What's new

JR Alternative Cigars

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but recently I have been trying the JR Alternatives Sampler and to be real honest, what I've been trying are very disappointing.
The cigars appear to be well built. Solid construction, burns evenly, and the ash hangs on very good, but to coin a phrase from a CNN newscaster, they are a real "nuthin' burger".
The two things I am looking for, that (to me) are greatly lacking are taste and effect. To my noobie palate they taste like smoking cardboard and leaves, with very little to no buzz factor.

So, what do you think? Do you think allowing them to sit in the humidor will help them?

Should I look for a stronger profile? They are rated as Medium bodied on the web site, but I don't think they are. And I've tried some like Baccarat and found these Light to Medium cigars to be quite tasty.
It's (very) common when first seriously getting into cigars, to spend a lot of money buying up cheap discount sticks trying to find good ones for a good price. Honestly I think almost all of us have done it.
But really there just aren't that many budget sticks worth even their lower cost. (there definitely are some ie: Ramon Bueso Habano)
The sad thing is, people often spend more than they would have by buying fewer, better sticks. Especially considering the prices that can be gotten on sales or cigar monster, cigarauctioneer.com, or (if you're very careful and don't overspend or continue to fall in the junk trap) cigar bid.
As you continue to smoke, you'll develop a preference for better sticks, and even some of what you like now, you won't care for later.
It would serve you, and any newly passionate cigar smoker, to go ahead and plan on spending 3 - 6 dollars per stick on better cigars on sale that retail well above that.
Also, to take time and look back over past threads, and Today's smoke, use the search box for cigars you're interested in, and watch for sales.
Cigarys recommendation for illusione Rothchildes is an excellent one.
The "Cain" line from Oliva are fantastic smokes for the price, and great values on sale. As are the master blend 3. Both can be gotten for great deals on Holts weekend deals at times.
Every now and then there are amazing sales on Melanio, an incredible smoke.
Thompsons 5 pack fever is a great way to try premium and semi premium smokes at a great deal, especially combined with a sale or code when they pop up.
DE papa's Fritas and Muwat bait fish are good smokes for the price when on sale.
Curivari are hard to beat for great blends that smoke well above their price point and age well. Great prices at Atlantic and cigarpage.com
The Buenaventura is one of my favorite smokes regardless of price, yet comes in at around 4 bucks, and the mixed filler version (picadores) can be had for 3. The selection Privada natural, Achilles, Cafe line and several of their others are delicious as well.
There are tons of good smokes for just a little bit more, that you'll enjoy, avoid the frustration and disappointment, and in the long run save money.
Good luck!

Gabriel Theodoulos

Uncle Gabe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Glassman,
Wow, what excellent advice here. I had my hopes up a little bit because I see many who truly do give them a thumbs-up, and I was thinking that if some enjoyed these cheap smokes, may I will too! But after smoking two of these JR Alternatives, I treated myself today (tis my birthday!) to an Arturo Fuente Hemingway, and was it a GOOD SMOKE!
What I might do is drop these babies down in the bottom of my humidor and let them age a while. Maybe, just maybe, they will improve with time. They sure can't get any worse! :D
\

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@Glassman,
Wow, what excellent advice here. I had my hopes up a little bit because I see many who truly do give them a thumbs-up, and I was thinking that if some enjoyed these cheap smokes, may I will too! But after smoking two of these JR Alternatives, I treated myself today (tis my birthday!) to an Arturo Fuente Hemingway, and was it a GOOD SMOKE!
What I might do is drop these babies down in the bottom of my humidor and let them age a while. Maybe, just maybe, they will improve with time. They sure can't get any worse! :D
\
Happy Birthday! You could do that. Or if you end up needing the space you could donate them to cigars for warriors or something.
Didn't really mean to go on such a diatribe, but thought it may help some people. I know people who have ridiculous amounts of bad cigars ( not you Harlan) taking up space, that they bought in that effort to "save money".
I find that the feedback and input from people here, is worth far more than reviews on catalog sites. People here usually have a broader base of experience. Some of those site reviewers apparently haven't tried many others..

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
@Glassman,
\
Happy birthday dude!