What's new

Laptop shopping for work

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's one hell of a system Brian, but to be honest I think it is Major overkill for what you are wanting it for.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I looked at that one but wanted cheaper. It listed for $990 but was on sale and then went cheaper by ordering the router. They have really werid deals to get the Geek squad in your house. Also they guy says to buy the two year warranty. This one is not made any more so when it breaks in two years they have to upgrade you. Hmmmmm I didnt buy it.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Sermed you need to just create a thread that lists all the ins and outs of a credit card :rofl: You're a wealth of knowledge with them.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Amex has insurance on purchases. It dies or is broken, you get a new one. The term I think is a year. We got a brand new 42 inch plasma for the office that way.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That's one hell of a system Brian, but to be honest I think it is Major overkill for what you are wanting it for.
I agree. I told him the $800 machines would be fine but that's what he wanted. He did use Amex so that's pretty cool too.

Thanks for all the input on this! :thumbsup:

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Amex has insurance on purchases. It dies or is broken, you get a new one. The term I think is a year. We got a brand new 42 inch plasma for the office that way.
Amex adds an extra year up to a 5 yr warranty. So if you have a 5yr warranty, it makes it six.
Most Visa/MC will only add an extra year to a 1yr warranty (making it 2yrs).
Check the details on any card you plan on using.
Amex is nice because some of their cards also include Return Protection. Which means if a retailer won't take back an item (past the return period, no returns accepted, etc), you can send it to Amex and they'll credit your account. Not so great with large items cause you have to pay the shipping, but nice when buying from potentially sketchy online vendors.
Sorry for threadjack.
Edit: The Return Protection is only valid up to 90 days from the date of purchase.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I had no idea...and I use my Amex all the time.
Me too

Amex adds an extra year up to a 5 yr warranty. So if you have a 5yr warranty, it makes it six.
Most Visa/MC will only add an extra year to a 1yr warranty (making it 2yrs).
Check the details on any card you plan on using.
Amex is nice because some of their cards also include Return Protection. Which means if a retailer won't take back an item (past the return period, no returns accepted, etc), you can send it to Amex and they'll credit your account. Not so great with large items cause you have to pay the shipping, but nice when buying from potentially sketchy online vendors.
Sorry for threadjack.
Edit: The Return Protection is only valid up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
Thanks for the info

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nah, go get the 2....you'll have it for a couple years, might as well get what you really want

Eh. I broke down. Didn't want to wait any longer and I really didn't want to spend as much as I was going to have to in order to get a 2GigHz.

Sooooooooooooooooo....
I went with this deal.
Gateway MX6958
Intel Core Duo 1.6GHZ
120 Gig Hard Drive
1G Ram
Windows Media Center with free upgrade to Vista...we'll see about that.
And some other bells and whistles.

$649 at Best Buy during their "Two-Day" sale yesterday. Couldn't pass that up.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Eh. I broke down. Didn't want to wait any longer and I really didn't want to spend as much as I was going to have to in order to get a 2GigHz.

Sooooooooooooooooo....
I went with this deal.
Gateway MX6958
Intel Core Duo 1.6GHZ
120 Gig Hard Drive
1G Ram
Windows Media Center with free upgrade to Vista...we'll see about that.
And some other bells and whistles.

$649 at Best Buy during their "Two-Day" sale yesterday. Couldn't pass that up.
I am really happy with my gateway. Was a little concerned as I hadn't really eard anything about these in a while. Wireless function is awesome fast.

Good luck.