What's new

Keeping it cool

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the temperatures are starting to rise here in Tallahassee so it's that time to keep the temperature down. From what I know the best thing to do is keep it below 70 degrees, correct?

What I have been doing is double bagging ice cubes and putting them in the upper shelves. It has been keeping the temp down but have to do it like twice a day. Any other simpler ways to keep the temperature below 70?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
BigO, sounds like your asking for trouble by adding water that can ruin the cigars either leakage or sweating. I guess there is no basement?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No doubt, that just sound like a bad episode of the Simpson's just waiting to happen. Basement would be best.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
thebigo said:
the temperatures are starting to rise here in Tallahassee so it's that time to keep the temperature down. From what I know the best thing to do is keep it below 70 degrees, correct?

What I have been doing is double bagging ice cubes and putting them in the upper shelves. It has been keeping the temp down but have to do it like twice a day. Any other simpler ways to keep the temperature below 70?
1. Send the smokes to me, I'm cool :thumbsup:
2. Move
3. Buy an AC unit
4. Buy a wine coolidor

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah...I've been worrying about leakage as well.

1) I'm going to look but in your experiences how much do coolerdors run?
2) Does one just put their cigars straight into the coolerdor without a humidor?
3) Am I correct in saying that it's a good idea to keep the humi under 70 degrees?
4) I need a PBJ sandwich.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Wine cooler or a cooled cabinet.

Theres a thread around here somewhere about wine coolers...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
BigO, check out the other threads in this forum. There are more than a couple of threads on wine coolers.
They can be had for anywhere from $100 on up. Typically, you are probably looking at $200-300 depending on size. Depends on how much you want to spend and how much room you need (want). Obviously, as with all humidor-type purchases, go for as big as you can comfortably afford...empty space just doesn't seem to stay empty in this hobby...
You are correct that keeping the smokes below 70 degrees is where you want to be. I feel your pain as I live in Tampa which is why I now have a wine cooler.
You do not need the humidor inside the wine cooler, but I have heard of people keeping humidors inside the wine cooler. Typical in-wine cooler storage is in boxes and trays. Either store the cigars in the boxes they come in if you are keeping full boxes, or there are a number of places where you can get cigar trays (bargainhumidor comes to mind) that you can place in the cooler. I have one large tray in the cooler and the rest of the cigars are in boxes.

Prometheus and Headbanger...no such thing as a basement in Florida my brothers. :roundtheh

I know some brothers have used those freezer packs with ok results but I just get scared with that type of solution.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I ordered an from Ebay an Avanti 28 bottle thermoelectric (scratch and dent) delivered for $169. You can get from Ebay new, small 12 bottle thermoelectric (may hold est 10 boxes) for around a $100 bucks like JW says. Here is a brand new one delivered for under $200, lowest new price I have seen. I would have bought new, but the dented model I ordered saved me $50 bucks. http://cgi.ebay.com/Avanti-28-Bottle-Thermoelectric-Wine-Cooler-New_W0QQitemZ7593548554QQcategoryZ71264QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A cheaper route could be a regular cooler. Keeping the sticks elevated and then keeping some type of cooling device under so the water can not get to the sticks. Even if ice melts, wont harm them that way. The coolers are made to hold the cold in and heat out. But this way you will have a hard time regulating the temp.

I forgot FL is all swamp, so basements no good. No AC tho? Everyone on FL has AC.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
bigo, Jw is right...wine cooler is the only way to go. No more worries at all. I have had one since last summer. Living here in Phoenix, it's the only way to go.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
oh, and I just keep all of mine in boxes...get lots of empty ones for the singles and you are in business. I use an Oasis XL and beads, also just added an electronic temp control for more accurate temp regulation within 3 degees.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Headbanger, yes to the AC, but the bills to keep a house below 70 degrees are insane. Plus, hearing this from the wife: "IT'S COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!" all the time gets aggravating. :wink:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wine Cooler = :thumbsup:

Cost Effective and keeps a seal like a cooler. Able to hold higher temps which is good for RH stabilization.