What's new

Larger humidor air circulation

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I remember reading in one of these forums that a taller humidor will have a difference in RH from the top to the bottom. I was talking to Jeff about circulation. He suggested that if needed one of those fans that comes in the glade air fresheners with the battery pack would be a good idea.
I also heard that someone put a computer fan in there and just ran the small power wire out of the humidor and plugged it in.
Is any of this a good idea? Would circulation be beneficial enough for me to go out and through this trouble to make circulation to keep the RH constant on all levels of the humidor?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have the set and forget from Staebell.

You should give him a call and give him the dimensions of your humidor and he can help you out with a perfect system. I have never had a problem. Humi is always at a steady 65/65.

He does sell the systems seperate. I think they are around $250.00. But you are done and never any problems.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow...I'm not talking about anything that extreme. I'm just talking about the marginal RH change in a humidor about a foot high.

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Depends on height and airflow obstruction. If your humidor is less than 4' tall, and it is not too packed with boxes, I wouldn't worry. On the otherhand, my Avallo is so packed that there is very little circulation, so I have a few of the air freshener fans and beads to help out.

Edit - just saw your follow-up - don't waste any time thinking about this with a 1' tall humidor.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I alsom use the small fan. I think those small computer fans run on DC, so you might be able to just hook it up to a small lantern battery inside.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the laws of physics say that humidity will rise. so in most cases, humidity will be a little higher in the top of your cabinet. Sometimes the bottom will be more humid, and that would be more the result of poor air circulation in your cabinet. Either way, circulation fans will be a big help. We added a timer into the Avallo Accumonitor that runs the circulation fans for 1 minute every hour. I have noticed the difference in my cabinets, and have been getting positive feedback from our customers. FANS WORK.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You know, I know what the laws of physics state...but I've yet to see it. I have my beads spread all throughout my wine cooler, with very few towards the bottom, and darned if it isn't more humid at the bottom than at the top.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
yeah, i know what you mean. I have experienced both situations. no need to worry about it, fans fix the problem.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
RonC said:
the laws of physics say that humidity will rise. so in most cases, humidity will be a little higher in the top of your cabinet. Sometimes the bottom will be more humid, and that would be more the result of poor air circulation in your cabinet. Either way, circulation fans will be a big help. We added a timer into the Avallo Accumonitor that runs the circulation fans for 1 minute every hour. I have noticed the difference in my cabinets, and have been getting positive feedback from our customers. FANS WORK.
I remember seeing a very large discussion on this topic and it got pretty heated. I think it was in another site but I'll have to put it on here.

My question is...with my 1' high humidor that I'm getting from tubaman should I worry about circulation at all or since it has 7 drawers should I just put beads in each of the drawers and that should do me?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you wont need fans. put one of vipers tubes, or one of my Bovedas in each drawer. If you dont mind spending the $, use both. Prometheus sells similar humis, and they use a humidifier in each drawer. The Bovedas and beads will work better than the Prometheus system.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dude, you said it was only a foot tall, then don't worry. If you must worry just put some beads up top as well as in the bottom and forget it.