What's new

Jose Blanco joins JdN

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was announced today, through Cigar Aficionado, that Jose Blanco has joined Joya de Nicaragua in a VP role. He will be responsible for new blends and interacting with the public, a role he is accustomed to from his time with La Aurora. Congrats to both companies on this news.

So, what does everyone think?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have always been a huge La Aurora fan. I know they are not that popular here on this forum, but if you look at my daily smokes from here and other forums you'll see a smoke 3-4 La Aurora products a week. I am also fond of JDN. I think it will be a great fit.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I just hope the fact he is going to "interacting with the public" does not mean that DE will no longer be doing marketing for them.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It seems with the talent that JdN and DE has been pulling in, lately... this "group" may be becoming something very special...

And interested to see how it all works out if keinreis's thought is valid.

But I agree... Jose Blanco, from what I've heard, is a class act, and would be great in such a role.

Seems like this world of cigars always has some surprises waiting around the corner for us... Just another reason why it's all so exciting.

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Wow, this is very exciting news. Jose Blanco is a class act and I've enjoyed his seminars.

DE as a whole has bit of everything. They have big brand smokes and their LP line is boutique enough to satisfy people of all tastes. One of the most important companies moving forward in the cigar biz.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, this is very exciting news. Jose Blanco is a class act and I've enjoyed his seminars.

DE as a whole has bit of everything. They have big brand smokes and their LP line is boutique enough to satisfy people of all tastes. One of the most important companies moving forward in the cigar biz.
'dat be da' plan stan! To rule the cigar universe and then ask for a million dollars!!! <snicker> (where do I get one of those bald cats?)

Honestly, we are just trying to do what we think is good for everyone... It is a pretty simple concept: make solid cigars that people want to smoke across a wide range of flavor profiles, do it consistently at a fair value price and always do your best to earn your customer's respect. And hopefully by doing so, we will continue to be as blessed as we have been to date.

I can tell you one thing, no one at DE or JDN ever takes anything for granted. Tobacco, cigars, customers, consumers... we aren't perfect, but we are always striving to be.

I think adding Jose Blanco to the JDN team is fantastic. The man is total cigar freak, loves tobacco and is one hell of a nice guy to boot. It is going to be great to have the privilege of working with him closely. Plus I am very much looking forward to what he can teach me.

Steve Saka
President, Drew Estate

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My jaw just hit the floor.....unfathomable....
I have heard many good things about Jose and his hospitality/entertaining, and think this is going to be an interesting fit. I am interested in what the man who has worked out of the Dominican for so many years will bring to the Nicaraguan team.

Congrats JDN and Jose.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Very awesome news. I have been a lover of JdN and La Aurora for a while now, and have always been impressed by the vast knowledge Mr. Blanco has to offer... it will be awesome to see what he brings to the JdN brand.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think that JDN will be a great fit for Jose! I am excited to see him blending with Nicaraguan tobacco.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jose Blanco, Joya de Nicaragua & Drew Estate :

First of all, let me begin by saying Happy Labor Day to everybody. I am here at Miami beach with my parents, plus my wife and her family - a perfect time to disappear in the madness and check whats crackin on BOTL.

Over the last week or so, I have been communicating with Jose Blanco, who is now in the process of moving to Nicaragua, either Esteli, Managua or both. It is still so odd to me that he is actually part of the JDN/DE Team - but pinch myself JD - yup, its true ...

How could it be that this Punk Team of Dreamers, Drew Estate, could have brought on so many special & talented people over the last thirteen years ? In 1998, they called us the Romper Room, Newjacks, and even idiots - but we just kept moving along with our vision "The Rebirth of Cigars." From the beginning, (after the move to Nica in 1998), I remember staying up many nights to write the DE Website, and one of the concepts most important to Marvin and I was a concept that I have seen transform from our web text to a cult phenomenon : "Combining the Time Honored Tradition of Cigar Manufacturing with the New Era of Cigar Manufacturing" (Sorry, forgot the exact text) ... Who would have known what the future held for us, or even that there would be a future.

Bottom line, many of the special people that have joined our mission are people that many of you will never meet because they live in Nicaragua. Some of you have ventured to Nica for Cigar Safari and have met Jessi, Rubio, Jessenia, Louis, Pedro, Nicholas and others. And as Saka said in his post a bit earlier, we are extremely jazzed with the recent addition of Jose to the JDN/DE Team. Its gonna be cool indeed, and will certainly add to the excitement of what Saka, Nicholas Melillo, Willy Hererra, and the guys are doing in the premium segment.

We are truly blessed & understand the immense responsibility to maintain consistency and quality, and not take the short money.

Best,
JD