What's new

Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Originally started here:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38038"]Newbie blind reviews - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

This is the thread for the second cigar assigned for review (04/23/10). Big thanks again to Jwyatt55 for allowing us newbies the, "opportunity", to review (give you guys some laughs) some cigars.

For those who haven't been able to keep track here is the first of our reviews:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38654"]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #1 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

Mystery Cigars:
1. DPG Vegas Cubanas Corona
2. Tatuaje FF

1. cornhusker85
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=720127&postcount=19"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2[/ame]

2. ndn384
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=718411&postcount=13"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2[/ame]

3. GreedyCapitalist
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=718741&postcount=14"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2[/ame]

4. Miurajus
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=717597&postcount=9"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2[/ame]

5. Leafhugger
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=717039&postcount=6"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2[/ame]

Apologies for not updating it earlier, I've been under the weather for the past week.

Last edited:

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Anyone smoke cigar number 2 yet? Thanks for keeping this updated m! Work has been crazy and I don't get to check the board very often right now.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I smoked number 2 sometime last week. I have the review, just waiting to feel better to type it up (got sick after - ofc nt because of the cigar :p ). I'll post it up soon. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I try to sit down and smoke it, it either starts raining or one of the kids starts crying. The rain is supposed to stop this afternoon so tonight is the night. I will type up the review tomorrow. It looks like a great stick. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally out in the backyard enjoying mystery stick #2. Looking forward to writing up my thoughts and hearing everyone else's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked the second of five cigars from the Newbie Blind Review earlier tonight. It was a cold, 48 degree evening when I sat down in my backyard. The lighting was less than ideal but I attempted to take a few photos for your viewing pleasure.

Pre-light:
At 6.75 inches long, and a 48 ring gauge, the mystery stick had a firm and consistent structure. It had a dark brown, matte hue and reminded me of fine leather. There were quite a few veins but they were thin. With well hidden seams along the body this sturdy torpedo was topped with a dark triple cap.

I perceived a sweet, oaky aroma along the body with the foot displaying bright, sweet, slightly fruity notes. I had to angle cut the head several times before resting on a comfortable draw. While still firm I felt it best to let the draw open up a little on its own. The immediate taste on the tongue and lips is spicing and salty.

1st Third:
The smoke was light but full, hanging for some time in the still air. The first flavors off the smoke are those of leather and coffee with a pinch of pepper. The retrohale is smooth and woody with hints of dried fruit. The dominant wood notes give the impression of a toasty red wine that has matured in a oak barrel.

The ash is thick and white, highly contrasted by the thin dark burn line.

2nd Third: (and beyond)
I begin to taste the hearty, earthly flavors of a well done steak. By the half way mark this cigar displays strong pepper with bursts of spice, which it maintains for the remainder of the experience. A woodiness also continues to dominate the aroma and flavor.

Final Thoughts:
In summary, this cigar was enjoyable from start to finish. I found myself retrohaling more often than usual because of the enticing aromas. It would seem that this cigar is constructed at least mostly if not entirely from Nicaraguan leaves. To venture a guess, I would say this is a Tatuaje Cojonu 2009. Thanks again Jwyatt for providing a great smoke. I look forward to mystery stick #3.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

This uniquely shaped cigar was both complex and tasty. Pepper, coffee, leather and cocoa worked under changing parameters and a sweet note of raisin was present for much of the stick.

Rating: 90.25

Total smoke time: 2hr 25minutes
Size: 6.5~in x 50~ring

Appearance: 9.25/10
Construction: 28.5/30

Pre-light notation: A beautiful stick. The veins were handled superbly, well pressed, maybe one odd vein with any lift to it. Wrapper and unlit draws didn't yield anything surprising; some barnyard, some pepper, some ceder on the wrapper.

Taste: 52.5/60

1/3: The first third started off peppery, before coffee and cocoa began to emerge a few draws down the line. The initial finish was slightly oily. Slowing down a bit, a noticeable sweetness to the cigar began to emerge. Slightly earthy that was classified as raisin, although candied licorice would suffice as well. Leather notes are present on the palette as well. Bit of roasted nuts on the retro.

2/3: Same flavors are present, but in varying capacities. A nice complexity to this cigar.

3/3: Complexity died down, the changes slowed and then the coffee and leather began to bear down. I searched the palette for the sweetness that was present in the beginning of the stick, only to find remnants of roasted cocoa remaining.

Even with the change of pace and complexity of the cigar, I personally didn't care for the sweet note that it presented. No doubt that I haven't had many cigars with that flavor, but it was a little too earthy for me.

Construction wise, the stick was magnificent. A touch-up here and there, but the ash was solid, held well, the burn was straight, or self correcting within a draw or two. Draw itself was perfect, good volume on the smoke.

Although I missed on the first cigar (I did get the wrapper and origins correct though :widemouth) here's to hoping for cigar #2. Going out on a limb.

But when you want to make noise, you swing for the fences.

Overall: 90.25/100
Guess: Tatuaje Drac

*Although if it isn't a Drac, I wouldn't rule out a cigar that has tobacco from a country other than Nic/DR. Hon maybe? The sweetness.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Review Number 2

Atmosphere: Nice spring night in SoCal. Its about 70 degrees at 9:30 pm. Clear night and sitting out on my patio watching “The Blindside”

Construction: Lots of veins, dark brown wrapper, oil-less wrapper. Seem is clearly visible going the length of the cigar. Nice triple cap. Firm.

1/3rd: Right off the bat the cigar is mild with a strong Cocoa flavor. With in an inch the wrapper began to crack about 1.5 inches. The draw is not effected so far. Heavy white smoke. 1” in the spice is starting to pick up a little bit. The ash is light colored and flakey. Perfect razor sharp burn.

2/3rd: Still a sweet flavor but no longer cocoa. There is a woody and tobacco flavor. A spice is starting to hit my tongue with some licorice. My tongue feels like I licked a jalapeno pepper. The spice has really picked up and I am loving it. The smoke is getting really strong now. The wrapper is starting to feel a little bit dry and is cracking a little as a squeeze is it around the base.

3/3rd: The sweetness started to die down but the flavor is still there. The spice started to settle and it ended very nice.

Over all the cigar was very good. Well constructed ad a great burn. No complaints about the cigar. It was a great smoke. It is something that I would love to smoke again. I hope this isn't too expensive of a cigar. I enjoyed this one more then the first mystery cigar. A little bit more of a full bodied smoke. I can't wait to find out what this was.

Thanks again for the chance to smoke a great stick. I can't wait till the next review is due.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Size 6.75" by 48 ring

Pre Light: Very nice constructed cigar with triple cap. Not oily, the draw was a light tough. I got sweet cocoa and coffee tastes

1/3: Started off a little peppery with cocoa emerging, draw still seemed a little restricted, started to pick up some oak flavour, alot of smoke and a nice gray ash. Held ash for about 1.25".

2/3: The pepper really started to pick up and the complexity really started to emerge with cocoa and coffee and earthy tons poping up. Had a slight bitter taste but went away.

3/3: Calmed down a bit and pepper started to vanish and the cocoa and earthy tons really emerged towards the end.

Final thoughts: I would smoke one of these again and im guessing towards one of Pete's higher end cigars also.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Good job guys. This was a tatuaje ff (cojonu 09 that were slightly off on rg and sold through Nhc at a reduced price). Glad that everyone enjoyed it and great job guessing the stick!