What's new

JR Robusto Sampler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per your request Jwrussell,

I just recived a few weeks ago from JR a sampler of 10 Robustos. I'll post my thoughts on each as I smoke my way through the package. Each cigar ran me around $3, so it is a nice deal. If you wanna get ahold of the same deal try buying some alturnatives and they will probably show up when you are taken to your cart.

Pic

Henry Clay Rothchilde 5.00 x 50 M
Wasn't the most sattisfying that I have had. (more info to come when I get more time)

H. Upmann Special Sel. Rothchilde 4.50 x 50 M

Montecristo Robusto 5.00 x 50 N

Montecristo Afrique Jambo 5.00 x 52 E

Montecristo Vintage '93 Club Cab. 30 5.00 x 50 E

Montecristo White Rothchilde 5.00 x 52 N

Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro Robusto 5.00 x 50 M

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Royale Robusto 5.00 x 52 E

Romeo y Julieta Vintage Robusto 4.50 x 50 N
I actualy enjoyed it alot. Wrap was a nice natural light color made it so I was not worried about it nocking me down. I found that it cut just fine, no problem with it coming undone at all. The pinch was firm with a smooth draw. Lit up great with a simple BIC lighter, I had it lit a little uneven but after 2 big draws it evened out just fine. Had to let it rest a little bit after starting it and then smoked it slow to keep it cool (I can't stand a hot smoke) never had a problem with it going out on me. Flavor was good a nice pepper with a small bite, rather consistant through the entire thing. Didn't leave any aftertaste and rarely had to clens the pallet.
I'd say for what I payed it was a good smoke, but I need to smoke some more cigars before I judge it at its normal price ($5ish I think). If you like a simple cigar and get a chance to pick one up cheep I'd say go for it, I would pick another one up if I had any cash and saw it cheep.

TTT Trinidad Robusto 5.00 x 50 E

Havent smoked many yet but I will post my thoughts after each one, and saddly it dosent look like I'll be finishing one today (It's storming like crazy outside my dorm, man I don't wanna walk to class).

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yep, the've changed it some from teh one I got. I liked the Monte White, but wouldn't pay the regular prices for it. Also really liked the RyJ Reserve Maduro. If you find you like it, try out the Wavell, great, great smoke. Didn't care for the TTT. The Arfique and Henry Clay are definately different smokes from what was in my sampler...beyond that, I can't remember.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Here was my take on the RyJ Reserva Real...this was from December of last year:
I brought myself a selection of smokes to work today in anticipation of lighting up during lunch. I usually only bring one with me as my previous transport has been a ziploc bag, but today was different. Thanks to the generosity of one insane, bombing fool, I now have a nice 5 stick Cigar Caddy. So this morning before leaving I loaded it up with 5 smokes that I haven't tried yet. This saved me some time over my usual routine, as it's easier to pick 5 sticks than to settle on just one!

As lunch rolled around I settled on the RyJ Reserva Real Robusto. It was hard to resist as the cigar was beautiful in form. Wonderful light brown wrapper with only the barest of visible veigning, tripple cap and bright red, large embossed band. The cigar yielded somewhat to the pinch test but didn't feel "loose". The cap cut cleanly with my Xikar and the pre-light draw was on the slightly loose side.

Lighting with my Colibri torch took a minute and involved a quick touch up as it's darn hard to see that flame in birght sunshine, but in the end it took well to the flame. From the outset it produced volumes of smoke. As a testament to the construction of this vitola, I had burned this baby over half way down before it finally relinquished its grey and charcoal colored ash to reveal a perfect conical tip. Not one touch up with the lighter was needed once I had this cigar on its way and the draw remained easy all the way through.

Unfortunately, the taste simply wasn't on part with the construction. A fairly mild smoke with no real tang or strong taste to it. Granted, my palate is not refined enough to dig out all the nuanced flavors and smells from even a wonderful cigar, but this one just never did much. The taste was pretty much the same all the way through and though not bad, was not memorable either.

Overall, a wonderfully constructed and beautiful cigar that just doesn't deliver on taste.