What's new

Learned my lesson the hard way: cash.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I've never been a cash person. It's always been my Debit Card. Recently, I picked up an actual Credit Card so I could develop a Credit Score. I basically pay my phone bill and not much else with it... very low limit.

On September 27th, my bank called to inform me my DC was used during the Home Depot compromised security span. They asked me to check my statements and get back to them. I did, noticed nothing suspicious, and CLEARLY declined their offer to cancel my DC and have a new one sent. They called me back later that day to inform me they had cancelled it anyways, against my permission, and were issuing a new one. They claimed 7-10 days. The up side was they only cancelled its ability to be run as a Credit card, and left the Debit line open.

Since then, I've been using it - like I always do - where I can. Places that don't let you enter a PIN, I opted to use my CC. I knew I would approach my limit, but I've been using it sparingly and with the knowledge that my new Debit Card was arriving any day.

Along comes today:

I am buying groceries and attempt to check out. My Debit Card is declined, over and over again. I then try my Credit Card... also declined.
My bank had pulled my Debit abilities, again without my permission, and without informing me ahead of time.
My Credit Card is so close to its limit, that even removing a few items wouldn't have mattered.

So my cards are both D-E-A-D dead. No debit, no credit, can't hit the ATM. I go to work before my bank opens, and come home well after they close: no withdrawals.

Really wish I had listened to all those times my parents told me to keep an "emergency stash" of cash at home.

Guys, don't be me. Regardless of your budget, a series of unfortunate events can and will lock up your funds. Get cash... carry it, stash it, do something. If you don't, you can be like me... waiting for the mail man to drop off your new card - whenever that is - so you can do ANYTHING.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like time for a new bank.
Although they may be watching your back 7-10 days is too long. Last time I changed mine over a suspicious risk they overnighted the new one.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Although they may be watching your back 7-10 days is too long. Last time I changed mine over a suspicious risk they overnighted the new one.
^This. I had a credit card compromised one time and the company got me a new card in 18 hours.

I don't really use a debit card for anything (other than the ATM occasionally), but I know there are a couple banks that can actually print debit cards from a branch (doesn't do you much good if you're at work the whole time they are open, but still..)

Either way, sorry to hear about your hassle. Hopefully the new card arrives soon. It might also be worth a call to your credit card company. I called mine a month or so after I got the card and they gave me a substantial increase in credit limit (just make sure to use it wisely). It usually only takes a call to the card company to get your credit limit increased. At least in my experience.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It usually only takes a call to the card company to get your credit limit increased. At least in my experience.
Good to know. That very well may be my next option.

And yes, seeking a new bank currently. Albeit, the interest rates I get on my Savings Account at my current one is very hard to walk away from. After this fiasco, seems totally worth it.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That sucks brotha. I had to change my debit card a few weeks ago. I called them (Citi Bank) up and they told me 7-10 days. I asked them if it was possible for it to be expedited. They said yes, but with a fee. I said no problem and had the card the next business day.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Agreed. If you can join, USAA is a good bank. The only one I have had that I like and they will overnight you a card no problem.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Of there's a TD bank near you, they can do Debit cards on the spot in the branch, are open 7 days a week, open earlier than other banks, and stay open late (9pm some days/locations)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our cards were compromised with the Target breach.. The bank called us and told us the cards are being cancelled to protect us(rather be safe than sorry) and that they new cards would be there the next day.. And they were... Shipped overnight with signature required and they even offered to let us choose where the cards was sent(work, parents house etc) so that someone one be there to sign for them so we wouldn't have to play the door tag game... Keep the saving account for the great interest rates and get a new bank for the rest... They work for you, not the other way round... Sorry to hear about your troubles man!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
It usually only takes a call to the card company to get your credit limit increased. At least in my experience.
Good to know. That very well may be my next option.

And yes, seeking a new bank currently. Albeit, the interest rates I get on my Savings Account at my current one is very hard to walk away from. After this fiasco, seems totally worth it.
I always keep accounts at at least two different banks for this among other reasons. Eggs in one basket and all that...

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
To the "emergency cash" idea...DO THIS. $1000 in small bills; $20 bills and under.

In today's world, cyber attack is arguably the most realistic terrorist threat there is. And beyond that, with various viruses and possible pandemics as well as the potential for a real, tangible terrorist events, there are numerous ways beyond a financial market meltdown that can result in your town being shut down. When your town or city is shut down, the banks aren't open. When the banks aren't open, the ATMs get ransacked and are quickly emptied. Where are YOU going to get money to buy whatever is left in the stores that are open?

In the event that your area gets shut down from being quarantined, or some local terror event/threat, or even an extended loss of power from a weather event, you're going to need cash to get whatever you may need. life will be much easier if you've already got that cash.

Think Boston during the marathon bombings. Think Scranton, Pennsylvania as the manhunt for the cop killing survivalist dude drags on. Think Winter ice storms that hit the Southern states this year.

Don't be one of the lemmings that gets caught with their pants down.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sorry dude. My sister's credit card is on my account. Someone got ahold of her ish and started using it. When I had it cancelled, AMEX overnighted the CC the next day to her so she would have it. There are some good banks out there.

My dad always taught me to have an emergency $100 around. You just never know

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I keep a card with a separate bank just in case something should happen. Lots of great banks out there- chase can make a debit card for you in person at the bank- Charles Schwab bank checking accounts have a debit card that pays ANY atm fee for any atm you use and the checking account is an account that has interest. After reading this maybe some cash should be kept around. I usually avoid the stuff because it can burn or be dropped and lost with no recourse but maybe looking into some storage might be wise just to be prepared for anything.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yeah small med and large CC. rarely use the DC. if the dc is compromised that's "real" money and can be a pain to rectify and an inconvenience while in limbo. 1500 limit cc for regular activities, if it gets compromised no inconvenience waiting for the investigation and a limit to what can be stolen. The med and large cc are different banks in case one is compromised. used solely for the size of purchase but again doesn't affect the "real" money in your account if lost or stolen. And then always some cash on hand.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
damn that sucks bro ... USAA and Navy Fed are great banks if you have the access to it..they send new cards no problem just like rfraser said above.. if not I always have two banks one I use to swipe and one i use to save.. for this reason