What's new

La Duena Belicoso #2

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Quick Review of one of my new favorites, thought I would share with you guys.

IMG_1146.jpg
My Father La Duena: Cigar Review

Size: 5 1/4x 54

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf

Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf and Nicaraguan

Filler: Connecticut Broadleaf and Nicaraguan

MSRP: 8.75$ (USD)

Total Production: Regular Production

Source: Local B&M; purchased by reviewer

La Duena is the brainchild of Pete Johnson of Tatuaje cigars as a tribute to Janny Garica of the Garica Family (My father Cigars) and to her overall preference and style of cigars. The translation is held in a few places online as being "The Boss" (which I believe is "El Jefe" in some context), but a quick plug into a translation program showed me "The Mistress". The blend is extremely heavy with Connecticut Broadleaf, which lends a richness to the cigar without giving it overwhelming strength. Pete Johnson said the blend is made in the same style as his cigar La Castia Criolla, which uses only Connecticut Broadleaf tobacco.

Construction: The cigar itself is beautifully wrapped and very firm with just a tiny amount of give. The Red and White label really gives a stark contrast to the Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. Burn is a little uneven and required a touch-up or two, but nothing that required constant attention. Ash held on for firm one inch chunks before needing attention.

Pre-Light: Musty aroma from the foot and wrapper with a small amount of leather and spice. Pre-light draw shows dark chocolate and a sweet raisin tobacco. Interestingly even the pre-light aroma and draw from the stick was extremely rich and dense.

1st 3rd: The flavor opens with a very rich combination of chocolate, earth, meat, and just a touch of leather and spice. The smoke production is light, but very dense in flavor. The Connecticut Broadleaf ins abundant in the cigar and it shows early on; the smoke is very "chewy" and coats the palate in flavor.

2nd 3rd: The Duena really comes into its own around the halfway point; everything becomes a little more balanced and a nice sweetness joins the already dense flavors. Chocolate and nuts are the dominate flavors with earth coming and going every few puffs.

Final 3rd: The final few inches give everything a little more depth and intensity as the cigar burns down to a cool and firm nub. The dominate note is Chocolate and everything else falls to the side to let it shine and dominate the profile.

The La Duena definitely smokes like a Tatuaje cigar, with a "Pepin"-like feel to it. This was the first cigar that I smoked, and then bought two boxes before I even finished the first sample....It is that good. I really had to look for flaws in this cigar, and ultimately only came up with the burn, which wasn't that large of an issue to me. Pete has created another masterpiece of a cigar that will be a hit for quite sometime.

Apperance: 2/2
Construction: 2/2
Burn: 1.75/2
Flavor: 2/2
Price: 1.75/2
Total: 9.5/10

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stick, had a #7 lancero fresh out of the ups box at the local b&m. Plan on getting a box.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fantastic cigar, I don't generally run to the computer to buy a box following one cigar.....this one was one of them. Fantastic cigar - only complaint and I think this is true for other conn broadleaf cigars is that the wrapper can be a little delicate

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I need to revisit the larger RG's. I almost quit on this cigar after trying beli, rob, and short rob.

I was given a PL and now it's a staple - just cracked another box.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I started off with the No. 13 Box Press, which I loved so much it was all I smoked -- until my lounge ran out (they still have not restocked this shape). Next I moved to the belicoso, which is my second favorite shape (after box press) for mouth feel. It seems to burn hotter, perhaps due to the need to draw it for more smoke? I like it a lot, but not as much as the #13.

Enter the petit lancero no. 7. I feared it would simply smoke too fast due to its size, but I have enjoyed these SO much that it might be my favorite of the line (I can't tell exactly, since I still can't get my hands on a 13 for comparison). The 7 is absolutely the spiciest of the bunch, which hits you as soon as you light it.

Love these. As you can tell from my avatar ;)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Had a chance to try one of these the other day:

First I apologize for no pictures but I smoked this cigar while lounging in the pool.

I picked this smoke up at my local B&M the other day. Interestingly enough the tobacconist asked if I had one before and I indicated no. His response was "well you will either love it or hate it"

From the manufacturer:

La Duena marks Janny Garcia’s move to the spotlight of My Father cigars. Don’t know Janny? Janny is the daughter of Pepin Garcia, and arguably the brains behind My Father’s success. So it’s only fitting that La Duena translates to “the boss.” Blended by Pete Johnson of Tatuaje fame, La Duena offers a softer side of the My Father family and another delicious blend to add to their ever-expanding portfolio.

On the surface, La Duena appears to be like any other My Father creation: dark, oily, and with an impeccable construction. Unlike most My Father blends, the oily wrapper that graces this cigar is actually a Connecticut Broadleaf. Underneath the savory wrapper is some more Connecticut Broadleaf mixed with Nicaraguan tobaccos. The overall result is a smooth, medium-bodied blend with notes of leather, cedar, and espresso. The finish is concise and smooth, with a slight spice to it at first. This one is enjoyable from tip to foot.

Appearance:
I found the cigar to be very attractive. I selected a belicoso, one of my most favorite sizes. The wrapper has a uniform dark brown appearance. its smooth minimal veins, tight seems with a dry appearance. I wouldn't call this oily. The simple red and white band appears elegant against the dark wrapper. I've always been attracted to good looking cigars and this one was top notch. The looks of the smoke really draw me to it.

Burn:
The cold draw produced a rich lush heavy loamy taste and this was the primary taste throughout the cigar. The cigar lit well and required no touch ups throughout the entire smokes. The ash was firm light gray with a razor straight burn line. I ashed the cigar a total of 3 times while smoking, which is very unusual for me.

Taste:
The initial flavors were a strong heavy loamy \ compost taste followed by a spicy pepper tingle on my lips. The spice quickly faded but the heavy earthy loamy flavor stayed throughout the entire smoke. It was rich, lush heavy and extremely smooth. Even the retrohale produced this same flavor profile which I found quite unique. I've had maduros which gave off a loamy taste before but never to this extent. The only cigar I can remember having a heavy loam taste like this was the old HdM Rothschilds double maduros. But they also had an anise flavor that isn't present here. While I wouldn't call this cigar overly complex I found the richness of the flavor quite engaging.

At the midway point the loam settled down a bit and some woody \ earthy notes came up along with the slight spice. The spice faded again going into the final third and that rich loamy taste was back.

This deep earthy loamy flavor was very strong intense and lush. I've never had a smoke like this before and I can see why it would be a polarizing cigar. It may turn off some but others will really enjoy it. Very smooth and rich.

The La Duena is a full bodied medium strength smoke. My one sample performed absolutely perfectly. It had the looks, feel, performance and flavor that was top notch. With all that being said, it wouldn't be a smoke that I could smoke all day every day, but for an occasional smoke or special occasion I really enjoyed it.

Definitely worth a try