What's new

Lighter Care

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Keeping in line with another recent question from a newer member, I thought I would provide some info about lighter care, which was dealt with some time ago. Although the initial thread is over four years ago, there is some useful information, which I will add to.

The number one thing people should do is use good quality fluid. There are several companies that have 5x or quintuple refined fuel. This is essential in keeping your lighter functioning. The higher the refinement quality, the less chance your lighter will become clogged by particles. This is the number one cause for lighters to not function. Yes, you could use a 3x or 4x refined fluid, but frankly, why would you when the cost of the 5x is the same. Thunderbird, Vector and even Xikar are excellent butane fluids, which can be used in virtually every butane lighter, whether it is a soft flame or torch type.

The on the thing to think about though with fluids, some companies like S.T. Dupont require you to utilize their fluid to ensure warrantee. I use the Dupont Xtend Jet and Mini Jet lighter and have never had any problems with either lighter, as I only use the Xtend Fluid.

Another care issue should be the burner or flame mechanism. When you carry a lighter in your pocket, lint and dust accumulate and can become lodged in the mechanism. Normally, you can simply blow on the burner to blow any dust, but sometimes, you may need some help. Note, extreme care should be used during this step.

To clear lint, dust or other debris from the flame/burner mechanism, you can use an aerosol cannister to blow air onto the mechanism. The same type of aerosol that you use to blow debris from your computer keyboard. Unfortunately, this aerosol is extremely flammable. A variation to this method is the use of a compressor. This is the option that I use. Simply blow the air source directly over the burner, which usually clears the blockage.

One way to avoid dust getting into your lighter is to keep your lighter in a case.

Another issue is failure to purge the fuel reservoir. The easiest method to do this is to the keep the lighter right side up (Flame up). Insert a tip of jewelers screwdriver or small awl to depress the fill valve on the underside of the lighter. This will allow all of the fuel still inside the lighter to release. This is important because it allows for complete fuel fills, instead of having just air inside the reservoir.

To fill, turn the lighter upside down, fuel filler valve upright. Insert the fuel container tip into the lighter valve and depress the fuel bottle 5-8 seconds. This should fill your lighter completely, but you may want to push the fuel filler valve an additional 2 seconds to ensure the complete fill.

For major repairs, always take your lighter to an authorized factory service.

I hope this information helps you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info/advice and I agree good fluid is definitely the place to start (besides a quality lighter).

I've also found using an inflating needle, like the ones you use to pump a basketball up, are good for purging the lighter. The little hole allows you to direct the excess fluid in one direction. Not that it's necessary, but, I find it convenient.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good info. Good point about the case too. A lot of people over look that part. Besides protecting the finish on the lighter it helps to keep lint and dirt out of the lighter.

Also another point is when lighting a cigar many people put the lighter too close to the cigars. It will still light 1" away from the tip of the flame. When putting the cigar too close, smoke and ash builds up on the jets.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
AB you're the guy to ask this question I guess. I have a no name triple torch, it worked every time I lit it until I filled it with Vector fluid. Now it just makes a little pop of a flame and goes out. When I use this fuel on other lighters I had the same experience. When I fill the lighter I turn it upside down and fill as normal. Any idea what's going on? My buddy's give me all sorts of shit about being the lighter killer. :squinteye

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
lol.. Bill, I would turn the lighter right side up. Purge the tank and then let it sit for a few. Attempt to purge it again, getting all of the air and fluid out. Then try filling it again. Vector is a 5x refined fluid so you should be good to go. Remember, air in the tank is a bad thing and can cause the lighter to be faulty.

And I'm the cellphone killer.. lol

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
To add to the refilling your lighter.

Wait until your lighter has reached room temperature until lighting again, i.e. if your lighter still has frost residue on it, don't hit the ignition.

Great info Bill.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great information! Although sound advice in regards to using quality fuel, I have used average butane for years and have had zero problems (Blazer, Colibri, Xicar etc.)......maybe I'm lucky, or my lighters are anomalies. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I figured out the problem. When I turne it down to fill it, I never turned it back up. :hammersma:rolling: Works like a champ now. :applause: Thanks for the advice.