What's new

Less "Discussed" Brands

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Happy Saturday gang,

Had a question I wanted to put into the Habanos ether here...

There are a lot of brands that get discussed frequently on this board; RyJ, HU, Cohiba, etc. However, I never read people raving or see many purchases regarding some other brands. Cuaba, Fonseca, & Sancho Panza seem like they're pretty rarely discussed here. Also, don't see too much regarding Trinidad or certain SCdlH vitolas. Why aren't these discussed as much? Is Sancho Panza non plus just no good, or just not as sexy as a box of Siglo I?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might have something to do with some of those brands are hard to find due to low production. The main brands get the lions share of the good crop and the others get what ever is left over. In the 4 or 5 small shops i was in while in cuba easily 98% were the big brands.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
These are well discussed and appreciated only after people get over the glitter surrounding the big names.Once you have bought and enjoyed them,you will find they represent value,and are satisfying to hand out and watch peoples' eyes light up and say"is this Cuban?"
Then there are a few less mentioned marcas that are really not worth discussing...........
" Is Sancho Panza non plus just no good, or just not as sexy as a box of Siglo I?"
I really like the Non Plus,one of the most individual Cubans,unlike any of the others.Siglo I takes a long time to mature and cost too much,but has lots of "Bling".............I don't do "bling"

Last edited:

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
My favorite daily smoke lately has been the Jose Piedra cremas. (And by daily I mean once in the last 2 weeks...stupid sinuses)
That being said, they're tasty little sticks and can be had for around a buck a piece if you time it right.
i smoked one of these on the course last week and was surprised considering i got 15 for like $30

I too have recently tried a ERDM and was impressed. Will be buying some in nearer than later future.

I think it is just the lower production that leads to less discussion. SOme of the fancy names too im sure. I will say ive only had a few things out of cuba that i have NOT enjoyed.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't think it's due to lack of production. I think people start with the big names then either stay where they are comfortable or venture out. I personally have never ventured out, only received many of these lesser knowns as gifts.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love the small Fonsecas. Used to pick up 5-pack boxes for about $7 in Spain and Germany.

There are also even more under-the-radar Cubans that only the locals smoke, like El Credito which sell for like 5 cents. Johnny-O has been known to send them out as a sort of gag gift to his customers. I have one resting.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love me some Trinidad!
Personally, I believe that Trinidad is the most consistent yet underrated CC. IMO the "Robusto T" (of course with my luck no longer made) is the best Robusto , "Fundadores" the best Long Panatela and the "Reyes" the best Petite Corona of any Cuban brand. This is in terms of consistency in flavor profile, draw and burn over the years. My opinion with respect to the smaller brands such as Sancho Panza, is that Habanos S.A. uses its worldwide marketing to move the big names thus cannibalizing sales of the small brands. It also doesn't help that the smaller brands have fewer choices within the brand itself such as Fonseca with four, Cuaba five and Sancho Panza three currently on the market.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The ones I had weren't a cc I cant quite remember what they were but I believe they were box pressed. They were awsome though! I'd love to compare it to the cc version sometime

Last edited:

Brazos Hunter

The man, the myth, the legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To the OP, I feel you. I have several boxes of the less talked about brands and they are my go-to's. I don't try to pretend to know it all about CC's by far but what I do know is many become phenomenal with a few years age. I will try and post up more on my "off brands".

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Thanks for all yall's input, might try to go a different route with my next box!
Best to get a sampler. As always smoke what you like. Everyone has different tastes. I like tomatoes, wife hates them with a passion. Nacho likes Non Plus, to me it tastes like smoking a wet stale potato chip (the most unique flavor of any habano). Out of those you mentioned I have sampled all of them, don't like any except Trinidad and I love a good Trinidad. Could be you don't hear much talk on these because there are only a few vitolas left in the lineup.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Best to get a sampler. As always smoke what you like. Everyone has different tastes. I like tomatoes, wife hates them with a passion. Nacho likes Non Plus, to me it tastes like smoking a wet stale potato chip (the most unique flavor of any habano). Out of those you mentioned I have sampled all of them, don't like any except Trinidad and I love a good Trinidad. Could be you don't hear much talk on these because there are only a few vitolas left in the lineup.
Yeah, I was looking at some stuff online, might split some things shortly. Realized that I'd much rather have 4 Fivers of different cc's then a box of Las Calaveras, so funds are getting set up to order more.

I've had one Reyes, from what I can remember I enjoyed it. It was when I first started smoking though, traded for it on the CA forums.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Juan Lopez and Vegas Robaina might be the most underrated cigars off the island. When they're in their zone, they're fantastic. ScdlH and Por Larranaga are also under appreciated. I'd put all four of those brands over Monte.

I hear Diplomaticos are also very good but I've yet to have one.