What's new

Liga Privada L-40 (Meatcake's Take: a Meme/Verbal Review)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello all,

Welcome everyone to Meatcake's Take! Today I will be reviewing the Ever Elusive.....Liga Privada Unico L-40. With it's long slender Unicorn Horn look, it truly is a Unico!

Today I will be doing a Meme-Verbal Review which is a Meme review and a Verbal Review. Hope you like it!

Liga Privada L-40: The Meme Review (now with more kittens!!)

Size: 7 x 40 (Lancero)
Wrapper: Connecticut Stalk Cut Habano
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium-Full

1st Third:

2nd Third:

Last Third:

Liga Privada L-40 Verbal Review: (now with more cow bell...ok not really...)

Size: 7 x 40 (Lancero)
Wrapper: Connecticut Stalk Cut Habano
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium-Full

Pre-Light:

The L-40 is a beautiful cigar with its oily exterior, gorgeous color and the always killer band. The feel of it is firm with a slight soft spot in the middle, but nothing I think I will have to worry about.
This is probably only one of a few times in my LIFE that I really had to think before I cut the cigar and commited to smoking it. Was I ready for this? Was I ready to try such a unique cigar? Was my Palate ready? Would I appreciate it? Would I be able to get more if I love it? Too many questions....one answer! CUT...and SMOKE!
After a nice cut, the cold draw brings a sweet tobacco flavor with hints of vanilla and cocoa. I smoked this bad boy outdoors, with no drink, on a cloudy/coldish day with no wind.

Smoke time:
Start: 11:45am
Finish: 1:35pm

1st Third:

Right off the bat I am greeted with a slight blast of pepper but more than that, I get a taste I have yet to taste in a cigar.....my first ever...RAISIN flavor. A nice surprise indeed especially when coupled with the light cocoa and spice. The draw is slightly tight but I power through it, taking smallish puffs and waiting the requisite minute between puffs.
The burn line is insanely sharp and right at the end of the first third, the draw opens up and is now PERFECT! I need to say this again...RAISIN!!! Either my palate is finally developing into a well tuned machine, or this cigar is just freaking awesome. I think it might be both. Either way, I wanted to poor milk on it and call it breakfast...but I didn't...because that would be stupid.

Retrohale:
Very little spice with those hints of Raisin and cocoa.

2nd Third:

This is quickly becoming my favorite Liga Privada. The spice kicks in a bit on the 2nd third, bring more pepper into the mix. The cocoa has kicked up and notes of coffee are dancing around on my palate as well...like little pixies at play on a cool winter day. YES PIXIES DAMMIT!!!
Right at the end of the 2nd Third, Leather slithers onto the palate and joins the coffee and chocolate party. The raisin flavor takes a back seat but the new flavors are pretty darn good together too!
So lets see, raisin, spice, cocoa, coffee...this cigar is like a whole days worth of meals in one! Its like the that crazy gum from Willy Wonka!!! I am hoping I don't turn into a giant blueberry at the end of this thing!!! Even if I do, I am fine with that as long as I get to smoke another one of these.

Retrohale:
Woot! The raisin is still present on the retrohale, as are coffee and more spice. Pepper in nature but not overly peppery.

Last Third:

Leather and spice take over most of the flavor profile with the raisin pretty much out of the picture at this point. I have been nursing this cigar for darn near two hours now and I still can't get enough of it. I have always heard that you need to take your time with a Lancero so that it doesn't get a bitter or burned taste. Looks like that theory is sound because this never tastes bitter, or burned. Instead it is sweet and spicy on the palate with plenty of flavor to keep you going. The burn line is still holding strong and the ash seems to stick around for an inch at a time as long as I don't bump it.
This cigar is truly magical, on a level beyond Doug Henning or even that other douchy guy that married that hot model chick.

Retrohale:
Cocoa and coffee with a spicy overtone. Just enough spice to keep it interesting, but never to the point where it stings the nostrils.

Final Thoughts:

I nubbed this sucker to the point of no return (well past where my last picture showed) and enjoyed ever darn minute of it. The sucky part is I only have one of these left and I can pretty easily say, so far, this is my favorite Liga Privada cigar. A bold statement to some I am sure, but to me, the profile just hit me right and If I could, I would make a cereal out of this and eat it for breakfast! Fantastic taste, great construction, smoke as thick as a smoke stack and a finish on the palate like candied raisins dipped in chocolate. If ANYONE can find a box of these they are willing to let go. I would be glad to buy one!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think your reviews are the bee's knees......I love the meme thing....and your writing style makes me smile.....I want the pixies to dance on my palate

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Liga Accounts in my area got a box each... then promptly sold out the same day/week. Check with a local that has a legitimate Liga account... they might be able to help you out.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
thanks for the review, man, and once again killer dual format! the verbal half actually sound like half the $#it that runs out of my mouth (god help you), and the third meme photo is PERFECT. bittersweet moment when you finally have to put a killer smoke down and are deeply sad that it is over. aww, all gone. o(

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome review and I agree about this being the best LP cigar (at least of what I've tried so far, looking forward to trying the Ratzilla) The meme version of the review was hilarious!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Another great review! I've often commented that the L40 is my favorite Liga (I do have an obsession with lanceros), but it is very close with the Dirty Rat (and Ratzilla as well probably) and your review reminded me how upset I am that I only have 1 left!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
All I hear is good things about these and yet I can't find them anywhere or late to the punch when someone gets them in...i really need to find a few of these. great review bro!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review! I have had one, and I agree they are a really great lancero,and probably my favorite. Some of the reviews I have read go into saying they feel like this blend just doesn't work in the lancero format, but I disagree, I think its one of the better ligas, and one of the best lancero's I have ever had.