What's new

Jeans and Blazer

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Posted this at B&B as well, but i'd like your guys' thoughts as well.

I am new to wearing jeans with a blazer. I'm just looking for a little advice here. I understand that when wearing a 2 button coat the top button should be buttoned unless seated. Does this rule hold true when wearing with jeans in a casual setting? Charcoal Cashmier or Grey Houndstooth if that matters. Thanks for the advise and i look forward to seeing some knowledge dropped on me here!!

Regards
Dave

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Posted this at B&B as well, but i'd like your guys' thoughts as well.

I am new to wearing jeans with a blazer. I'm just looking for a little advice here. I understand that when wearing a 2 button coat the top button should be buttoned unless seated. Does this rule hold true when wearing with jeans in a casual setting? Charcoal Cashmier or Grey Houndstooth if that matters. Thanks for the advise and i look forward to seeing some knowledge dropped on me here!!

Regards
Dave
That's awesome! I so gotta get me a blazer next time I see a cool one at the resale shop.

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Yeah, no need to button it in a casual setting. That's whats great about the blazer and nice jeans combo, you can go from a casual lunch to a slightly fancier meeting, button up, and no one will really think anything of it- and if they do, that's their own stinking problem.

Couple things here. Make sure the jeans fit well- no baggy jeans, no "skinny jeans" (instant man-card revokable offense). Shoes, belt, and watch can really make or break your outfit and can help with dressing up, or dressing down for the overall situation. Consider picking up a bowtie that you can throw on when you really want to "Class the place up". Plus, they can add some fun to an otherwise boring outfit. As a bonus: chicks dig em. Extra Credit: grow a beard- you'll look good no matter what you wear.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I picked these 2 up used today..... $5.00 for a Bill Blass Cashmier and $2.50 for a haggar houndstooth. I'll take that all day!!
That's awesome. When I was in college I picked up an amazing double breasted wool long overcoat at good will for 15$ It was hand made in London. I bet it was over 250 new easily. I've never looked it up though. I ran around looking like a lawyer. Id go out and jaws would drop heheh I still have it and wear it occasionally.

As a bonus: chicks dig em. Extra Credit: grow a beard- you'll look good no matter what you wear.
Well spoken cigar jedi well spoken

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tend to wear jeans with blazers a lot and it happens to keep one from being kicked out of places that require some type of clothing requirement like while on cruises. I have about 15 blazers that look great with jeans and a nice sport shirt or T Shirts made to be worn with blazers look just as good. As far as buttoning them I don't button them...I don't like the look so I keep it casual yet it still looks good. There are some suit jackets that look good with jeans as well but you should wear a very nice looking sport shirt to complete a good luck.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I tend to wear jeans with blazers a lot and it happens to keep one from being kicked out of places that require some type of clothing requirement like while on cruises. I have about 15 blazers that look great with jeans and a nice sport shirt or T Shirts made to be worn with blazers look just as good. As far as buttoning them I don't button them...I don't like the look so I keep it casual yet it still looks good. There are some suit jackets that look good with jeans as well but you should wear a very nice looking sport shirt to complete a good luck.
What do you mean by sport shirt? a button down with a color?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you mean by sport shirt? a button down with a color?
Yeah.....a quality sport shirt with button down or it can even be a white shirt with a tie as well. You can even wear the nice t shirts that have a high neck custom look...not the stretched out neck.....a tight crew neck.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Check into Johnston & Murphy for some great sport coats and even better "sport shirts"...the button down, long sleeve shirts that look great untucked. I work in an industry where jeans at the office is totally expected so when I show up with a nice shirt and sport coat it makes me look like the CEO. And it certainly got me noticed at the corporate office.
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/mens-sportshirts
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/mens-blazers

J&M also has retail outlet stores that knock about 50% off the price.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ANd for what it's worth, the older I get the more I understand that good quality clothing makes a difference in how you look...meaning I'm not gonna wear a button down shirt from The Gap to corporate. I still wear Gap clothing, but not in the professional setting. The $50 difference is totally noticeable in that environment and totally worth the investment.

You get what you pay for.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm in the minority and think jeans and a nice blazer are usually tacky. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. If you want to wear jeans, wear jeans. I don't see the purpose of "casual formal."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the minority and think jeans and a nice blazer are usually tacky. If you want to wear a suit, wear a suit. If you want to wear jeans, wear jeans. I don't see the purpose of "casual formal."
At one point I would have completely agreed with you. That being said - it really has become a regional and profession thing. Were I to wear a suit everyday here, 95% of the time I would look like an Eh-Hole trying to upstage my boss. It wouldn't go over that well.

Couple things here. Make sure the jeans fit well- no baggy jeans, no "skinny jeans" (instant man-card revokable offense). Shoes, belt, and watch can really make or break your outfit and can help with dressing up, or dressing down for the overall situation.
Just to reiterate because I don't think this ^^ can be stressed enough... You have to have good jeans or it's all for not. And make sure your shirt is ironed!!

And again, I completely agree that accessories are key. Belts and shoes... man, you can get away with a lot if you have good accessories. Watches (if you wear them are huge too - beware of the huge watch no matter how trendy - some people just can't get away with them lol).

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I realize it's a regional thing but so are short sleeved shirts with a tie under a suit. But I don't have to like it.