What's new

Leaf long term storage

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Morning all,

I'm really looking into giving this a go, and have several questions, which are being answered all over the forum. However, my searching abilities regarding long term storage come up short and only pull results for humi's and sticks. I'm curious about long term storage for leaf? What's the process, how long will it last, etc.

I'd probably start to stock up on a few orders of leaf for a little while before rolling my first. I know they have kits, so I may consider that route, but I have a feeling I'm going to get balls deep into this, and be pissed off that I bought a kit. Was like when I bought a motorcycle. Everyone told me to buy something small to start out with, and all my biker buddies told me to buy what I want when I first start, because I'll have to sell the bitch bike, and I'll be pissed off that I didnt buy what I wanted to at first.

Long story short, what's needed for me to stock up a bit on leaf? What would ya'll suggest I grab to setup properly? I'm looking at going at this slow and steady. I'm not going to buy a forest of leaf just to try this out, but I'm going to prepare for it. I mean, who couldnt use a big ass cooler, or storage tub, or giant cutting board? I also like pizza, so pizza cutters aint no thang!

Suggestions from you non noobish rollers, please?

Thanks guys!
-Chrisso

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Morning all,

I'm really looking into giving this a go, and have several questions, which are being answered all over the forum. However, my searching abilities regarding long term storage come up short and only pull results for humi's and sticks. I'm curious about long term storage for leaf? What's the process, how long will it last, etc.

I'd probably start to stock up on a few orders of leaf for a little while before rolling my first. I know they have kits, so I may consider that route, but I have a feeling I'm going to get balls deep into this, and be pissed off that I bought a kit. Was like when I bought a motorcycle. Everyone told me to buy something small to start out with, and all my biker buddies told me to buy what I want when I first start, because I'll have to sell the bitch bike, and I'll be pissed off that I didnt buy what I wanted to at first.

Long story short, what's needed for me to stock up a bit on leaf? What would ya'll suggest I grab to setup properly? I'm looking at going at this slow and steady. I'm not going to buy a forest of leaf just to try this out, but I'm going to prepare for it. I mean, who couldnt use a big ass cooler, or storage tub, or giant cutting board? I also like pizza, so pizza cutters aint no thang!

Suggestions from you non noobish rollers, please?

Thanks guys!
-Chrisso
for leaf here's my suggestion. It's a place to start. You'll learn what leaf you don't like.
Nicaragua Habano Seco
Corojo 99 viso
Dominican ligero
Binder/wrapper you can get Ecuadoran binder where most of it is wrapper grade.

This is a good place to start with leaf. I'd probably also add in some Brazilian Mata Fina too while you're ordering.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@Chrisso , you can order 1/4lb samples from Leaf Only to check out some variety you may be interested in.
Also, it seems @webmost may have some ideas on long term storage...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Leaves will keep intact for years in the tough vacuum packed & heat sealed vapor proof bags that WholeLeafTobacco sends their leaf in. Got some here I can show you, three years old, still flexible and in new condition in sealed bags. Once you cut a bag open, roll the top and clip it. Gonna set it aside for a while, tape it.

The flimsy bags LeafOnly uses will keep the stuff just about long enough to get it to you. Make sure they didn't over-spritz your leaf before they sent it to you; cause it'll get funky if they did. So take it out & dry it a bit if they did. Stick those LeafOnly bags in a coolidor right away.

Here's my set-up:

I have two Coleman stackers for ready supply. One holds filler & the other holds wrapper & binder. Filler is kept about 60 to 65 % humidibbidditty. Wrapper at 75 to 80 % humidibbidditty. These are the containers I would dip into now, to grab a fistfull and roll, no prep, always ready.

I have a 40 qt coolidor holding opened bags of filler, and a 48 quart holding opened bags of wrapper and binder. That's just because the wrapper leaves are too long for a smaller coolidor.

Last, there's a tub holding unopened WholeLeafTobacco bags. That's cause I stocked up against the inevitable Tobaccolypse, when the nanny state decides we are too stupid to go free.

Big Tupperware containers will not hold as seal. Don't care what they say at the container store. Don't care what kind of clasps they have on the ends of 'em. Don't even care what someone else uses here and claims works cause the container store said so. Coolidors are the only way to go period. You prolly have one or two in the shed already. Clean 'em out & use 'em.

But pay no attention to me cause I'm a leaf hoarder. All's I can say is when the pansy puritan powers of pussification decide to stop us all for our own good, I'll have enough leaf to last till I die...

Welcome to the menagerie. Let's see some pics of your rolls, once you make some. Pizza cutters are unhandy, can be made to work, tho; but an ulu works just as good as a chavetta or better. A WLT beginner kit is a cheap experiment for thirty bucks, to know if you are gonna go whole hog, without blowing a bundle. After that, you will want to take a stab at blending. Take a look at my vid made specifically for raw 1st time experimenting beginners, to get an idea what bare bones you need to get going. It's here:
Enjoy your smokes.

Our brother Derek the Rock Star just got started a few weeks ago. Sent me an outrageous bomb of Rock Star Rolls today. Lookie this sweetness:

Crazy good for first tries. And here's the thing: Yum.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Davis, you have leaf acquisition disorder. No question!
A 12 step program won't even help you.
You're constitutionally not capable of forgoing buying more leaf for your stash. You make me envious! :)

After having said that, I'm getting to the same point. One cannot have enough leaf on hand. So ignore what I wrote above. LOL
:cigar:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Davis, you have leaf acquisition disorder. No question!
A 12 step program won't even help you.
You're constitutionally not capable of forgoing buying more leaf for your stash. You make me envious! :)

After having said that, I'm getting to the same point. One cannot have enough leaf on hand. So ignore what I wrote above. LOL
:cigar:
The sad fact is, when the inevitable tobaccolypse clamps down, we will cease to look like fools, you and me.