What's new

Large lawn care

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So, I just went under agreement on a house with a 3 acre yard.... I dont think my 18" Craftsman self propelled walk behind mower is gonna work anymore. What's everyone's thoughts on the best riding/stand on mower? Traditional lawn tractor, zero turn? Not a huge yard by any means, but I'd like to keep the now time to around 3-4 if possible.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Buy a Scag zero-turn and never look back. Our yard is similarly situated and, after numerous mower upgrades, we're finally happy with our zero-turn from a slightly lesser brand. But there's a sting of buyer's remorse as the Scag would have been perfect

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Used to do hours and hours of mowing on the farm on a John Deere zero turn, so damn nice, so comfortable. Honestly something to consider is see if you have a JD dealer close by or whichever dealers you might have as service should something break will be much more convenient

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think most zero turn manufacturers make "residential" class mowers and "commercial" grade mowers. If you are going to be cutting 3 acres for the foreseeable future take a hard look at the higher quality commercial mowers.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Scag is about the best for a gas mower. I run a diesel grasshopper at my place. Its replacement will be a kubota diesel.

Figure out what options are for service in the area. That should weigh heavily in your decisions. All mowers eventually have some down time, and as they age, it becomes more frequently. Just getting parts, fluids, etc is a pain if you have to drive an hour...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We have a little over a acre including our hill we own which is very steep. We cut with a John deere d130 and it does well its a 2015 and we have had many brands like simplicity and kubota and always had problems with them. Transmission went out on both of them dealer says it’s the hill we cut is hard on it but the Deere cuts it like nothing. You are just paying for the name with those brands.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate keeping up with the lawn. But at that size you should look at a small tractor with double deck cuter. You never know when you might need tractor stuff.

I grow grapes. If I had 3 acres or even 1, I would want a tractor or a mule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you buy a tractor you still need to trim, a lot. With a zero turn it's a lot less to tidy up around the bushes and fence lines. Unless you plan on planting a large garden and need all the extra 3 point hitch stuff (which also gets expensive) stay with the zero turn. I used to cut 10 acres of field with a bush hog and 5 acres around the gardens, orchard, house, and driveway with the zero turn. Make friends with the neighbors, especially the ones with all the equipment, a couple of 6 packs of beer will often knock out what ever little tractor chores need doing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scaggs/deer zero turn with 72" deck. You'll love riding on it. Makes it harder to drink beer tho compared with regular mower. But the speed/turning radius is worth it. Cut your time in half spent on that property.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I think I've Got it narrowed down to either a Deere or a Bad Boy, both have local service!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk