What's new

Liga Privada Papas Fritas - Noob Review

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Drew Estate, Liga Privada Unico Series, Papas Fritas (4-1/2 x 44)

Prelight

Packaging is attractive. Pigtail is a nice touch. I like the band on the foot. Dark earthy looking wrapper. Smells like cocoa.

1st 3rd

Predominantly spice right off the bat. No surprise here. Pretty signature Liga stuff. Black pepper and cocoa with some underlying leather notes. I really like the deep/rich earthiness that this little smoke exhibits.

2nd 3rd

The spice has died down quite a bit. Getting more leather than anything at this point. Still some pepper on the back end. Possibly some cocoa on the finish. Some woody more milk chocolate flavors during an attempted retrohale.

Final 3rd

I minor touch up was required at this point. For the most part the leather seems to have subsided. The pepper has come back on mirroring the earlier portion of the smoke. I detect some creaminess. Honestly sometimes I can't tell if this is something I always taste right before the smoke is about to turn acrid and my time with it has ended.

Conclusion

I know everyone could argue for days on end about whether or not this cigar is good value. It's short filler sure, but it's the best short filler stick you have ever had. Construction and burn are a quality mirroring it's bigger brothers. It's not the most nuanced smoke, but it's not supposed to be. I babied this thing to a half inch, and it lasted quite a long time. It's exactly what is required of it, and that's a straight up Liga flavor bomb. I will be buying many of these.

Smoke Time - 55 minutes

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Nice review, though I can't believe it took you 55 minutes to smoke. It took me 40 minutes once, and I tried to smoke slow!:smokingco:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Neither can I. I really noticed how slow it was moving halfway through the second third. I thought maybe it was my fault, and I would find some tunneling on my next ash. Nope, soft cone. I was really blown away how long it lasted.

Full disclosure, I had one previously that lasted around 40.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Just lit up my FIRST ever Papas Fritas! Only 1/2 inch in, but obviously LP, great construction, great flavors! A little Liga flavor bomb, just what I was hoping they'd be! Brilliant. Not sure if I like it more than the Baitfish, but heck, nothing wrong with having both :)

One odd thing, though ... I was BLOWN AWAY by how infused this thing smelled! The wrapper, the foot, the cold draw ... total ACID. Does anyone know why this is? Maybe JD or Steve have talked about it, but I don't recall. I was really taken aback and rather concerned, I have to admit. But thankfully the cigar tastes great and I'm honestly detecting no infused qualities I don't think. Weird though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One odd thing, though ... I was BLOWN AWAY by how infused this thing smelled! The wrapper, the foot, the cold draw ... total ACID. Does anyone know why this is? Maybe JD or Steve have talked about it, but I don't recall. I was really taken aback and rather concerned, I have to admit. But thankfully the cigar tastes great and I'm honestly detecting no infused qualities I don't think. Weird though.
Interesting... I've been through about 5 tins of them now, and I haven't had any that smelled like the infused cigars. I'm going to open one of my most recently received tins later today and see if maybe it is a later batch thing or if it was only an oddity on the one you received.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Interesting... I've been through about 5 tins of them now, and I haven't had any that smelled like the infused cigars. I'm going to open one of my most recently received tins later today and see if maybe it is a later batch thing or if it was only an oddity on the one you received.
I'm also on my 5th tin - from several different boxes - and have not noticed this either; however, I have heard some people mention/complain about not leaving the Fritas in the tin out of worry of them getting a "tin-ny/metallic" smell/flavor. Could this be what njstone means?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know, I never even though about them picking up a "flavor" from the tin they're in. I'm going to have to take mine out now just in case.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I'm also on my 5th tin - from several different boxes - and have not noticed this either; however, I have heard some people mention/complain about not leaving the Fritas in the tin out of worry of them getting a "tin-ny/metallic" smell/flavor. Could this be what njstone means?

Are they taking them out of the cello and then storing them in the tin for extended periods? I can't imagine this happening if they are in the cello

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I never even though about them picking up a "flavor" from the tin they're in. I'm going to have to take mine out now just in case.
I haven't had this happen to any of mine, and I store them in the tins. Of course, mine also don't seem to last very long... :cbig: