What's new

Liga Privada LP L40” Review

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the review CC. Cool ashtray! I've been eyeballin mine but will probably wait until warmer weather to spark it up.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI...

The lancero blend was one we struggled with for well over a year. It is probably one the most tweaked of all the LP blends to date in its final phase... it was a real challenge to make something that was IMO LP-worthy in this format. What LP-Worthy means, is that I personally love the blend and will smoke it regularly by choice.

That is kind of tough when I am not really much of a lancero fan myself. My issue with lanceros is that they basically come in one of two varieties: Mild or Strong and in both cases, with very little depth. I am not saying I can not appreciate a lancero on occasion, but the LP line has always been about it being a cigar that I would smoke back to back to back - something that I really enjoy.

The LP Lancero blending after about the sixth month kinda broke up into two distinct directions - one being a real peppery blend, the other being a more balance nuanced blend. Ultimately I abandoned the ultra peppery version, not because it was bad, but it was falling into that single note trap I mentioned before and imo it wasn't nearly as good as a Dirty Rat or if I wanted something longer, a Ratzilla... so we began to focus on making it more elegant, balanced with more complexity. Now don't get me wrong the L40 is not a mild cigar, on a strength scale I would put it at a 7 out of 10, but it certainly isn't as peppery as the DR.

Now what it is though is very complex and nuanced, there is a lot going on in this lancero, more than I have experienced in any other. Now I will admit I had to cheat a little bit... instead of it being a 38 ring, it is a 7 x 40 ring - yes that little bit of extra girth afforded me one more tobacco in the recipe. Hence the moniker "L40".

Like all the LP blends, I am never really sure what other people will think. These cigars are blended first to suit me. I imagine some folks are going to be disappointed that it isn't stronger while others are going to be really impressed by the depth of flavor and richness achieved in this difficult vitola. Who knows... everyone will have to judge the L40 for themselves...

Blend details, release date, price, etc. are all to follow. I do know that it will be in the Unico line as the L40 is it own distinct blend created solely for the lancero format.

BR,

Steve
Prez, Drew Estate

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I know I'll love the LP40 b/c i love lanceros, and so far I love everything you love, ie LP line. I cant wait for these! i've said it before, put me down as a pre-order for a box please.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Steve,

As usual, great of you (JP as well) to spend a moment to give us info and insight on your cigars....Thank you.

Look forward to tasting some of these when available.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
sounds very interesting steve. agree that a lancero shouldn't blast your head off, but the best lances out there are full of flavor. really looking forward to putting one of these into the rotation.

Rating - 100%
59   0   2
i as well cant wait to try this,,,, liga have been an all time fav of mine cant wait to see this in regular production i will be having one of these once the weather warms up a bit