danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0

Size: 5 x 52
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $3.00 - 4.00 (I paid around $1.00)

Intro: A little while back I did something that I feel pretty comfortable saying most of the guys on this board have done...bought a box blind. Now I was able to get it for a good price (a little over $20) and I have already smoked and enjoyed the La Perla Black Pearl. Otherwise I probably would have passed. One never knows in these situations whether they have done well or wasted some cash. I really don't expect much from a cigar in this price range, but after smoking a few I think I can say that I didn't do too bad. On a positive note and not that it really means much, but the torpedo version of this cigar made it to the 16th spot on CA's 2008 top 25 list.

Prelight: Prelight inspection reveals a medium brown wrapper with quite a bit of oiliness to it. Seams are tight and the cap is neatly applied. I'm probably imagining things, but it seems to me that the wrapper on these have darkened since I put 'em in the humidor. Slight give when pinched and a semi-sweet barnyard aroma coming from it. I made the mistake of punching this one instead of cutting, mostly cause I was getting ready to take the dogs for a walk and didn't want to retrieve my cutter. I've tried a punch on several and always end up splitting the cap, this time was no different. Didn't affect the draw any. Set it ablaze with a Ronson, attached the dogs to their leashes, and away we went...

First Third: Initial flavors were a peppery, slightly sweet wood. The pepper was a little overwhelming, not in it's intensity, but it overwhelmed the other flavors a little. Pepper subsided about an inch or so in leaving a more distinguishable wood flavor with a faint caramel sweetness on the finish. The burn on this one was not so good. From the get go it wavered and the wrapper didn't seem to want to burn on one side. Smoke output was great, draw was spot on, and ash clung on strongly.

Second Third: Going into the second third the flavors are pretty much the same. I'm starting to get a faint coffee aroma on the retro hale, but otherwise the woody, caramel flavors are the same. The burn is worse, requiring several touch ups...which when you're walking three very excited dogs can be a challenge.

Last Third: In the last third the flavors took on a muted, ashy tone which caused me to pitch it down a storm drain. The burn didn't get any better, it seemed like one side just didn't want to burn.

Final Thoughts: Overall not a great cigar, but not the bottom of the barrel either. The burn issue was annoying, but I've had others that didn't have that...which in itself was an indicator of a lack of consistency. They provide enough flavor that it keeps me interested, but not necessarily something that I feel bad about not providing my undivided attention to. Also cheap enough that if I end up not finishing it I can chuck it without feeling my wallet cry out. I expect I'll burn more of these when I really start cleaning up the yard now that the weather is getting nicer.

Dan

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I love these. For the price they can't be beat. A really nice cameroon.

Too bad about the burn issues. I never had that happen with this one, but every brand has bad apples once in a while it seems.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Been curious of these for a while, always wanted to try their lines. But these days I don't really go for budget cigars. Not enough room in the humidor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about these for a while. Almost bought a couple times but never pulled the trigger.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
These are not the same blend that was in CA, La Perla had a limited amount of tobacco for that run. While these are OK, the original Morado was a much better cigar.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the review.

I bought a blind box of Black Pearls for the same price, $20, smoked 2 then decided to let them sit and see if they improved at all. After 6 months I smoked another, nothing. Then after a year, I smoked 2 more and still no improvement. The other 15 or so went into the garbage. :(