What's new

King of the Cameroon: Part I (La Aurora Pref. Robusto 2006)

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I find Cameroons to have a very identifiable "sweet spice" to them. They are not spicy. I agree with that. That is not how I am using the word "spice" when talking about a Cameroons. In the Context of a Cameroon cigar the spice I am referring to is... I don't want to say all-spice, but like some kind of more generic spice in that same vein.... Not doing a great job of explaining myself, but I don't mean spice as in spicy or peppery.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense...:lookaroun

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I find Cameroons to have a very identifiable "sweet spice" to them. They are not spicy. I agree with that. That is not how I am using the word "spice" when talking about a Cameroons. In the Context of a Cameroon cigar the spice I am referring to is... I don't want to say all-spice, but like some kind of more generic spice in that same vein.... Not doing a great job of explaining myself, but I don't mean spice as in spicy or peppery.

To me the word "spice" is often misused in the cigar world to refer to "spiciness" i.e. non-temperature "hot" tastes on the palate. But there are many spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and many other exotic spices that are not "hot" or "spicy" in that sense. Pipe tobacco often has a lot of these non-spicy spices :)

I agree that Cameroons have a sweet spice to them many times, and usually cedar as well. Though I think there might be some Cameroons that would qualify as "spicy" as well.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I think I get it. I agree.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well i'm actually glad that 'spiciness' came up since I was also under the impression that it literally referred to a cigar being hot-tasting. I think just for the sake of common understanding if I detect spiciness in the sense of there being spicies I'll try and make sure that is well understood.

@Zen Cigar Man, where would I look for Casa Fuente cammy's? Are they really pricey? Thanks!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nevermind, I seemed to have answered my own question. Hard to find and expensive. So does anyone want to donate a Casa Fuente for "research" ? :stretchgr

Last edited:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
the term spicy is almost as misused or misunderstood as the term "body".
I also agree with that. When I first starting getting hard-core into cigars, I was CONSTANTLY confused with the terminology, lol. People toss around terms like "body" "Flavor" "spicy" and "strength" and depending upon who's saying it, they could all mean the same thing, lol. It's kind of crazy.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, here's what's on the way (in accordance with some good suggestions I got):

-AF Hemingway
-Oliva Series G (compliments of one fine brother)
-Perdomo Edicion de Silvio (Cammy)
-Gurkha Grand Age
-Gurkha Royal Brigade

Sounds like I'm going to have my work cut out for myself! I'll try and make sure that the subsequent reviews talk more about flavor and how it changes (or doesn't) throughout the course of the smoke. Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I also agree with that. When I first starting getting hard-core into cigars, I was CONSTANTLY confused with the terminology, lol. People toss around terms like "body" "Flavor" "spicy" and "strength" and depending upon who's saying it, they could all mean the same thing, lol. It's kind of crazy.
I agree 110%. In all fairness though, these terms do tend to lend themselves to serious ambiguity...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok, here's what's on the way (in accordance with some good suggestions I got):

-AF Hemingway
-Oliva Series G (compliments of one fine brother)
-Perdomo Edicion de Silvio (Cammy)
-Gurkha Grand Age
-Gurkha Royal Brigade

Sounds like I'm going to have my work cut out for myself! I'll try and make sure that the subsequent reviews talk more about flavor and how it changes (or doesn't) throughout the course of the smoke. Thanks guys!
Looks like you have some work cut out for you. Send me your addy, I'll try to get you some others to try.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's the master list as it stands. The reviews will be picking up once it gets warmer here at night (it's snowing right now). Thanks for the suggestions guys and I'll be sure to add more if anyone else has a favorite!

-God of Fire (Carlito 2006) = in my possession
-La Aurora Pref. Ltd. Ed. 2006 = completed
-AF Hemingway = on the way
-Gurkha Grand Age = on the way
-Gurkha Royal Brigade = on the way
-Oliva Serie G = on the way
-Perdomo ESV 1991 Maestro = in my possession
-Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Grovy = on the way
-CAO L' Anniversaire Cameroon
-Partagas Decadas Limitadas
-Partagas 160
-Casa Fuente

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Here's the master list as it stands. The reviews will be picking up once it gets warmer here at night (it's snowing right now). Thanks for the suggestions guys and I'll be sure to add more if anyone else has a favorite!

-God of Fire (Carlito 2006) = in my possession
-La Aurora Pref. Ltd. Ed. 2006 = completed
-AF Hemingway = on the way
-Gurkha Grand Age = on the way
-Gurkha Royal Brigade = on the way
-Oliva Serie G = on the way
-Perdomo ESV 1991 Maestro = in my possession
-Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Grovy = on the way
-CAO L' Anniversaire Cameroon
-Partagas Decadas Limitadas
-Partagas 160
-Casa Fuente

Hmm, well you could add the CAO CX2, as well as the Gurkha Nepalese Warrior and Black Dragon, as well as the Torano 1916...all excellent Cammies, imo.

Also, I hear that the AF Don Carlos is pretty different than the Hemingway--I just got my first DC (thanks smokinJ!) but haven't tried it yet.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah, actually the first Cammy I ever tried was the CX2. I heard a rumor at the Tinder Box that they stopped making those. True? I've got those Torano 1916s still on bid (fingers crossed!) and I'll have a look at those other Gurkha's, thanks!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Oh yeah, actually the first Cammy I ever tried was the CX2. I heard a rumor at the Tinder Box that they stopped making those. True? I've got those Torano 1916s still on bid (fingers crossed!) and I'll have a look at those other Gurkha's, thanks!
The Toranos are awsome. Possibly the best "cheap" Cammy available. The CX2 were not discontinued per-se, but they are now exclusive to Famous-Smoke, who are one of this sites supporters. They're only $99 for a box of robustos right now with a CAO sampler (the nice one) and ashtray for free...pretty good deal. They also have them up regularly on their auctions.

Between the CX2 and the L'Anniverary Cameroon I'd probably give the nod to the CX2, but I haven't smoked enough of either to make a real determination.

I myself am having my own personal Cameroon competition this year to decide my favorites, so I'll keep paying close attention to your threads :)

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
If you can find it, try a La Caya Cameroon. Cheap & very tasty.
(At least the two that I had, handed to me by the owner at Cigarfest last year.)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Man, at some point you'll have to draw the line in your quest (or not). there are a lot of cigars out there with Cameroon wrappers. But that's also a good thing. Having tons of different cigars made with your favorite wrapper, some even have a little in the filler (like the Don lino Africa) just means you get to smoke more cigars!

Quick list of some of my faves

Torano Cameroon 1916
LFD Cameroon Cabinet (Cameroon Ligero wrapper!)
Cusano Rare Cameroon
Camacho Select
Camacho Liberty 07 (I think)
Casa Fuente
Leon Jimenes 300 series (a wrapper from 2001)
Ashton Heritage Puro So
CAO L'Anniversaire cammie
Cuesta-Rey Stamford's Reserve
La Aurora 1405 Connoisseur Series Cameroon (u can still find these)
LFD 2000 Series
H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon (not bad actually)
and most you had already listed

There are many more, but these are some of the better ones

Some of the "others" include:
Nub Cameroon
Monte Serie C
lots of Altadis and General brands
Alec Bradley Trilogy Cameroon

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I will have to draw the line somewhere because my new humidor is getting full FAST! I think my goal with this thread, and the others like it, will be to take the brothers' favorite Cameroons and review those. Of course, I'll be trying as many cammys as I can but I won't be putting all of those in the review, only the best. :stretchgr