What's new

Laptops

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well the time has come for me to get a laptop, but I'm not sure what manufacture to get. The fiance and I are always fighting for the computer. So I would like the mobility of a laptop. Right now we have a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop. I have had a lot of success with it which has me leaning towards a Dell.

I will mainly use it for music, videos, web browsing and some document creation.

I like the Apples, but I'm leaning away because I don't know about the compatibilty with Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

However, I have narrowed it down to Toshiba, DELL, Sony and Apple.

Below is a spec that I made over at Dell. It deson't have to be exactly like this.

Please provide me some feed back.

Inspiron 6000
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display
15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
Memory
1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
Video Card
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
Hard Drive
80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
Network Card
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Card
Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards
Office Software (not included in Windows XP)
Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Word, Excel, and Outlook email
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)
McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 24-months
Battery
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Operating System Backup & Recovery
PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment
Deluxe Entertainment Pack - Starter plus a total Music and Photo package
Audio Options
PCMCIA Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Notebook sound card

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have a new G4 with a super processor or whatever and love it... I am running the most current edition of microsoft office on here.. Everything works perfect... and the email program is even better, Entorage is awesome, so much better than outlook IMO....
I had a Dell, and I like the MAC better

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
word/excel/powerpoint all open flawlessly on the OSX version of microsoft office. The only problem I had in the past is including certain images in documents and exporting them and opening them again in windows (it asks for a quicktime plugin or something, I don't know)

If you want to buy from Dell, send me a PM and I will share my employee and affiliate discount code.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea good point on the discount code... If you are a student, then Apple offers great rebates (or did) i got a $250 rebate, so i got the superdrive.. and I also got a free ipod, which I already had one, so i sold it on EBAY for another 200 bucks...

So look around, I loved my Dell, but I love my MAC more...

derek

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Josh, I might PM you.

So if I understand this correctly. I can take my copy of Micosoft Office 2003 and just install it on a Mac. I don't need to do anything else? If there a certian OS I need to have on the MAc?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
tobby4 said:
yea good point on the discount code... If you are a student, then Apple offers great rebates (or did) i got a $250 rebate, so i got the superdrive.. and I also got a free ipod, which I already had one, so i sold it on EBAY for another 200 bucks...

So look around, I loved my Dell, but I love my MAC more...
Yeah they still give student discounts. The new intel MacBook Pro is $1800 (thats $200 off) and includes 100GB hard drive, +/- superdrive, 128MB video card, dual core intel processor with 2MB cache etc... its pretty sweet. I plan on getting one when the next batch of models comes out (I like to wait for the bugs to be figured out, and they might release a smaller size, bump specs etc)

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Office works best with OSX the newest MAC operating system.... But you do have to have the MAC version of windows... It comes with like 3 codes.. so if you go with a MAC I can send you my disk and a code in exchange for some smokes.. not worried about it, but just let me know, because I really do not mind...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea i got the 12 inch... for school it is perfect... damn thing weighs 4 pounds as compared to the 9 that the Dell weighed... but i love it.. I got the powerbook instead of the IBook becuase i dabble with Garage band and my best friend is in a band so we try and record a little bt with my comp....

I also like the "enhanced" graphics that the Powerbook has....

The only thing about buying one now is that they will be released with the Intel chips later this year... and then yes you have to wait for the few bugs to get worked out.....

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
derek said:
Thanks Josh, I might PM you.

So if I understand this correctly. I can take my copy of Micosoft Office 2003 and just install it on a Mac. I don't need to do anything else? If there a certian OS I need to have on the MAc?
You will ned the mac version of office. They have a student version which costs less. Latest release is from 2004, and its actually better than the windows one in my opinion. The files can be exchanged between the versions without a problem.

You can't get visio if you need that, but theres another program for making flowcharts that I use instead that I like better called omnigraffle.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Oh yea I am offering the Student Version... cause that is what i bought... and cause i got more of a discount being a student in state or something like that....

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
tobby4 said:
Oh yea I am offering the Student Version... cause that is what i bought... and cause i got more of a discount being a student in state or something like that....
I actually have the free copy of Office 2004 I got from my school which doesn't use a serial. hah

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
joshua said:
I actually have the free copy of Office 2004 I got from my school which doesn't use a serial. hah

EH.. either way its cool with me... i think mine was 100 bucks after everything... which when you consider it, it becomes a wash with the rebates I got...

I am mad, I did not make the switch sooner... I will be a MAC person for life now I believe...

derek

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok I been over at the Apple site reading. Now that I see there is a office pack for the Mac I'm more interested in it. Here is a dumb question tho. If I order online or even go into the store do I need to prove I'm a student or teacher to get Office 2004 for Mac - Student and Teacher Edition?

Jason - have been hearing horror stories as well tonight from some of my friends. So I think the Toshiba is out.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Dude, I will get you the Office Disk for free.. not worried about it... but you do have to have a student ID or some sort of ID to show that you are either a student or a teacher to get the overall discount on the computer....

I went to the store... so i just had to show them my ID, i really do not know about online though...

derek

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tobby I would definitly be interest in trading a some cigars for the disk. However I'm a curious person and was just wondering. I don't want the overall discount just corious about the student edition software.

I think I have it narrowed to a Mac or Dell. Since I have the next couple days off I'm gonna go to my local Apple store and hit them with some questions and play around with a couple of them(of course thats after all the wedding planning I have to do, so probally no time till sunday).

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hey, i will send it and you can just send me what you think is fair....

But I do think that it will be easier in the store to prove that you are a teacher or whatever... and yea have fun "looking" cause i tried to do that and left with my new computer...

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My reply only reflects my experience with Dell.

That being said, part of my tax return this year will be getting a new laptop- Alienware m5700. When the new one arrives, I will be punting my current Dell laptop into the street and then running over it with my car.

The Dell has had multiple internal hardware problems. I've had to re-format the OS twice, both times due to BIOS problems, and tech support Sucks. Well, after you get someone who speaks intelligible English, it's not too bad, but that's an ordeal.

I have a Dell desktop at work that I'm very happy with, but NEVER again will I get a Dell laptop.