What's new

Keyport, NJ Bans Smoking in Cars with Kids

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070425/NEWS/704250343/1004/NEWS01

Smoking in cars with kids could yield fine
Keyport ban cites health risk

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/25/07

BY KEVIN PENTON
KEYPORT BUREAU
KEYPORT — People who smoke while riding in a vehicle with a child will risk getting a $75 ticket if they pass through the borough, which banned the practice on Tuesday.
Keyport became the first municipality in the state to enact such a ban, allowing police to issue the ticket if they pull someone over for a primary offense, such as speeding, and see the practice occurring.
Police would not be allowed to detain a vehicle and issue the ticket if they did not witness a primary offense, said John Wisniewski, Keyport's attorney.
Jon Barone, a member of the Keyport Board of Health who initially proposed that the borough consider the ordinance, thanked the Borough Council for adopting it.
"There may be some Keyport residents who feel they're finding it harder and harder to smoke in public," Barone said. "We need to protect the rights of our children."
Daniel Rice, one of a handful of residents who commented on the issue, questioned whether the government should police bad parenting.
"If (parents) take (their) kids to McDonald's three times a week instead of every once in a while, are we going to fine them?" asked Rice, who said he is a nonsmoker. "I don't think every good idea needs to be passed into law."
Resident Isaiah Cooper questioned whether Keyport would be willing to commit the financial resources to withstand a legal challenge on the ordinance.
Wisniewski said he believes the ordinance could only be challenged by someone who has been penalized by it.
Mayor Robert Bergen noted that even if police witness the offense, they have the discretion of issuing a ticket or simply a warning.
"My sense is that there would be a very small number of these tickets issued," Bergen said.
Chatham considered a similar ordinance last month, but officials turned it down.
Sen. Raymond J. Lesniak, D-Union, has said he plans to ask the state Senate's Judiciary Committee next month to consider a statewide ban on the practice.
Barone, a family nurse practitioner, said he hopes Keyport's adoption of the smoking ban will help create a groundswell of support for the statewide ban.
"I think we've made an unprecedented decision," Barone said.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I dont like this but unfortunately people do it all the time so i guess I can understand it

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I don't have a problem with at all.
In a house you get some venting in the house, but in a car it is hard to vent when it is raining out.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I always hated it when I rode with my ex-g/f and they smoked in the car. Still hate it today when I ride with people that smoke.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
As much as I disagree with people smoking in their car with kids, the Guv'ment has no right to enforce this.

What's next??
This is true. People should have enough brain cells to not smoke with kids in the car anyway.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be alot better for us as adults if they juts outlawed children. Then there would be no more legislation passed by congress to take away our rights disguised by the "think of the children" tag.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This is true. People should have enough brain cells to not smoke with kids in the car anyway.
I don't necessarily agree with this ban, but hypothetically what of they don't?
At what point do the best interests of the child need protection?
If the parent won't do it, is it the state's responsibility? If not, then what?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
welcome to california! just finished a meeting,,, guy was talking about "third hand smoke", which is, the particals of, uh, smoke i guess, gets on your clothing, and its dangerous to the development of your child's resperatory development. i had to laugh when he said that,,, probably not a good thing, since i was chairing the meeting. to freaking funny!!

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
The gov't shouldn't make a law like this. I didn't think I said anywhere that I agreed it was a good law :dunno: Needless to say, parents should think enough to their kids well being to not smoke in an enclosed environment like that.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
welcome to california!
psst... This was in Jersey.

I didn't think I said anywhere that I agreed it was a good law :dunno:
Never said you did, I was just asking some hypotheticals.
Needless to say, parents should think enough to their kids well being to not smoke in an enclosed environment like that.
Absolutely.
But my question is, what if they don't? What should happen?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Going by the rationale of this law, you would have to outlaw parents from eating bad food in front of their kids.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Going by the rationale of this law, you would have to outlaw parents from eating bad food in front of their kids.
I don't necessarily agree with the law but this quote doesn't make sense. Parents eating bad food doesn't give the kid cancer. Second hand smoke does. Like I said before though i don't agree with the law. I have a 2 yr old daughter and definitely do not smoke anywhere near her. I make it a point to change my shirt and wash up after a stogie before I go around her.

I see the merit of the law but you can't run people's lives for them. I wish everyone instinctively knew not to do things to endanger their children but unfortunately they don't.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It does lead to child obesity if the parent does not eat properly. I should have put that in my initial post for it to make more sense.

Point being, smoking around children is bad because it leads to second hand health issues.

Eating poor foods around children is bad because it teaches bad nutritional habits which lead to a life of childhood obesity.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
caudio I see your point just not necessarily in agreement. I think we all agree on one thing though and that is that this law is ludicrous. It's becoming more apparent that our "democracy" is closer to communism than we would like to believe or admit.