What's new

Just joined up

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I decided to join your community and hopefully learn from it and contribute to it.

I've been smoking cigars for over 25 years and have amassed a somewhat respectable stock. I now only buy when I'm running low on my favorites or if something new especially catches my interest. I've been through the splurge stage and that was quite expensive.

I live in Southeast Michigan in an area called Downriver Detroit. A combat veteran, I've served in the 82nd Airborne Division, the 2nd Infantry Division and my last unit was the 75th Ranger Regiment. I am a former Licensed Paramedic in the Dallas / Fort Worth metro area and a former Executive Protection agent for a billionaire family (what a great career to have).
I'm retired now, enjoying my free time and smoking a lot of cigars. I'm exploring the pairing side of cigar smoking. I've found that rum from the Caribbean and Central / South America really suits most of my likings but, as I said, I am still learning - eagerly. I definitely favor full and medium/full strength cigars. My taste buds aren't sensitive enough to enjoy mild or medium cigars to their fullest.

Thanks for reading.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Welcome from sunny SoCal :cigar:
I don't drink really anymore, but as far as rum goes I found that Ron Zacapa 23 was a great fit. I love the sweetness it adds to the cigar!!!

Ron Zacapa rums are made from sugar cane harvested in southern Guatemala, which is pressed into virgin sugar cane honey. The fermentation process uses a yeast strain (saccharomyces cerevisae) isolated from pineapples to transform sugars within the ‘honey’ into alcohol. This fermentation process takes approximately 5 days after which the fermented ‘wine’ is distilled in a single continuous column. (A distillation by-product called vinasse which contains the fermented must, yeast and other non-fermentable products which are rich in sugars and minerals is recycled and used to nourish and irrigate the Guatemalan sugar cane fields.)

After distillation, the Zacapa rum is transported to the ‘House above the Clouds’ in the Guatemalan mountains for maturation. Special cellars age the rum at an altitude of more than 7000 feet above sea level where the ambient temperature is much more stable and the oxygen levels are lower than at lower elevations. The more stable ambient temperature ensures that the aging barrels are subject to less differential air pressure between the outside and the inside of the barrel.

As well, according to my correspondence with Zacapa Master Blender, Lorena Vásquez:

“Zacapa is aged at high altitude where the temperature is lower. The lower temperature also directly influences the oxygen levels which are lower as well, and this lower oxygen level aids in a slower aging process. The slower aging, allows for more time for the aromas and flavors to combine.”

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Welcome from sunny SoCal :cigar:
I don't drink really anymore, but as far as rum goes I found that Ron Zacapa 23 was a great fit. I love the sweetness it adds to the cigar!!!

Ron Zacapa rums are made from sugar cane harvested in southern Guatemala, which is pressed into virgin sugar cane honey. The fermentation process uses a yeast strain (saccharomyces cerevisae) isolated from pineapples to transform sugars within the ‘honey’ into alcohol. This fermentation process takes approximately 5 days after which the fermented ‘wine’ is distilled in a single continuous column. (A distillation by-product called vinasse which contains the fermented must, yeast and other non-fermentable products which are rich in sugars and minerals is recycled and used to nourish and irrigate the Guatemalan sugar cane fields.)

After distillation, the Zacapa rum is transported to the ‘House above the Clouds’ in the Guatemalan mountains for maturation. Special cellars age the rum at an altitude of more than 7000 feet above sea level where the ambient temperature is much more stable and the oxygen levels are lower than at lower elevations. The more stable ambient temperature ensures that the aging barrels are subject to less differential air pressure between the outside and the inside of the barrel.

As well, according to my correspondence with Zacapa Master Blender, Lorena Vásquez:

“Zacapa is aged at high altitude where the temperature is lower. The lower temperature also directly influences the oxygen levels which are lower as well, and this lower oxygen level aids in a slower aging process. The slower aging, allows for more time for the aromas and flavors to combine.”
I'd second this recommendation.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered a bottle for delivery. It'll be here around 8pm.
Enjoy, I'd also recommend Zaya as well.