What's new

Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #3

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Originally started here:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38038"]Newbie blind reviews - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

This is the thread for the third cigar assigned for review (05/07/10). Big thanks again to Jwyatt55 for allowing us newbies the, "opportunity", to review (give you guys some laughs) some cigars.

For those who haven't been able to keep track here are links to our reviews:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38654"]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #1 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] - DPG Vegas Cubanas Corona
[ame=http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=39023]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] - Tatuaje FF

1. cornhusker85
2. ndn384
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=728004&postcount=8"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #3[/ame]

3. GreedyCapitalist
4. Miurajus
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=724868&postcount=4"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #3[/ame]

5. Leafhugger
review: [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=726223&postcount=6"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #3[/ame]

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure quiet around here! Thanks Miurajus for starting the page. I smoked #3 last weekend and just need to type up my thoughts. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Same LH; have the pics and notes, just been a hectic week. I'll probably post up tonight. Tomorrow at the latest :)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

This box pressed belicoso had a milk chocolate wrapper and a flavorful disposition from the outset. Leather, cocoa, pepper, coffee and a hint of honey, accompanied by a floral tinge to the ambient aroma.

Rating: 89.75

Total smoke time: 1hr 54min
Size: 5.5~in x 50~ring

Appearance: 9.25/10
Construction: 28.5/30

Pre-light notation: No veins protruding from the wrapper, which is fairly oily. The wrap on the head of the cigar is slightly more glossy than any other portion of the stick. The burn was a bit jagged, most always self correcting and the flaky ash held surprisingly well. The cigar burned relatively quickly, yet smoked great at 2-3 minute draw intervals.

Taste: 52/60

1/3: A very good exchange during the initial third. Lot of back and forth between all parties involved. Leather, cocoa, pepper, coffee and a subtle honey note.

2/3: The second third was very enjoyable before my taste buds redlined, near the 3/4th's mark of this portion. There was a nice lull before the all out assault. During the "eye" of the storm if you will, there was a tasty balance of cocoa, coffee and leather.

3/3: The final third was dominated by strong notes of coffee and leather. There weren't any other discernible flavors present.

While this may not have scored quite as high as the Tat FF, I really loved the first third, and most of the second. Regardless of score, I would prefer this cigar over any of the previous ones reviewed during the series up to this point. I personally find the ending of a lot of cigars, just a tad too much. Nicaraguans in particular.

An interesting note was the floral tones I received. Both from the ambient smoke and also on the retrohale. It could be that having not smoked for a few weeks helped my nose regrow some cilia, or something :scratchhe I tend to retrohale often, as much as 4 draws per third on longer cigars. I'm just curious because I've never had that flavor appear in that manner. Sometimes spice, mostly roasted nuts and meat. Never floral.

Overall: 89.75
Guess: Sticking with the Tat guesses :crosseyed La Riqueza #2.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked the third of five cigars from the JWyatt55's Newbie Blind Review last weekend. It was a warm, 80 degree afternoon when I found a spot in the shade to smoke this mystery stick.

Pre-light:
At 6 inches long, and a 54 ring gauge, this boxed pressed torpedo had an even and supple construction. The rich brown wrapper was a little on the dry side. The veins were almost indistinguishable and the wrapper seemed very thin and fragile. I would say that the wrapper is a shade grown varietal or a cameroon. The smells were of general barnyard.

The foot told a story of its own as each of the various fillers were highly contrasted. Dark and light browns embracing a dark, almost black, leaf. The smell was of sweet manure and fresh alfalfa hay.

I gave the torpedo head an angled cut and again discovered that the wrapper was very fragile. It seemed to shatter around the edge of the cut. Rather than annoying, I found this to be quite fortuitous since it afforded me a look at the binder. It was a very bright greenish brown, almost a double claro in shade. The draw was open and easy with a nice spice.

1st half:
The light was quick. My first draw gave pleasant, creamy smoke. There is almost a young, immature taste to the leaves. The finish is long, like a nice scotch, that coats the mouth with a chalky taste and texture. The smoke is almost chewy. The flavors are coffee and cocoa. There is a slight unpleasant, musty taste of chemicals.

During the first inch I am immediately faced with quite a few burn issues. The ash is flowering and burning at different rates. The outer ring of ash is white, flaky and thick while the inner core is dark, cavernous and cracking.

2nd half:
The burn issues continue and seem to dominate the smoking experience. However, despite frequent touch-ups the flavors are combining nicely. The saltiness and spice begin to intensify halfway through the stick. It is also very strong on the retrohale. The flavors are not complex but are certainly pleasant. Even though I continue to touch up the uneven burn, the ash holds strong for nearly 2.5 inches.

Nearing the nub, I get a hearty, rich flavor like the gristle on a steak. The pepper and spice continue. The smoke is dry and thick. My head feels light and it seems that this stick was packing a little bit of subtle punch.

Final Thoughts:
I must admit that this was my least favorite from the first three mystery sticks. It was medium in flavor and medium to full in body. To me this did not seem to be heavy on the Nicaraguan leaves like the first two. A shot in the dark.... CAO Cameroon.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sorry I have not had a chance to review this stick yet. I am finishing up planning our wedding. I should be able to smoke it in the next day or two and will post my review then.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Mystery Review Number 3

Atmosphere: Nice spring night in SoCal. Its about 72 degrees at 6:00 pm. Clear night and sitting out on my patio watching “Bronson” They flies are horrible tonight. But other than that it is a great night to smoke a cigar.

Construction: The construction is very nice. It is a lighter brown wrapper with a nice firm box press. There is no flaws in the wrapper and only one very annoying vein on the wrapper that felt like a little thorn poking my lip. I cut it off with my pocket knife and the triple cap started to peel off. I moistened it a little bit and it fixed the problem for the most part.

1/3rd: The cigar is pretty mild so far. I am getting a hint of burn toast and coffee. The ash is flakey and light but stayed relatively long. The burn is burning a little crooked but not enough to annoy me.

2/3rd: There is not any flavor that is dominating my taste buds.

3/3rd: The final third I had a neighbor stop by and she doesn't enjoy the smoke so I had to let is sit a while and the cigar went out. I re-lit and it was very harsh so I purged and all was well again.

This cigar was pretty mild and enjoyable. It isn't my favorite but I did enjoy it. It was a great time sitting out and doing my best find the flavors on my palette. Next review I hope to do a better job.

Sorry that I took so long to review this cigar. I am a week and a half away from my wedding and we still have a lot of work to do. So I haven't been able to smoke too much. My next review I think I might be sitting at a cafe looking at the Coliseum. I will be leaving for Rome in less than two weeks. I am so excited. Thanks again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reviews ndn and miurajus! Let's hear those reviews CH and GC. I am eager to find out what we smoked. I'm enjoying #4 as I type... So far this beauty of a Lancero is smoking, and tasting, great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Heading out for the night, will have thread #4 up by tomorrow or Monday at the latest. Thanks again Jason!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cigar # 3

Construction: Not oily, a few small veins. I found the construction to be a little poor, I had a void in mine in the middle and it seemed a little lossly rolled.

Pre-Light: Earthy grassy notes, loose draw

1/3: Earthy notes, with some pepper and had a slight honey cocoa taste but disappeared fast.

2/3: Peppery with earthy notes, wraper started flaking off around ash.

3/3: Flavours really didnt change, seemed to be a pretty medium cigar.

Final Thoughts: This cigar would have to be my least favorite so far, it had some harsh flavour issues that came and went through out. I wouldnt have another.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Mystery smoke 3 was a Nica Libre torpedo. Believe these are a CI blend and I would agree with a majority of your reviews that these have some bad constuction issues and have numerous burn issues as a result. Not to mention that I don't care for the flavor profile either. These are marketed as being similar to padron but I found nothing that made me think that from the horrible burn and flavors.

Good job guys. Looking forward to number 4!!!