What's new

Lesson Learned

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wow, what a lesson. Being your basic cheap bastard I've been smoking some JR Alternatives (Cohiba robusto) I picked up a couple of weeks ago when I was in North Carolina and stopped by JR's. I've had to throw several away, and those I managed to smoke were not all that good (I'm being nice here). But that's what I expected for the price.

Tonight I grabbed a Cuesto 18 Natural and fired it up. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. A real cigar, with fantastic flavor and great ash. All in all a very pleasant experience.

I read last night (on BlowinSmoke) someone posted that they never smoke anything that costs less than $3 a stick. I see why. I think it's back to my favorite tabacconist tomorrow for more 18 (both natural and maduro). I really like the Cusano line, even their bundled smokes are pretty good, especially the P1.

Mike
Tampa

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes that is a lesson learned, however, I have several "cheap" brands that make a nice daily smoke, or while working in the yard or when I just don't have the time to sit back and relax. Those are the JR Alts. I have tried the one you mentioned above and it is a very harsh smoke.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I like the JR cabinets. Never had an alternative though. I don't smoke enough to justify the cheap price

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey guys, help the newbie, habanos for less than $4. I know the guys on BlowinSmoke all seem to have sources for cuban cigars, but they ain't sharin with the new guy. I've seen sites on the Internet for alleged cubans, but I'd be afraid to try them -- too many rip offs. Are your $4 habanos just cuban-like, or are they the real thing>

Thanks for all the info, this cigar stuff is fun, especially when one enjoys a good cigar.

Mike

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only smoke $9.70 and up a stick. Then again I only smoke once or twice a week.

$4 habanos? Machine made?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Todd, you are a bad influence! Leave the poor newbs alone, their credit cards will never be the same! :wink:

All taste is subjective of course, but Fonsecas aren't bad. Tom mentioned the JR Ultimate Cabs and those aren't bad. In fact, there are some long time smokers that swear by them. Never heard much about the Alts. Honestly, there are too many NCs that are affordable (by the box) to be messing with too many of the "cheapos".

I mean, here are some choices from Cheapercigars.com just for examples:
Rocky Patel Vintage 92 PC $88 for 20 cigars.
CAO Brazilia Piranha (4.5x46) $79 for 25 cigars (all sizes except anaconda under $100/box)
Torano Signature Robusto $76 for 25 cigars (and one HELL of a cigar)
RP Edge Torpedo Maduro $89 for 25 cigars
LGC Serie "R" #4 maduro $84 for 24 cigars

And it took me 5 minutes to find the source I used to use for NC cigars it's been so long since I've bought any. The above are just a few that I enjoyed (hell, I still keep a few signatures around) and are fairly well known. You've got multiple, sub $4 sticks when bought by the box above.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's tough to find a good (quality, flavor and construction) cigar for less than $3. HOWEVER, there are tons of great cigars between $3 and $6 per stick.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Kadettes for the price are a very good value. They still have that habano spice and you can easily find them aged a few years. Aged habanos for 3.50-4 bucks a smoke is a good deal in my book. Are they knock your socks off good? Nope, but IMHO MUCH better than smoking 4 dollar NC's.