Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wrapper: Brazil Mata Fina

Binder: Costa Rica

Filler: Columbia, Honudras, Mexico, Nicaragua

Price: $6.75

Vitola: 5 and 5/8 x 46 (7-20-4)

Drink : Coffee (Pike’s Place)

Appearance & Constuction: The 7-20-4 sports a great looking wrapper that is oily, smooth, richly colored, and ever so slightly veiny. I was immediately impressed with the construction on this stogie. The draw was nice, but if anything it was on the tighter side, with the ash solid and pure white. After smoking through the first third, the solid construction persisted and the smoke remained cool; although, the ash wasn’t quite as perfect, but still had a nice white color. Nearing the half way mark, the volume of smoke begins to pick up. The cigar did get a bit hotter, but nothing that’s going to take away from the overall enjoyment of the cigar. Very good construction.

Pre-Light: Good Draw, slightly tight. No dominant pre-light flavor. The aroma is deceiving, as you’ll suspect a fuller bodied smoke. The band is appealing, with a classic look. It will catch your eye.

Flavor & Notes: Kendall’s 7-20-4 starts off with very smooth, nutty flavors. Initially, it’s not a terribly complex cigar, but eventually develops into something more interesting. One third of the way in, I started picking up a faint taste of bitterness like a dark chocolate, and a foreshadowing of earthy notes which led to a drastic change in the overall taste half way through. Spanish Cedar began to dominate the palette, and the strength of the flavor itself cranked up a couple notches, and progressed through the end of the smoke. The flavor was great, and this one really threw me a delicous curve ball.

Body: Very smooth medium body at the start that will continue to build throughout the duration of the cigar, but never becoming harsh and finishes around medium-full.

Overall Smoking Experience: A solid cigar that you should withhold judgment on until you have smoked through half. I enjoyed the cigar from the get go, but it got better the further I went. The coffee helped bring out the chocolate notes in the beginning, and you won’t need any help picking up the flavor towards the end.

Rating: 7.5

Chooch Factor: Smoking this will actually allow you to subtract 2 chooch points from your last Cohiba (DR).

Buy Again: Has been and will continue to be in my rotation. It’s been a while since my last 7-20-4. I won’t be waiting as long next time.

http://www.cigarpointe.com/cigars/k-a-kendalls-7-20-4-review/

Last edited by a moderator:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Meh...Wasn't nearly as impressed by these.

First few inches were earthy and smooth, and then I picked up a mineral taste that really knocked down all the other flavors that this cigar may have offered.

Loved the history and the classy presentation, though.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
How big of a shot did you give it? Seriously, it's a top 5 selling brand here at the shop. And I actually am a huge fan.
I bought a 5'er when they first came out...My review is on here somewhere.

I smoked 2 before writing the review, and have smoked the remaining 3 over time just to see if they changed over time...Nope!

Just not my cup o tea, I guess :)

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thanks for the review man. I picked up a 5iver off NHC to try something new. Once it warms up a bit I'll be firing it up!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember some time back when this cigar was 'raging' through some of the forums and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about...I bought a 5 pack and as I am want to do will smoke them at various times...the first one at 90 days and the next another month later and so on. While I found the cigar to be pretty decent it did not change from month to month or really get any better. For the price and taste it's not going to be something I will actively search for or smoke but it was a nice experience.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, their rep out west here gave me one and I liked it so much I got a box. Let them sit for a month and tried one—kind of flat and left me scratching my head. A few more months of rest did the trick and they are more flavorful now. Not a wow cigar but a very pleasant smoke.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Nicely done review. 7-20-4 is a great cigar, rich & complex, never a bad burn or draw (I've smoked through more than a few boxes), class presentation... Kurt is also a great guy - last time I was up at his shop he hooked me up with some HTF & aged from his collection & gave me some (at the time) unreleased 'dog-walk' petite coronas.

:thumbsup:

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Meh...Wasn't nearly as impressed by these.

First few inches were earthy and smooth, and then I picked up a mineral taste that really knocked down all the other flavors that this cigar may have offered.

Loved the history and the classy presentation, though.
+1

It's like a kitchen sink......, Brazil Mata Fina wrapper, Costa Rica binder, Columbia, Honudras, Mexico, Nicaragua filler :dunno: