What's new

Leaky Humi

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
ok, so I'm growing a little concerned. I've got my humi set up nicely. 65% heartfelt beads (in both the top and bottom layer of the box) and a digital hygro

the seal is good (I feel the lid close snuggly along the side when I close the box), but my problem is that whenever I go for a smoke (2-3 times a week), I notice the humidity only gets to around 62%...tops.

what the hell is wrong...is my humidor shot? I'm hoping it;s just the weather lately (been REAL cold and dry here lately) and I find myself refilling my beads like every other week.

My tupperdor also has beads, which are nice and stable...what the hell is going on...are my smokes gonners???:dunno: :help: PLEASE!!!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Mine is acting the same and I have been refilling with water as often as you. I think the air is much drier in winter (in the NE) which is why you have to replenish so often.

When I salt-tested my hygro it was reading 72%, so I figured it was off 3%. I consistently get readings from 61-64%.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It's just the dry air. My cooler stays solid for a month or so without the CO+ running but during the winter, it's constantly on and off.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was going to say; when the Santa Ana winds blow here and the humidity drops to nothing I have to add water all the time. Because its warm I always think about it. When I lived in Michigan same problem in the winter.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
glad to know I should be ok...Greg, to answer your question, I calibrated using a boveda kit when I installed it (about 3 months ago). It is a calibrating one...so I know it was spot on when I put it in...is it time to re-test it already?

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ditto with what just about everyone else said. the last week has been pretty chilly here with highs only in the teens to low 20's and very dry. ive just about had to wet my beads every other day or so.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Go ahead and re-calibrate just to be sure, but this isn't anything to get too worried about. I know quite a few people who keep their smokes that low all the time (60-ish&#37;). Sounds like dry air affecting everything.

Two things to do to be sure:
Run the flashlight test. Turn on a flashlight and put it into the humi. Close the lid. Turn off all lights. See any light? You have a seal problem. Otherwise, you are good. This assumes it's not a glass top.

Recalibrate your hygro just to be sure it is spot on.

Last but not least, if your smokes are smoking well, sit back and relax. :thumbsup:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
thanks for the info guys...i'll go ahead and re-test my hygro

I've still got the boveda kit...it sais on the package it's good for up to six months after opening...do you think this is till good, or should I go ahead with the salt test?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if the humidipak has a jelly like feel to it, that means it has enough water in in for the calibration. if its hard, that means it is finished.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Why not do both just for the experience?

Believe me though, this is just a stage....you'll get over it and will learn to trust your senses for the feel and the taste of your cigars.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
My cabinet has been at 62&#37; for a few weeks and I am a happy camper. :dunno:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
As Jason stated, many shoot for that range. I start to worry when I get above 65&#37;.