What's new

JL #2 vs. Mag. 46

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OK, I'm in a pickle. :help: I need to decide between these two smokes so I can snag a box on the first of next month. Yeah, yeah, I know you want me to get both, and I will, but I limit myself to one box a month. So which should I get first? The other will follow.

~Eric

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
It kind of depends on what you like. Do you like stronger cigars or not? I happen to be partial to the Mag 46 myself, but the JL is an excellent cigar also. Maybe you can find a brother to split both boxes with you so you can have half a box of each. Just a thought.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Tuba is correct; matter of personal taste. The JL is more subdued, but tasty; the Mag is a full flavored Havana powerhouse. Guess which one I would choose.....

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Although I love them both, another consideration is when you expect to smoke them, and can you afford to wait. I find the Mag 46 to be a better smoke over all, but I also find it requires a decent amount of aging. I'd get the 46s if you want to set them aside, or find a box with a few years on it. The JL is a better young smoke IMHO.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have both sitting in the humi riht now, but have only smoked the JL. It's not potent, but it's good w/ a nice cup of coffee. I like the JL enough to say that I would buy a box next time instead of doind a split.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
JL #2 or Mag 46? A robusto or a corona gorda?

My vote is for the Juan Lopez Sel. No.1 because 2001's are available. Unless you are looking at 50 cabs, the 1 comes in a 25ct. cab.

Really, you should just get both and split 'em up. You would likely get your money back before the vendor even charges your card.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are the differences between the JL#1 and the JL#2, aside from the size?

Is the no. 1 stronger? I like stronger, more flavorful, potent cigars.

~Eric

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Not to bypass your question, but IME, yes, EXPERIENCE with these cigars, there should be little discussion on this topic. If you're not going to do what Todd suggested by buying both, buy the JL #1s. Corona Gordas are typically a better quality cigar than Robustos you'd find with the Sel#2s and the JLs can be found with age relatively easily as Todd suggested. The Mag is a better quality cigar after time but if you're speaking of smoking now, its not the answer. Yes, fresh ones are full of in your face 'clean' tobacco flavor, but they are not complex and full of beautiful Havana flavors yet. The #1s are brimming with flavors and have not yet lost their young punchiness. They offer a characteristic to suit just about everyone where the mags generally do not, since they are a 1 dimensional flavor (albeit a tasty flavor to some) when young.

Hope this helps

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It's hard for me to discuss the differences between the #1s and the #2s because I have only had young #2s and #1s with at least four years of age on them. This is in addition to the fact that I personally like robustos the least out of all vitolas.

I have found, in my short time smoking, that in habanos that have a robusto and a corona gorda variation, like the JL Seleccions and HdM Epicures, the corona gorda comes across as more balanced cigar in every regard.

The Mag 46 was my first habano, and of course my first love, but since I have had time to sample more and more different habanos I really haven't found myself going back to the Mag very much, if at all. It is a damned good cigar but, like Craig has stated, it is rather lacking in complexity. In young 46s it seems that all you get is a sweet tobacco flavor with very little spice or kick to it.

Like I said before though, if you ordered all of them you would likely sell the fivers off before the vendor could even charge your card.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Nice post! We are actually deciding between the same 2 cigars for a box split I'm doing at work. We're leaning towards the JL's.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I love the JL 1 thanks to Todd. The Mag 46s are aslo good, but I'd go with the JLs. Not had the 2's. Man, get both the 1's and the 46's and I'd be hard pressed to not grab some fivers off you...

Good lord this place is dangerous. :headroll:

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let's put it this way... If I could afford two boxes, I'd go for it. I don't have a credit card, nor do I have the desire to acquire one. I'm a firm believer that if I want something badly enough, I can save up the money required and eventually make the purchse. I WOULD buy both if I had the required fundage, but in no way or form would I even think about hosing a GB if I didn't have enough of my own personal cash to back it up in case things went awry.

I hope that explans my situation a little better.

From the sound of things, I think I'd prefer a JL #1 over a Mag. 46. I don't really have the patience to wait years to smoke a box I just bought, lol. If I went with just the JL #1, would anyone want to nab a fiver or two?

~Eric

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Mag. I've got some 2 year old JL#2s and some 2 year old Mags and in my opinion the Mag is a better more flavorful smoke.

Everytime I have a Mag, I'm reminded as to how well this smoke is constructed and how good the blend tastes.

JLs are good, but the Mags are better.

Also, I echo the sentiments of other posters, break your rules and buy 2 this month and skip November. Not to be the devil speaking into your ear from your left shoulder but........get them both now and thye will be that much older when you smoke them. :pitchfork