What's new

Just got in Newair CC-300

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I’m considering the Newair CC-300, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I spent the last 15 minutes doing a bit of number crunching to figure out how much it would cost me. I would use a multi-step process including credit card rewards, shopping portals, discounted gift cards, and a best buy discount code to help ensure I got the best possible deal.

Step 1: Use a points-earning credit card (Chase Ink Plus) to buy discounted Best Buy e-gift cards from giftcards.com. They currently have a $200 gift card for $186.16 and a $164.31 gift card for $152.94. That would provide $364.31 in Best Buy gift cards for a cost of $339.10 (~7% savings) and net me 339 Chase Ultimate Reward points.

Step 2: Access bestbuy.com through the Discover Card deals portal for 5% cash back.

Step 3: Apply the discount code (smallkitchen20) to my cart to receive a 20% discount, bringing the cost of the Newair CC-300 to $335.99 ($356.15 for me including VA sales tax).

Step 4. Pay with the Best Buy e-gift cards, resulting in a remaining gift card balance of $8.16.

This would mean that this purchase would initially cost me $339.10 out of pocket and net me the following:

339 Chase Ultimate Rewards points (I personally value these at $0.02 per point)
$17.80 cash back from the Discover Card portal
$8.16 remaining gift card balance
335 Best Buy Reward Points (~$6)

If I subtract the cash back from the Discover Card portal and the remaining gift card balance, then my total “cost” for this item would be $313.14 and I would still have earned 332 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points (~$6) and 335 Best Buy Reward Points (~$6).

Please note that none of these discounts/methods are guaranteed and are only based upon my past experiences using similar techniques. The Discover Card portal states that you must use your Discover Card and not use promo codes to receive the cash back, but it has never been a problem for me. I may be able to reduce my costs a bit more if I gave it a little more thought.
So happy I'm not the only one that shops like this! My wife thinks I'm nuts. (Unless, of course, I'm buying things for her)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So happy I'm not the only one that shops like this! My wife thinks I'm nuts. (Unless, of course, I'm buying things for her)
Yeah, I'm pretty addicted to the miles and points game. I have benefited so much from it. It makes me cringe if I see someone paying with cash nowadays.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ended up paying $326.75. That is with a 25 percent coupon.. I don't even own a credit card.. I pay for everything with cash or my debit card.. It does seem that I am missing out on a shit load of incentives, I just could never do it.. I just like to pay and walk away..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ended up paying $326.75. That is with a 25 percent coupon.. I don't even own a credit card.. I pay for everything with cash or my debit card.. It does seem that I am missing out on a shit load of incentives, I just could never do it.. I just like to pay and walk away..
That's a great price. For me, earning points and miles are like a game. I enjoy it and they have paid for a lot of travel for my family. I wouldn't do it either if I didn't enjoy it so much.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's cool that you get all that stuff. I know people who use their CC's for everything and it works out great for them..

SensorO

meetup.com/Northern-Virginia-Cigar-Enthusiasts/
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a mod for better lighting. The little blue led lights don't illuminate much at all so I got some little Christmas light strings from brookstone and wired it in and then taped the wire in there.

I'll upload pics later tonight

Last edited:

SensorO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SensorO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you have one of these or even the 281,, the shelving from new air will not allow you to put the drawers in any other position because of the way the fan protrudes into the cavity. Simple fix, knock one rung out of the depth of the drawers, put the back on and the drawer will fit any where seamlessly.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mine came in today.. She is nice looking for sure.. The drain hole was not plugged, are you sure yours is ? Also I do have a plastic smell for sure.. I washed it down with some dish soap.. I have the door open with some baking soda in there.. Letting her air out for a week or so... Trying to figure out what I am gonna use to plug the drain with.. Have some tape on there for now..

SensorO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was putting in the lights, i saw the hole in the back bottom. I covered it with a piece of black duct tape. I haven't noticed a difference. In fact in the top picture you can see the little square piece of tape on the hole at the bottom.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wish the drawers had some dividers in there.. I am gonna order some cedar make some... I am gonna air mine out for a week

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mine is still empty. Gonna be a little while before I load her up. Take my time and do it right the first time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just signed up to add my experience with this humidor (which I snagged for 310 3 weeks ago from homeclick).
I also agree the packaging was incredible, if not a excessive.
I wanted to put mine in my theater room which caused two unexpected issues.
One, Fan Noise. I had the thing on for all of 1 minute and realized that the fans had to be changed. Easy enough process, everything is pretty easy access with just normal screws. Inside fan was 80mm which I replaced with a Noctua fan but the connector inside was non-standard so I did have to splice the two wires (noctua includes clamp splices that make it a two second job). The rear fans were 92mm and were even easier. Bought to Fractal silent fans, a 3 pin fan Y cable and a 2 pin male to 3 pin female adapter. Plugs straight to the rear mainboard.
Its essentially silent now...only barely audible with your ear inside the unit since the inside fan never stops.
Problem Two was the front display was too bright. Some tint film from amazon took care of that in a hurry.

I too am unimpressed with the interior lighting. Its too blue, too dim and too far back to do any real good. I am thinking of adding a LED strip to the front top and seeing how that works. Ill report back if I decide on that.

Seasoning: I've had it with 1lb of Heartfelt 65% and its still going after 2 weeks. I'm in NYC so its dry but the cedar can't seem to get enough moisture (heartfelt keeps drying out daily despite 68% reading on Caliber IV).

The plastic "tray" that comes with is useless, throw it away. I bought a plastic platter from the dollar store and have the beads spread across a 8x11 surface on the bottom.

Temp Setting, yeah, totally wrong, reporting at least 6 degrees too warm compared to the Caliber's reading. My only concern is that its triggering the unit to run more than it needs to (hard to confirm with the covers on to feel the thermo unit)

Anyone bought single height trays for this (to place on the flat shelves)? Is it the same as the 280 or the whynter? The only reason I chose this over the whynter was I confirmed this one had double the tray slots which would make box fitting slightly more adaptable.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You need more then 1 lb of Beads.. I ordered 2 lbs.. I'm in NY as well and its dry here too..

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Also, you're going to be waiting forever if you're trying to "season" with beads. Beads are for maintaining the desired humidity, but you need to get there first. Do a search in the Storage subforum on seasoning, and ignore the posts about wiping water directly on the wood. Dishes of distilled water are your friend.