What's new

Lancero: undesirable size?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have no problem with the popular trend toward the big ring gauge. In fact, I see it as "more lanceros for us!" I love the lancero format- lonsdales are a good one too. However, I'm not opposed to smoking a big ring every now and then. I think certain blends are good with a little more filler taste.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have no problem with the popular trend toward the big ring gauge. In fact, I see it as "more lanceros for us!" I love the lancero format- lonsdales are a good one too. However, I'm not opposed to smoking a big ring every now and then. I think certain blends are good with a little more filler taste.
The problem with that view though, is that Lancero's are becoming a "lost art". Fewer and fewer new lines are featuring a lancero as an optional vitola from what I have seen. *shrug*

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like everyone has said; yup, they're largely unpopular...But look who sells the most cigars, not exactly what most of "us" would buy.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The problem with that view though, is that Lancero's are becoming a "lost art". Fewer and fewer new lines are featuring a lancero as an optional vitola from what I have seen. *shrug*
So unfortunately true. Retailers sell more of larger RGs so they implore manufacturers to produce more of larger RGs and the lancero-, corona-, panatela-loving smokers in the world are left searching through fewer and fewer options.

Mmmmm, love some Oliva V lanceros. Tat petite black's are even better.
I'm hoping to age some of the tat black lanceros but it will be difficult!
I bought a box of the Tat NY/NJ BL Lanceros specifically to do that and I'm already down to just a few left...so good.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Big big fan of the small ring gauge.

It's really not about how it looks for me...but guys with the double robustos and toro and such can keep on looking "manly".

I've always felt if you have a lancero in your hands you ooze class, and look like you know what you're doing. Which is just as vain as anything else. So yeah...

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
+1 in the camp of preferring the smaller RG's. Also, I had been of the mind of 'smoke what you like'....more for me.

However, last couple trips to B&M's have been more and more distressing. The last half-dozen new blends carried in my local have been in RG's 55+. Only. I'm worried about how the current market is now affecting my choices.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'll go against the grain and admit I'm not a huge lancero fan. Between the way it looks, the way it feels when I'm holding it and the fact that I've had more construction issues (plugged) with lanceros than any other size, I usually steer clear of them. Most of the lanceros I've had that I liked had very similar profiles in sizes I find I enjoy more.

So yeah, I'm the odd one out. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say up front that the Lancero is one of my favorite vitolas, I have a box of the Cain F and the Tat BL alongside El Triunfador and several of Dion's excellent HLs in my humidor. Another point to consider in the overall popularity of the Lancero, is that it does require more concentration to smoke than a 50+ RG cigar. If you puff too fast or too hard you are going to ruin the experience. And from what I have seen, even amongst the guys that pay for lockers at the local B&M, many people consider cigar smoking a purely social activity. So if you are concentrating more on your conversation or social experience, I can see why these people do not choose the Lance, it distracts too much from the social part of their experience. I have nothing against those guys, they leave more of the smaller RG stuff on the shelves for me and they keep the conversation going when I get lost in how creamy and delicious my El Triunfador Lancero is.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A 38 x 5/5.5 is hard to beat IMO. So much flavor in a small short smoke. I tend to stick to smaller RGs, so lanceros (or variant) are often a staple for me.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I started off smoking robustos, but now I typically prefer cigars with anywhere from 36 to a 48 ring gauge, rarely do I purchase larger vitolas. Petit coronas, corona, corona gorda, lancero, petit lancero, these are my favorite sizes. They are flavorful yet not overwhelming. They stay lit, and best of all dont take 3 hours like a Churchill does.( I smoke very slowly)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Love me some lanceros! Not a fan of big rg cigars. Fell in love with the petit black label lancero and the Oliva V.