What's new

Jere's Blind Review Challenge

CbusDave

CRA Member #198179
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Alright fellas, here it goes. My first shot at a formal review, courtesy of Jere (Kockroach). Thanks for the opportunity!

IMG_0070.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0074.jpg
Prelight: A handsome Corona Gorda with an oily brownish red wrapper. The stick appears to be extremely well constructed, evenly packed and with minimal wrapper imperfections. The pre-light draw is slightly firm and tastes of barnyard and spice. Really looking forward to diving into this!

IMG_0073.jpgIMG_0075.jpg
First Third: The cigar opens up with a good amount of earth, with notes of nuttiness and mild spice on the finish (getting a lot of white pepper). The stick puts off tons of billowing white smoke, and the draw opens up a bit after the first inch. I would put this in the upper mild-to-medium category in terms of body. A great start!

IMG_0076.jpgIMG_0078.jpg
Second Third: The spice on the finish has subsided, and the cigar remains primarily earthy, with hints of leather. The body has picked up slightly, but the strength remains on the mild side. Towards the end of the second third, I picked up on more roastiness and sweetness, though waves of mild spice continune to come in and out. Complexity is really picking up here, and I am even detecting hints of anise as I get closer to the final third.

IMG_0079.jpgIMG_0080.jpg
Final third: Pretty consistent with the second half of the stick overall. Spice has picked up again, as has the leathery flavors. Towards the end of the stick, I started to get some slight harshness in the back of the throat, but nothing that really took away from my enjoyment of the stick. Body remained in the solid medium range, while the strength picked up a bit towards the end.

IMG_0081.jpg
Post-Mortem: Total smoke time on this stick was around an hour and a half. I have to say that I enjoyed this stick quite a bit, and thought that it offered a great deal of complexity for a mild-to-medium strength cigar. While I can't say that I can guess the specific cigar, I think that it might be Dominican in origin.

Thanks again for the opportunity to review this stick, Jere!:ccool:

Last edited: