What's new

Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #4

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Originally started here:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38038"]Newbie blind reviews - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

This is the thread for the fourth cigar assigned for review (05/21/10). Big thanks again to Jwyatt55 for allowing us newbies the, "opportunity", to review (give you guys some laughs) some cigars.

For those who haven't been able to keep track, here are links to our reviews:
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=38654"]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #1 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] - DPG Vegas Cubanas Corona
[ame=http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=39023]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #2 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] - Tatuaje FF
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=39634"]Jwyatt55's Newbie Blind Review - Cigar #3 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] - Nica Libre

1. cornhusker85
2. ndn384
3. GreedyCapitalist
4. Miurajus
5. Leafhugger

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

This lancero had a milk chocolate wrapper and yielded a steady diet of pepper, cocoa and coffee throughout. While the flavors didn't change a lot during the smoke, they were pleasant for the most part.

Rating: 87.25

Total smoke time: 1hr 47min
Size: 7~in x 34~ring

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 29/30

Pre-light notation: No veins protruding from the wrapper. A very gorgeous stick if I may say so. Slightly oily to the touch and smooth. There was some tooth present on the ash, although upon close inspection it was difficult to make out pre-light. As odd as that sounds. Volume of smoke was sufficient and the burn was nearly perfect throughout.

Not a lot of special scents from the foot (hint of barnyard), nor the wrapper (some ceder).

Taste: 48.25/60

1/3: Noticed a Dominican profile in the smoke. Very smooth, with pepper, cocoa, leather and a light tea finish. Towards the ending of this third, the finish was a bit chalky and slightly ashy.

2/3: During the second third of the cigar, the flavors stayed the same for the most part with exception of the tea finish leaving all together. The ashy taste becoming more prominent and began to get on my nerves, in all honesty.

3/3: Finally, the cigar began exuding strictly pepper, cocoa and leather, and yes, the finish remained. It was quite strong and detracted a bit from the total smoking enjoyment.

This was the least favorite of the smokes I've had so far in the reviewing process. It was a solid stick, with flavors that I typically enjoy (Dominican profile). The ashy/chalk finish is confusing me slightly and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Yes, before you ask, there was no cone. I was easily going at times longer than 2 minutes per draw. :p

If it wasn't for the finish which I personally didn't care for, I'm sure this would have seen a better score. Thanks again to Jason for the great smokes!

Overall: 87.25
Guess: Romeo and Julieta Reserva Porto Real

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Another great review! Just a heads up that cigar 3 is finished up now and I posted the gar :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not getting to this yet. I have #4 smoked, just need to type up my notes. Baby #3 is due in 2 weeks so I have been finishing up a bunch of home projects. I will type up my review as well as smoke #5 this week.

Btw... Great review Miurajus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The Flying Dutch Man finally comes through.....:stretchgr

Mighty fine review my brother! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Mystery Review Number 4

Thanks Jwyatt55 for this chance to review this cigar. I know I am super late and I am truly sorry. I have been so busy getting married and then enjoying my honeymoon. My life is back to "normal" now so I hope to be a better brother here now.

Size: Lancero

Atmosphere: I was in Rome with out a watch on my wrist or a care in the world, well other than the Gypsies trying to get me to buy stuff while I am relaxing. I was sitting at a little cafe in the the Piazza Republica.

Construction: The construction was just about perfect, no complaints here. It was medium brown with almost no veins. THe ash held about an inch which i think is great for a lancero. THe burn was great and I think that the humidity in Rome helped with that.

I also usually split the review into 3 different sections, but while I was smoking this cigar I was enjoying the atmosphere and the scenery so much that I don't think that I noticed a big difference between each part of the stick. The cigar started off a little bit spicy with a hint of cocoa and leather. The spice began to fade and I continued to notice the cocoa flavor though out the cigar. There were several times that while I was smoking it I would notice that flavor and want to reach for something sweet.

Overall: I enjoyed this cigar a lot. I found the cigar semi bland, but the atmosphere more than made up for it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked the fourth of five cigars from the Newbie Blind Review three weeks ago. Sorry for the delay on sharing my thoughts.

This Lancero, at 7 inches by 38 ring gauge, was beautifully and consistently constructed. While there is nothing subtle about the wrap job it serves to highlight the slender build of this stick. Brightly contrasting yet paper thin, the veins lightly meander across the chocolate brown canvas. Topped with an expertly applied triple cap the appearance sets expectations high.

The foot smelled of sweet dried fruit and hay. The wrapper held a richer aroma of dark coffee and manure. A hint of freshly cut grass and fermenting hay gives the impression that this stick may be a little too young. The firm pre-light draw, continues notes of hay and sweetness with a touch of vanilla. The taste on the tongue carries a mild spice.

After lighting, I am pleased by plenty of thick, white smoke. There is a slight acidity to the taste with bright and fruity tones. I feel like I am sipping a warm cup of herbal tea with a touch of honey. The retrohale is medium in strength but adds little to the flavor. The ambient aroma is fresh, sweet and enticing.

The whitish/grey ash is firm yet only holds for to about an inch. I am entertained by the small pile of stubby ash remnants the are collected.

Little changes through the stick. Dried grasses and a freshness seem to define this experience. The burn throughout is consistent and effortless. The only deviation in flavor was a subtle impression of cookie dough in the final third. Another worthwhile note was the strength as I found my head swimming a bit by the end. All in all, a pleasurable smoke.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Since this is a month past the due date i will go ahead and let you know that stick 4 was one of my go to smokes. Oliva v lancero. Great reviews guys