What's new

Leaf orientation in the bunch.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I was asking about why cigars are capped in the "Cigars" section and I learned something new to me.
I was told that when rolling cigars, leaves are placed in the cigar facing the same direction. The tobacco at the foot is mostly comprised of the tips or outermost end of the leaf. This area is where the tobacco has the richest flavor, which makes sense that the less desirable tobacco ends up in the head where one stops smoking the cigar.
I've read a lot about rolling but I never came across this detail. I know that I don't pay attention to leaf orientation when bunching. Am I the only one doing it wrong?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe. there are subtleties in a leafs quadrants that will lend to characteristics of some things. for that reason, blenders have been known to use only certain parts of a leaf for a cigar.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Early on in my foray into rolling I was able to have a conversation with Nick Melillo (formerly with Drew Estate and now owner of Foundation Cigars). His very first piece of advice was to make sure leaves all face the same way and the tips point to the foot. My OCD would have had me have them all face the same direction but I don't know if I would have made sure the tips point to the foot.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tips go to the foot, but sometimes when you're laying in the torn off tails they might go the opposite direction, depending on either bunch structural/burn needs or blending decisions. E.g. if your foot seems fine but your head feels light you'd flip the torn-off tails and lay the thicker part in near the head.

The idea that the tips always taste best is easily disproven, but the tails tasting worst is also easily proven. So the tip ends go toward the foot, and then are cut back closer to the sweet spot of the leaf when you trim to length.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The idea that the tips always taste best is easily disproven, but the tails tasting worst is also easily proven. So the tip ends go toward the foot, and then are cut back closer to the sweet spot of the leaf when you trim to length.
So then why wouldn't you then put the tails towards the foot? You could cut them off when trimming to size eliminating them from the cigar altogether and keeping the tips in to be smoked when nubbed.