What's new

Lampe Berger - keeping cigar smell out of garage

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So my wife suggested I get my birthday present for myself - a Lampe Berger lamp. This is an ionic oil lamp that eats the cigar smoke odor right out of the air. I've recently set up a man cave in the garage and one could still smell cigars for a few days. TheTravelingJ has told me a lot about this lamp and how it makes his house seem there's never been any smoking in it. I'm using it now and love it. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info there. Wheere can I pick one up? That way, I could smoke somewhere within the same zip code as my house. lol.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Great info there. Wheere can I pick one up? That way, I could smoke somewhere within the same zip code as my house. lol.
That's funny! On that note...Last cigar night, one of our buddies who joined us for the second game had to park up the street, and he said he could very esily smell the cigar smoke!

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
We love ours to pieces and it goes everywhere we do. eBay is a great place to pick them up, as well as the oil and replacement stones. After about a year we bought a new stone ($20 at Outlaw, about $3 on eBay) and it's like brand new. It's great for removing all sorts of odors from the air, smoke, cooking smells, wet dog, etc. You can pick aromatic oils, or non-perfumed oils so they don't add weird smells.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I've used one of these in the house for years, bought it at Kirkland since I don't smoke in the house no need to battle cigars, just normal smells.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Lampe Berger is probably the most expensive out there, at least they were at one time. Several manufacturers sell these and they do work very well.

Alot of up-scale B&M's will also carry them, as noted by TravelingJ's post about purchasing one at Outlaws.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
They work very well, we use it at the shop and I use it at home as well. It neutralizes the smell of smoke and more importantly keeps the shop from having that musty stale smoke smell the next day. They start as low as $35 and depending on how fancy of one you need they go up to the $150 range from the ones I have seen sold at the shop. The oil can be around $30 a bottle for the big bottle and if you are using it properly(and not letting it go uncapped longer then 10-15 minutes at a time) can last easily a month or more.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
how do these things work?
To Use a Lampe Berger, follow these easy steps:
1. Place your Lampe Berger on a stable surface.
2. Fill lamp approximately 2/3 full with fragrance oil of your choice. We recommend using Neutral to soften any fragrance you find too strong.
3. Insert the Lampe Berger wick into the lamp completely. When using for the first time, let the wick soak for 20 minutes before using.
4. Light the wick. After 2 minutes blow out the flame.
5. Put the vented cover back on the Lampe Berger. Your Lampe Berger is now working to remove odors, purify and fragrance the air. While the lamp is working, there is no smoke or flame, just a little heat coming off the top of the lamp.
6. Once your Lampe Berger has removed odors (after about 10-15 minutes) and added enough fragrance for you (usually about 20 minutes), carefully remove the vented cover and place the solid cap back on the Lampe Berger. The quicker you put the solid cap on your Lampe Berger, the longer your fragrance oil will last.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Lampe Berger is probably the most expensive out there, at least they were at one time. Several manufacturers sell these and they do work very well.

Alot of up-scale B&M's will also carry them, as noted by TravelingJ's post about purchasing one at Outlaws.
In my experience, it's also one of the better brands. they held the patent on that design for many many years, and it recently expired and the knock offs came out. We've tried other oils in ours, and it was very obvious that it wasn't the real deal. The other lamps might have stepped it up in the mean time, though.

Like Craig said, just a short time running after you smoke, and you are golden.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Not disputing your statement J, but the "knock-off's" of the lamp Berger have been out there for quite some time.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Not disputing your statement J, but the "knock-off's" of the lamp Berger have been out there for quite some time.
Of course, but it wasn't until recently that they were able to start making pretty much the same thing as the Lampe Berger. Before that, they were a straight waste of money.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
How large an area will they cover? I am just getting started building a mancave in the basement and wondered if I would be able to get away with doing this and no an expensive exhaust fan. My area will be about 12x16.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
How large an area will they cover? I am just getting started building a mancave in the basement and wondered if I would be able to get away with doing this and no an expensive exhaust fan. My area will be about 12x16.
It works well in our shop which is much bigger than that area you mentioned, we usually have 5-6 people smoking when we light it. Your basement will be really smokey in that small an area with no exhaust.

Just as a side note, this won't keep anyone's wife from smelling smoke. It is best to use during smoking to minimize the smell a bit and after smoking to kill the lingering odors smoking causes. The lamps are not magical smoke eaters.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
For that size I'd still install a couple of exhaust fans, like the kind you find in a bathroom....there not that expensive.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife picked up one these years ago to mask her cigarette smoke and it worked great so I got one for my den. It won't completely hide a night of multiple cigars but it works better than anything else I have tried and the scented oils are not flowery or overpowering. A good tip is to mix any scented oil 50-50 with the neutral oil for an even lighter scent.