What's new

Just Got My First Pipe.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Good people, how are we doing?

I just received my first pipe and wanted to share my experience. I wet with middletons cherry aromatic tobacco. That's what I promised myself I would get when I started smoking. Since Im fairly new at this I tried a couple ways to pack the 1st was too loose, the 2nd a little tight but the draw was ok so I went for it. Lighting was kinda tricky, I used wooden matches because I heard it was the best way to light it, which I did find it was easier. Im not sure if using 3-4 matches is normal but thats what it took to light it. Also I had to draw on it pretty often and hard, just to keep it lit, not sure if this is normal. After a few minutes I got the hang of it, trying to hold the pipe in my mouth correctly without having to hold it with my hand was a little tricky too. Before I was finished I re lit the pipe about 4-5 times as the tobacco burned lower and lower. Is this normal?? Anyway besides that it definitely is something I can get use too :thumbsup:, I plan on smoking Thanksgiving even after the big meal! Any advice is always greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Sounds like a nice start to a very enjoyable hobby, my friend!

What kind of pipe did you get? It's been a while since I smoked any of my pipes. I had a Dr. Grabow to start with, and was gifted a nice little collection that belonged to my wife's uncle, who wanted a good home for them. It included a couple of Nording freehands, a Ben Wade, and about 3 other cheaper ones. I really enjoyed getting them all cleaned up and good to go. Sounds like your experience is very normal, starting out!!

Let us know how it goes, as you continue! And be careful with aromatics! You'll learn the painful/hard way, that they will bite your tongue if you're not careful. Since they are so moist, they sometimes create steam and could cause a little tongue bite.

Happy to hear!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Packing is the hardest thing to learn. The first light of the pipe is normally refered to as the "rising light" as the tobbaco rises up. You give the tobacco a gentle tamp down and then re-light. You may get a little rise on the seond light too.

Relighting is usually a normal part of smoking a pipe, epecially towards the bottom of the bowl. The packing and the pipe also play a part in this.

Remember when your done to run a cleaner through the stem. Also never remove the stem of a hot pipe as the briar around the mortise may crack.

Now you need a seond pipe so the first one can rest between uses!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That be the brand "Dr. Grabow", nice size bowl. A Frank you know whats funny , my tongue does feel a little burnt. I was just thinking how did I burn my tongue, I really didn't pay it any mind until now. Is this common, and is it something you get use too?

You mind if I call you Dutch for now , sinceI don't know your name.
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know it was this involved. I guess the rise can fluctuate depending on how you pack it.? As far as lighting and re tamping I didn't do that. I just lit and lit and puffed and lit..etc..etc..LoL. I didn't know I needed a cleaner and rest? Is there an at home cleaner that can be used until I get the appropriate one? Thanks Fellas

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wink, any drug store should have packs of pipe cleaners, you can use tissues to swab out the bowl.

When I say let the pipe rest, what I mean is giving it time between smokings. This allows any built up mositure to evaporate. Most let them set for a day. So its a good excuse to have a second pipe!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wink, any drug store should have packs of pipe cleaners, you can use tissues to swab out the bowl.

When I say let the pipe rest, what I mean is giving it time between smokings. This allows any built up mositure to evaporate. Most let them set for a day. So its a good excuse to have a second pipe!
Hah some serious pipe smokers have one for each day of the week.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
My uncle left me several pipes when he passed. Some are from the 50's 60's, and one has been identified as a Ben Wade.

Anyway, I was eager to try out this whole new world a couple years ago...

I found a GREAT thread in the pipes section here, found some useful info on packing from YouTube, consulted and bought from a local tobacco shop; and off I went!

The thing I couldn't get past was a strange, consistent flavor that both tobaccos gave me with two seperate pipes. Sort of a "finish" that was just not enjoyable.

Any thoughts?

They had been professionally cleaned maybe 10 years BEFORE I lit 'em up....Possibly there was something left in the pipes to cause the flavor? Or they didn't do a good job with the cleaning?

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated...I'd love to give this another shot!!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks Dutch, how about a little alcohol? A Clint im getting a little plastic after taste now but Im leaning towards that being because it's new. I hope it doesn't linger too much longer! Maybe some decomposition from over the years, maybe you should clean it yourself for good measure. Then again Clint im still learning myself. A Frank this tongue burn thing is a little worse than I thought, How long does it take to heal? I hope by thursday.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
congrats! One thing I've learned is that you will not get billowing smoke from a pipe as you do a cigar. Also, tamping occasionally and dumping out the ashes will give you a better burn. If the draw gets tough toward the end or it doesn't seem to want to stay lit, I use the aerater (pick) to loosen up the tobacco and tamp. Not sure if this is proper form, but it works for me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
congrats! One thing I've learned is that you will not get billowing smoke from a pipe as you do a cigar. Also, tamping occasionally and dumping out the ashes will give you a better burn. If the draw gets tough toward the end or it doesn't seem to want to stay lit, I use the aerater (pick) to loosen up the tobacco and tamp. Not sure if this is proper form, but it works for me.
You know what, thats why I thought I was doing something wrong because it wasn't smoking like a chimney. I looked to youtube after some advice from you guys and I did notice just that they didn't give off alot of smoke. So I can safely say I didn't do too bad....and it's so damn cool! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Enjoy! I was originally primarily a pipe smoker, with cigars my "back up." Somewhere it switched ... but I still enjoy a pipe, especially around the Christmas holdiay.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wink, about once a month I remove the stem and run a cleaner dipped in burbon, or vodka, or rum (everclear is the best if you can find it) through the stem. Then swab out the mortise and smoke hole.

Hope your tounge burn has healed up!

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Wink, about once a month I remove the stem and run a cleaner dipped in burbon, or vodka, or rum (everclear is the best if you can find it) through the stem. Then swab out the mortise and smoke hole.

Hope your tounge burn has healed up!
^^^^This! Use only grain alcohols. I use Everclear and it leaves no "off" tastes and cleans the pipes nicely.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The more and more I smoke Brian, im getting the hang of it which in turn makes it more enjoyable. I just have to figure out why when it gets near the bottom it suddenly dissipates, and trying to relight it so close to the bottom is a task in itself? I thought the regular 70% alcohol would suffice because it doesn't leave any residue? A Dutch it healed up just in time for my thanksgiving puff. Thanks

p.s I was tricked into taking a shot of that everclear this past New Years, it almost made me quit drinking :frownno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Wink. I just bought some Captain Black. Smoked it years ago as my tobacco of choice, curious to see how it has changed in 25 years or so. Can't remember who made it back then.

One of the things I remember learning was the importance of tamping the tobacco down as the burn progressed; seemed to make a big difference. Starting out a new pipe slowly to let the coating build from the bottom of the bowl up, never smoked more than a half bowl at a time for a while. Bought a pipe tamper and almost let it die down before relighting it, then it was really smooth smoking. Very enjoyable.

Cherry was kinda hot for me as I recall. Have you tried Middleton's Black and Mild? (I presume it is still available, I haven't bought any for years)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have that Middleton cherry now! It's pretty damn good, but the guy at the local B&M told me the captain black is a popular blend. It looks as if this may get ugly because there are so many different blends and they all smell intoxicating. It's funny because ever since I was a kid I loved the smell of a pipe, can't stand cigarette smoke, but love cigar aroma?
This pipe thing may get out of hand though........but im game.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This thread, along with the cold, inspired me to dig through a few boxes that were still packed from the move and find my pipes and tobacco...found the pipes and a stash of blends from Boswell.