What's new

Leaf Prep

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Just felt like documenting a bit of my work with the new leaf i get to try. Plus, the newbies can see what goes into making leaf "workable and the vets can make fun of my process. I'll be adding occasional posts with other prep work, this is just tonight's labor.

Candela wrapper: opened the bag up, grabbed a hand, a bit dry... spritz the rest and sealed them back up. The single hand, i opened up every leaf, misting each once, and lightly stretched into a stack. Gorgeous leaf btw! Placed in 2.5 gal ziplock.

Cibao valley criollo ligero: this had a fantastic smell, like walking into a cigar lounge. Big leaves. Separated each leaf and stacked flat, ready to use. Lots of sand on them lol.

Cibao valley vuelta abajo habano ligero: This was bone dry! Needed some tender care separating, spritzing every other leaf. Smaller leaves than the criollo. Little bits and pieces fell everywhere. Interesting smell, burned a bit to see if the aroma changed. The burn seems better, but very flame retardant.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's actually really easy to work with too, if you find the bits that aren't destroyed... what would you say your percentage wrapper grade is?

I set it aside while trying to find a new blend. I haven't gone through it yet, just pulled a couple to try. It is rather fragile and not in ideal shape...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's actually really easy to work with too, if you find the bits that aren't destroyed... what would you say your percentage wrapper grade is?

For what it's worth, I got 100% yield out of Jorge's "American yellow," i.e. USA CT Shade. Maybe 80% out of Ecuador yellow. I got ~17% yield out of the FX Shade, and that's with a lot of patch jobs and judicial cutting. I got a high yield out of WLT Ecuador CT Shade, which, ironically, he stopped carrying because of the shitty quality.... If I were to buy more "CTS" someday I'd probably ask Jorge whether he has any of the Ecuador yellow left, despite the lower yellow. I like that it's sort of more neutral thing, less fruity/creamy, than the American yellow. All of it is super giant, stretchy, etc. At least it was a few years ago.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
For what it's worth, I got 100% yield out of Jorge's "American yellow," i.e. USA CT Shade. Maybe 80% out of Ecuador yellow. I got ~17% yield out of the FX Shade, and that's with a lot of patch jobs and judicial cutting. I got a high yield out of WLT Ecuador CT Shade, which, ironically, he stopped carrying because of the shitty quality.... If I were to buy more "CTS" someday I'd probably ask Jorge whether he has any of the Ecuador yellow left, despite the lower yellow. I like that it's sort of more neutral thing, less fruity/creamy, than the American yellow. All of it is super giant, stretchy, etc. At least it was a few years ago.
I only went through about a third of mine, but from what I've seen it's like 50-60% wrapper. Just curious if that's usually for WLT wrapper since i really only use Ecuador habano viso lately and that's nearly 100% (hell the binder grade is 50-75%)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Don said the cheaper CT had issues and that's why it was cheaper. I don't roll a lot of CT but they typical stuff he has is awesome. Just a bit pricy.

I have been using the LO Mex SA. So far I am loving it. Also using the Ec seco wrapper as well. I may ne mistaken but it seems like a H2k.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Oh and this candela is pretty easy to use, really sticky leaf though

It's not so sticky if you don't case it so high. It still rolls and stretches good at a lower than normal case for wrapper. It is easy to get past that point and get to the sticky stage though. Nice work buddy!