What's new

Letter from the state...

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Wow, and in MN too, with the taxes being one of the highest. Something about that whole thing does not seem right.

I have to weigh in with everyone else. Call CRA first, then call the state.

In Michigan I have only really heard of big spenders getting hit with this, so if you have spent something like 10k online you may get a tax attorney involved as that would mean 7k or so in back taxes, but you are a long way from there.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know that Ohio has a similar law on the books. They went after cigarette buyers a few years back. People who had begun buying all there cigarettes online were hit with tax bills sometimes in the thousands. I had not heard of them going after small purchases like a box of cigars.

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Whats is this country coming to? They are going to nickel and dime us to death. I talk to my reps almost every session about these taxes, 80% of the time they don't even read the damn bills...Lazy bastards. :(

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
*Not to threaad jack* But is anyone knows how much it costs to be a CRA member if anything, please shoot me a PM.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
wonder if they r looking for me, for the 9 years I lived in northern MN, never bought from any retailer from MN, all were online .......mmmmmmmmm thanks for the heads up

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they know if you were buying cigars---or a humidor, shirts, lighters, etc?

-Chip-

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The state of California subpeonas and and receives UPS records from a number of MAJOR online cigar retailers. CA law clearly states that you are taxed on all purchases whether in or out of the state. Same thing has happened in MA. People have received major bills from the state including penalties for late payment on tax. The more the states need money, the closer they are going to look at this.

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Thanks all for your comments. Honestly, I'm still in a little bit of shock and haven't decided what to do yet...if anything...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Screw them. Tell them come and take it from you or better yet, go to court! The first hour of their attorney will negate the tax!:yes:

No, really, I would contact a local attorney and ask for advice!

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I try to put on all my online purchases "This is a private transaction between 2 parties and as such you cannot turn records over to any 3rd party. Shipping my order constitutes that you agree to this contract." Not sure if it will hold but at least if I get dinged with something I have an argument.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I believe that Benzo is correct. No amount owed doesn't sound like it is coming from the state. Those guys always know what you owe them. First step is give a call get more info.