What's new

La Perla Habana Morado

Flyer75

Flyer Faithful
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I smoked one of these about a month ago. Bought it at a B/M and smoked it there. It was a little over priced and I see now I can get these allot cheaper at CI or Cbid but a decent smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy,

They were delivered about a week ago. Since then they have been kept in their original box in my humidor. I keep my humidor at roughly 50* F and 63% humidity.

My brother and I smoked them within a day of having them delivered. I'm big into aging cigars so I'll let them sit and see how they progress. Let's give it some time and then I can send some to you.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Woof... 50*??

Did you mean 60, or is that not a typo? Cause that might be your problem. All of my cigars, if they're that cold, get dry, brittle, burn fast and taste bitter. If you can get your temp to around 60, or better still, 65, I think you may like these sticks better... Also everything from CI takes a little humi down-time, IMO (well... Everything from EVERYWHERE, if it wasn't a B'n'M.

See if you can't raise the temp, and give them some down time. Fingers crossed, because I love these sticks, so I hope you can enjoy 'em too!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that is correct about the temp. I keep the temp like that because I was going off of the conditions Edward Sahakian at Davidoff of London uses in his humidor for aging. Also, I have read that other agers of Cuban stock use the same conditions. I think humidity is more important than temperature IF and only if the temperature is not extreme. By extreme I mean too low (30* F) or to high (80* F). Do you know what I'm trying to say? What do you think?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The new ones are a decent smoke well worth the price that you pay for them. But IMHO they don't compare to the original Morado. Even the packaging is different.

Used to be able to get the originals for about $3.50 apiece. When the word got out, they shot up literally to $8.00 overnight. A friend of mine was lucky enough to find a couple of boxes at Holt's last year. Needless to say I jumped when he told me about them. He got one box and I got the other. Hope I get lucky enough to find another.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
The new ones are a decent smoke well worth the price that you pay for them. But IMHO they don't compare to the original Morado. Even the packaging is different.

Used to be able to get the originals for about $3.50 apiece. When the word got out, they shot up literally to $8.00 overnight. A friend of mine was lucky enough to find a couple of boxes at Holt's last year. Needless to say I jumped when he told me about them. He got one box and I got the other. Hope I get lucky enough to find another.
Yeah I picked up a box too, the original packaging kicked ass and the Cameroon wrapper was so much tastier. I'm thinking they simply ran out of stock and couldn't find a new blend to compare. Here's a quote from La Perla from 2008:

"We wish we had enough of this tobacco to produce several years' worth of our new Black Pearl Morado (Purple) premium cigar," explains Doug Wood, founder and president of La Perla Habana Cigars. "But, its featured Cameroon wrapper is in shorter supply than we expected, so we can only offer limited supplies of Morado..."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to put up an update regarding this cigar. Since having the first one and posting my "review" of it things have changed a little bit. I am actually starting to enjoy it more and more. Perhaps the humidor time has helped. Like I said in an earlier post I don't keep my humidor at popular 70/70, but keep it cooler and with less RH.

I have found that the characteristics of this cigar has changed quite dramatically from the first one that I had. Like I also said in my first post about this cigar I don't judge a cigar based on just one cigar let alone from the first or second third. I've now had about four or five cigars from the box and they are definitely "growing" on me.

The flavor profile of the cigar is becoming more rich. I look forward to having one in about six months to see how much they change.