 2 minutes longer (darker) or 2 minutes shorter (lighter), it could have completely changed the cup character & flavors. I love experimenting with different regions & roast levels to hit that "sweet spot" where all the variables come together to create a memorable experience. Don't even get me started on espresso either.....that's a whole different story and I'm totally obsessed with it as well! :)

Palmettoguy

42-28'48'' N
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Yep, his coffee is delish. I'm a Dunkies guy during the week, but on the weekends...I only drink his coffee when I can really enjoy it ;-)

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Yep, his coffee is delish. I'm a Dunkies guy during the week, but on the weekends...I only drink his coffee when I can really enjoy it ;-)
Believe it or not, Dunkin Donuts buys better quality coffee than Starbucks - and they roast it a hell of a lot lighter, so you can actually taste the varietal characteristics of the coffee, as opposed to the "burnt brown water" flavor from CHARbucks.... :)

Thanks for the shout out too guys, it's good to know other people like something you've "created"

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Believe it or not, Dunkin Donuts buys better quality coffee than Starbucks - and they roast it a hell of a lot lighter, so you can actually taste the varietal characteristics of the coffee, as opposed to the "burnt brown water" flavor from CHARbucks.... :)
Is that actually documented/proven anywhere? I've been saying the same thing for years, but it was always something I had just heard from people in coffee shops, online, etc. It doesn't make for a very good argument when my only validating point is that "some guy on the internet agrees with me"

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Is that actually documented/proven anywhere? I've been saying the same thing for years, but it was always something I had just heard from people in coffee shops, online, etc. It doesn't make for a very good argument when my only validating point is that "some guy on the internet agrees with me"
I remember seeing purchase orders listing each of those companies buying habits (coffee grades/farms used/futures buying contracts, etc.) a couple years ago. I'll see if I can find it. The proof is in the taste if you ask me! ;)

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
It doesn't make for a very good argument when my only validating point is that "some guy on the internet agrees with me"
agree that accepting anecdotal evidence is weak, but imagine this: you hear serious criticism here about a cigar, from many members of varied rank, and reasoning behind it to back it up. now see if you hear starbucks criticisms from impassioned people who drink, think about, and truly try to appreciate coffee culture. you do.

can't knock them, as they have raised coffee awareness in more people than i thought possible, and made a mint in the process. like sam adam's and beer.