What's new

Just purchased a Nikon d3300 as a first camera

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just snatched up a Nikon d3300 kit as a first camera. Going on vacation to Kauai in a couple months. The last time I went to Hawaii, I wasn't happy with a lot of my cellphone shots. I'm going all in this trip :greedy: I want to get some practice, so I ordered it early.

Camera should arrive tomorrow so other camera suggestions are not really gonna help lol. I was just curious if anyone had experience with this one. Recommended extras, lenses and such. Im excited, if you can't tell. Thanks for the help.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Not sure where that guy finds the time but he does huge write ups on all sorts of cameras, lenses, gear etc. Best resource I have found for a layman trying to learn advanced digital photography.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Not sure where that guy finds the time but he does huge write ups on all sorts of cameras, lenses, gear etc. Best resource I have found for a layman trying to learn advanced digital photography.
The amount of content is ridiculous. The best I've seen on my search as well. A great resource to say the least.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Congrats!!! Although, I'm a Canon guy. The Nikon's are just as nice if not better! One thing I'd suggest is getting a better lens such as an 18-200 or 18-135 whichever Nikon produces. You'll never use your kit lens again.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was in the same boat a few months back, the best advise I can provide you with.
Get a good solid bag, extra batteries, a tripod, and just play around with the camera as much as you can honestly.
The better of a feel you get the easier it is.
Enjoy brother.
JM

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was in the same boat a few months back, the best advise I can provide you with.
Get a good solid bag, extra batteries, a tripod, and just play around with the camera as much as you can honestly.
The better of a feel you get the easier it is.
Enjoy brother.
JM
If you can afford a battery grip, those are the best things ever invented. Just adds some bulk to the camera. It's nice to have since I can't recall when I charged my batteries last. And also some come with a "AA" battery sleeve to allow you to use alkaline batteries in the camera and not rechargeables.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Battery grip, filter to protect lens, and a strobe. If you can get an all in one lens like an 18-200 Nikon lens it makes for an all in one lens. Something you don't want to do on a trip is keep swapping out lenses.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've also got an 55-200mm coming. Is the uv filter a necessity?

The AA battery sleeve seems like a very good buy. I'll have to grab one of those and a tripod for sure.

I almost want to call in sick and wait for the mailman lol

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Nikon - FTW!

if you are to spend like crazy - dump money into lenses, not the camera body. lenses retain their value fairly well, the camera body - not so much.

a grip is not needed, especially on a beginner camera. if doing an actual shoot (wedding, etc) you might wish you had one. for your purposes, not so much. an extra battery might be helpful - keep a charged one in your pocket.

stay away from uv filters and polarizing filters... they do VERY specific things, and "protection" is not one of them. millions of dollars are put into research and development of how light enters the lenses, pass through the 7 or so pieces of glass on the inside, and makes its way to the mirrors. dont slap a cheap 5$ plastic filter on the end of it - light will not enter quite the same way. i have a couple of lenses that have been banged up on the lens itself (small nicks & scratches)... when taking a picture, you will not be able to see any indication that the lens is "less than perfect", as the scratches are well outside of the depth of field. i would rather use the lens hood that comes with the lens for "protection". but...this is just my opinion - you might not notice any difference with a filter on the lens. if this is the case, by all means, go ahead and slap one on the end of it.

unfortunately, photography is not cheap. you truly get what you pay for. for example, a 50mm f1.4 prime can cost up to 2000$, while a 50mm f3.5 prime can cost 200$ (as an example - not sure if they even make the latter). you will have MUCH more flexibility with the first lens (being able to shoot in darker conditions, more narrow depth of field, etc). however the second lens is much more budget friendly. do these matter to you? i cannot answer that. you may be very happy with the second lens.
just fyi: prime lens = fixed focal length (meaning... your legs are used to zoom in and out) ... as opposed to a zoom lens (self explanatory)

buy multiple SD cards. as you are on vacation... shoot a ton of pictures, delete the crappy images when you get home. multiple SD cards will give you tons of space to work with. also, make sure the SD cards are at LEAST class 6..... class 10 is ideal. (higher class will allow data to be written to the card much much faster, as well as faster read rate when transferring to a computer later)

if you are "just taking pictures", shooting in Auto will be fine, and you wont need to dump money into lenses.
the next step - *IF* you want to start getting more "artsy" or just want to become a "power user" of your camera - is to figure out how aperture, shutter speed, and iso affect images - both for good and bad, and also how to manipulate these quickly on your camera.

also, learn to FRAME your pictures. no matter how good your equipment is, it is only as good as the person behind it.

FWIW - i have shot two handfuls of weddings and am now also testing the waters of head shot and portrait photography here at work. i also travel - a LOT - these are just a few of the things i wish i knew when i started way back when...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just snatched up a Nikon d3300 kit as a first camera. Going on vacation to Kauai in a couple months. The last time I went to Hawaii, I wasn't happy with a lot of my cellphone shots. I'm going all in this trip :greedy: I want to get some practice, so I ordered it early.

Camera should arrive tomorrow so other camera suggestions are not really gonna help lol. I was just curious if anyone had experience with this one. Recommended extras, lenses and such. Im excited, if you can't tell. Thanks for the help.
Buy a UV filter to protect your main lens... easier to replace a filter than a scratched or broken lens.

Also I picked up a Circular Polarizing filter to help with the sky and reflections for mine. (Just bought a D610 for the same reasons/ excuse lol, going on my honeymoon in Oct.) Always been intrested in photography, and had an old 35mm SLR but the honeymoon / vacation coming up was what finally pushed me to buy a nice camera.

Lastly since Im on a budget I may rent an additional lens for my trip rather than buying one. www.borrowlenses.com/ check them out if youre interested. Nice to try before you buy anyways.

Oh! and make sure you have plenty of storage! Its cheap enough nowadays but its always good to have too much than to run out and have to start deleting stuff...

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Do NOT go to eBay for SD cards... Learn from my mistakes! Amazon is fine. Class 10 cards are really cheap now. I went with micro sd cards and use adapters in the camera... If i get larger capacity cards in the future (currently using 64Gb micros) i can toss the smaller capacity cards in my cell phone =)

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have a 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens that I paid a nice penny for. You know how many times I've used it? Maybe the first day when it showed up and I was running some test shots LOL!

Anyway I am looking for a new flash. I have an SB600 but the terminals are corroded beyond salvage. Any insight from those more up to date?

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I strictly use prime lenses. That's just me. I had an 18-200 when I was using a crop body (D90), as it is a crop lens (not a full frame lens). I won't go back to zoom lenses unless I pony up for a 24-70 f2.8 or a 70-200 f2.8 (each near the 2k$ range).

The sb600 is the flash I have, but I rarely need it since I have f1.4 lenses (35mm and 85mm). The sb700 is supposed to be it's replacement. If you can send the flash in to Nikon to be cleaned and repaired, I say do it (pending cost, of course). The only thing you should look for is a flash that can angle the flash to the sides and/or behind you. The sb800/900 series are going to be over kill, as they are meant to be used in pairs/multiples. The sb400 didn't swivel to the sides iirc.

The only flashes I use anymore are my studio strobes - when I REALLY want to control my lighting.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have a 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens that I paid a nice penny for. You know how many times I've used it? Maybe the first day when it showed up and I was running some test shots LOL!

Anyway I am looking for a new flash. I have an SB600 but the terminals are corroded beyond salvage. Any insight from those more up to date?
I'll trade you my sb600 for your Nikkor 50mm f1.4 prime...you know, since you don't use it