What's new

Kennel Cough

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Anyone ever have a dog with kennel cough? Good Lord!...I think the little guy is about to cough up a lung!! Vet put him on an antibiotic and children's cough syrup. It's gonna be a long 2-3 weeks...that's the expectancy of the coughing. :stickbeat

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That's rough David. I'm sorry to hear that. It'll be tough but I'm hoping he has a fast and full recovery.

My dog had it when I first got him from the Humane Society. He recovered just fine, but I had him on Bordatella boosters every time he got shots for the remainder of his life. Normally vets only suggest the boosters when you know they will be boarded and around many other dogs. Each booster is good for 6 months. It is said that they can be more suceptable to getting it again once the dog has had it.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Moglman said:
That's rough David. I'm sorry to hear that. It'll be tough but I'm hoping he has a fast and full recovery.

My dog had it when I first got him from the Humane Society. He recovered just fine, but I had him on Bordatella boosters every time he got shots for the remainder of his life. Normally vets only suggest the boosters when you know they will be boarded and around many other dogs. Each booster is good for 6 months. It is said that they can be more suceptable to getting it again once the dog has had it.
He is only 2 years old and had the Bordatella shot last summer when he went to training school. Maybe I will go ahead and have him get the shot with his regular shots then. :dunno:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
windowrx said:
Bear's gotten it a couple times but the antibiotic usually kicked it in about a week.
The vet said that too but also said the cough tends to linger for 2-3 weeks even though the infection was killed by the meds. Bear's cough didn't linger??

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
windowrx said:
It's been a few years back but I don't recall it lingering.
Maybe there's hope for my sanity after all!!

What's funny is the vet gave me a little syringe to use with the cough medicine stating that "he's not gonna like it." I could pour the damn stuff in his bowl and he would lap it up. Damn dog thinks it a treat! :grin:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
He is already much better today. Coughed a little when we got him up but hasn't coughed at all this afternoon. Might not be as bad as I thought it was gonna be. We'll see.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Dave,

Maybe if you wouldn't make him smoke those cheap domestic cigars and let him have at the good Cuban one's he wouldn't be coughing all the damn time. Your just lucky he isn't throwing up furr balls all over your house cause of the lousy cigars you make the poor guy smoke!! :laugh:

Honestly though sorry to hear that your dog isn't feeling good.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
ehdg said:
Dave,

Maybe if you wouldn't make him smoke those cheap domestic cigars and let him have at the good Cuban one's he wouldn't be coughing all the damn time. Your just lucky he isn't throwing up furr balls all over your house cause of the lousy cigars you make the poor guy smoke!! :laugh:

Honestly though sorry to hear that your dog isn't feeling good.
But he loves the "It's a Boy" Fuentes!!