What's new

Liga price increase?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
JD, you didn't know about the price increase?
lol, I could be wrong, but from what I see, JD knows what we want, and pushes Steve to the limits to accommodate all of us fanboys, and then Steve has the unenviable task of making that happen while still making the business work as a business!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Price Increase on Liga Privada:

$0.50 Wholesale per cigar. This should equate to $1 retail per stick, but could equate to more depending on how the retailer addresses the tax issues. Each retailer deals with taxes in different ways. I have no opinion on which tax style is better or worse.

I am sorry to say that the Price Increase is true. I did know about it before the IPCPR, but wasn't sure this morning if it was $.50 per stick or $1 per stick wholesale. Turned out to be 50 Cents.

Figured I wouldn't run from disclosing the info myself right here on the board.

Best,
JD

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That just means more under crowns and EF MUWATs for me...which is fine by me I have trouble even finding ligas online half of the time anyhow...Man your a standup guy and thanks it feels better coming from you in my opinion!

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Bummer. Making pricey cigars even more pricey. I respect the DE guys and cleary they have the right to do whatever and they know what they are doing...its just a bummer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here in the overtaxed republik of maryland, the local B&M has T52's @$10.85 a stick and Liga 9's @$13.85 a stick. Are these priced right?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
It's odd how none of us has a problem just handing a $10+ cigar to someone, many times a stranger, for them to enjoy yet we deny ourselves the same enjoyment for a buck more. Do that twice and you've got the difference in price of a box of LP. Not saying you shouldn't be generous and share, but maybe sometimes we need to share with ourselves as well.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
It's odd how none of us has a problem just handing a $10+ cigar to someone, many times a stranger, for them to enjoy yet we deny ourselves the same enjoyment for a buck more. Do that twice and you've got the difference in price of a box of LP. Not saying you shouldn't be generous and share, but maybe sometimes we need to share with ourselves as well.
I think you're missing (at least my) point. I never said I don't pay $10+ for a cigar, it has nothing to do with a specific price point being too spendy. I said, for me they've crossed the wrong side of the the price<value equation. This is all a matter of opinion and personal taste and I respect that. My intent here was not to start a Liga haters/fanboys war.

I do however find it interesting that some of the larger sticks appear to have jumped $2 on a $0.50 wholesale increase.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Maybe I can actually buy a box of Dirty Rats as this price increase will filter out some buyers :smile:

I'm not as frequent of a smoker as most here. Work and life gets in the way of that! I do know when I reach for a cigar it will be a premium cigar as that 2 hours of pure pleasure is a rarity. A $1-2/stick increase won't bother me, nor deter me from reaching for an LP.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm there was a price increase. We received the notification back in July I believe. It is what it is, certainly hasn't decreased their popularity.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to echo what others have already said:

1) Yes, there was a $0.50 increase per stick wholesale on LP.

2) How this works out in your retail shop depends on the shop and the local taxes.

3) Yes, this makes LP an expensive cigar to purchase. It always has been and always will be.

4) JD was aware of the increase, but ultimately it is my responsibility to ensure we are profitable and can buy the materials we need to make LP and continue to operate the factory. This means making unpopular decisions.

5) In a perfect world, things would stop costing more so we wouldn't have to raise prices, but that is not the world we live in.

As our costs go up, prices will go up. Period... it is the only way to make the product consistent.

We are not making more profit on these, we are just getting back to the original margin at the manufacturing end of the equation.

Yes, it is likely to impact sales, but in the case of LP it is better to sell less and maintain the standard.

Some folks will rail against us for this and for that we will take our lumps, but in all honesty you should take your angst out on me, because JD would sell the cigars for below cost if he had his druthers.

BR,

Steve Saka
CEO, Drew Estate

ps: And yes, the hope is that Papa Fritas will help us cash recover so we can delay or at least reduce any future price increases.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't normally bump such old threads, but I caught some t52 belicosos at my local b&m and they were $15. I was pretty sad, lol. Last year I bought ffps at $15/stick!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I don't normally bump such old threads, but I caught some t52 belicosos at my local b&m and they were $15. I was pretty sad, lol. Last year I bought ffps at $15/stick!
I think they are over-charging. The price increase isn't that big on DE's end, the shop is probably taking the opportunity to charge more and blame it on the price increase.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think they are over-charging. The price increase isn't that big on DE's end, the shop is probably taking the opportunity to charge more and blame it on the price increase.
That may be the case, but it was Holt's and I've never seen them charge more than MSRP for anything, and they routinely have Opus, Anejo, and have plenty of other HTF come through.