What's new

Kayak Fishing

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys, just curious if any of yall did any kayak fishing. Ive been fishing all my life and have alway wanted to get in to the small creeks and shallows to get the "big one". and i was wondering if yall had any advice on gearing up a kayak.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have not gone yet, but I am really starting to gear up on going kayak fishing.

Where I live on the west coast of FLA, it seems to be a kayak fishing mecca. Plenty of tidal flats, creeks, rivers, mangroves. Redfish, trout, and Snook are the primary targets.

I am a very accomplished freshwater bass fisherman. Now I have to use that knowledge for the saltwater.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
for fishing, look for at least a 30" beam. Sit on Top is my favorite because its easy to get in and out of, and you can sit sideways. If you are big (fat) get an even wider kayak (up to 36" beam). The longer the kayak, the better it will track, but will be harder to turn. short kayaks turn easy, but tracking will be lousy. narrow beam kayaks go faster. wide beam kayaks are harder to paddle.

if you need more help, lmk

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I love to fish. Last year I saw a lot of people kayak fishing & I really want to give it a try. I live right by the Delaware river. I was looking into one of the collapsible ones because I only have a small car to transport it.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I love to fish. Last year I saw a lot of people kayak fishing & I really want to give it a try. I live right by the Delaware river. I was looking into one of the collapsible ones because I only have a small car to transport it.
there are a lot of lightweight, plastic kayaks out there that can be cartopped.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yea Florida does seem like the capitol of kayak fishing, its kinda had a spark here in SC. Ive been using a ocean kayak frenzy just for exploring around my grand parents house and i love the sit on tops. my buddy and me are planning on using some of his old kayaks, and customize em before the summer starts. do you have any pics of your yak?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use a pontoon boat, one man. Some people call them banana boats, you can get into some very tight locales withe these bad boys.

This isn't my exact boat, but damn near.

I even have a light duty trolling motor setup, when I go bassin in lakes. :applause:

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
yea Florida does seem like the capitol of kayak fishing, its kinda had a spark here in SC. Ive been using a ocean kayak frenzy just for exploring around my grand parents house and i love the sit on tops. my buddy and me are planning on using some of his old kayaks, and customize em before the summer starts. do you have any pics of your yak?
I have nothing really setup yet. I came down here with 2 sit in touring kayaks. too narrow too fish with, and the sit ins are just too tight for my fat body. very claustrophobic.

I have one of these. very wide, but short. extremely stable. you would have to tip it over on purpose. it has rod holders. it is a very slow paddler, so its for very short distances. I am going to rig it up with a trolling motor.

http://www.dragonflyi.com/manta.html

I have the fishing model. I throw it in the back of my pickup. havent gone fishing yet, just paddling around to get used too it.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I use a pontoon boat, one man. Some people call them banana boats, you can get into some very tight locales withe these bad boys.

I even have a light duty trolling motor setup, when I go bassin in lakes. :applause:
real nice

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Vorra thats gotta be a sweet comfortable setup. I wish i could use something like that here but it wouldnt last long the oysters here are like razor blades, my feet and hands can confirm that.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i'll be doing some kayak fishing in belize this spring! totally looking forward to it! there is quite a bit of kayak fishing in SD. haven't done it,,, yet!!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1

Niiice! So where's the ashtray and cooler?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I do a little saltwater fishing and I've seen these guys in their ocean kayaks out sometimes two miles fishing for fluke and weakies. I wouldn't do it, though. But I think they would be good for the back bays.

Last edited: