What's new

Kayaks and Paddling

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I've been kayaking for a few years now and I've tried out a few different kinds. I've paddled in a pelican mustang 100x(10'), pelican trailblazer 80(8'), lifetime tamarack 100(10'), ascend 12t (12'), ascend d10, and a 10' sit on top that I don't recall the brand or model. All 3 sit on tops I've used were super stable but also weighed the most and were the slowest/least maneuverable on the water. Of the sit in kayaks, I like the ascend d10 the most followed by the pelican mustang 100x as these had a nice balance between stability, speed, and weight. The 8' pelican is a nightmare on the river and every time we've gone down a river whoever uses that one flips at least once due to the poor stability. The 10' kayaks fit in my truck bed with the tailgate down without needing any additional support. If you're transporting on a trailer, roof rack, or have a long bed this may not be an issue.

I settled on the d10 due to it's comfy removable seat, reasonable weight, spacious interior, and ability to store a crate behind my seat which holds my tackle boxes, gear, and fishing rods. It does good on lakes and on rivers. It also keeps me dry on smaller rapids that would likely get you wet if using a sit on top kayak. I don't have experience with the models you've mentioned but in my fairly limited experience there isn't a best kayak as they all have pros and cons. You mention you'll mostly be on lakes so a sit on top may suit your needs the best if you don't plan to paddle super long distances. I have a friend who mostly lake fishes but goes down mild rivers with us occasionally on his 12' ascend SOT and while that thing is a barge, it gets the job done with some more effort.
Wow. Those Ascend look really nice Cody.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well, performed like a champ. Not as stable as the tribe, but plenty stable, and faster. Decently fast for a 10' SOT. Storage stayed totally dry. Doubt it's that mold I'd get for fishing. Probably want something more solidly stable for that, but definitely giving up even more speed and agility then. But that's probably why they widened the newer pescador and the "pro"
FB_IMG_1531016072239.jpg
FB_IMG_1531016012053.jpg

FB_IMG_1531016053713.jpg
20180707_173603.jpg

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Well, performed like a champ. Not as stable as the tribe, but plenty stable, and faster. Decently fast for a 10' SOT. Storage stayed totally dry. Doubt it's that mold I'd get for fishing. Probably want something more solidly stable for that, but definitely giving up even more speed and agility then. But that's probably why they widened the newer pescador and the "pro"
View attachment 116907
View attachment 116908

View attachment 116909
View attachment 116910
Your son has the life! Laid back, relaxing and looks like he is getting a tow - LOL